Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Meeting of Minds (Elpsis)

Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan

Calana felt an unbidden shiver run through her body as Shikoba's words unfolded. There was a power and a truth to them she did not doubt and could not deny. Suddenly she looked at the pleasant environs just a little more sceptically, as if previously hidden enemies might appear.

Reaching out to the spirits she felt the power flowing through the forests beyond, the water, the people in the city. However, there was the background energy she had always felt, yet always just assumed was the tapestry of life. Now, she started to think it might be more than that.

"I…see," she said with a deep breath. "I think I understand your perspective better now, Shikoba. Is it ever overwhelming for you? Are there certain places which are better or worse?"

She wondered whether the lost and the damned of a battlefield would be like a cacophony…or whether it might be the simple, more poignant dramas of a lost child by the river which might hurt more.

XXX

Phylis frowned. "Hmmph, it is strange now I consider it. No, not all the kings and queens are young, yet many are. Traditionally, Naboo has an elected monarch limited to a certain period. Hmm, they also have an elected body which does most of the governing. Where many planets would have a president or chief minister, we had a king or queen. Hmm, it is a rather strange system; I see now as I have passed among the galaxy."

She fished in her pouch and produced her datapad. She showed some pictures of some of the kings and queens of old, complete with their elaborate makeup and outfits – for both genders. The Qadiri might be brought to mind the ornate court garb of the Shahbanu and Saoshyant.

"Hmm, the Gungans? They're a curious folk, much misunderstood. They live beneath the waves, and can breathe both air and water." She pulled up an image of several of them, followed by their cities and technology on her datapad. "There has been much strife at times between our people. Hmm, I suppose humans came to the world like the Eldorai did here…but the Gungans live underwater so for much of the time there has been separation. The stereotype is that Gungans are, hmm, foolish, dating back to a particular individual from almost 900 years ago. Very sad. Hmmph, it would be treating all Qadiri one way because of Saoshyant Araminta III," she added. Araminta was a particularly scandalous Saoshyant from a similar time ago who was infamous for her impiety and greed. Basically, Phylis was showing off a little with her history.

XXX

Tylania nodded in approval and rose. "Excellent. I think this has been most productive so far. For my part, I would like to say that Yastoida and the Vash are open to further trade with all your lands. We have places available here at the city, and elsewhere, for you to make trading centres. Down here we need technology, metals and tools most of all. We have the finest timber in the world, as well as ethically harvested seafood and leather. Nothing we need to decide now, but if you might be interested, I can put some of our people here in touch with yours to get things started."

"I think we've done good work so far, I think. Let's take a quick break. Refreshments will be offered outside. Lady Elpsis, Lady Lia, I have something you might be interested in. Would you care to join myself and Master Alince upstairs?"

Phylis Alince Phylis Alince

"I have traversed battlefields and ruins steeped in death. I beheld a world perish."
"A world...an entire world," Yaritha exclaimed, struggling to process.
"Within the blink of an eye. It was...gone."
"You mean...literally?"
"I mean what I speak. I am being very deliberate with my words," Shikoba spoke sharply.
"How can...that be done?"
"With a machine. A powerful machine of evil, but guided by a human hand."
Yaritha muttered a Vash curse.
"Millions of souls, crying out in agony only to be extinguished...forever. Except they linger on, trapped. The wheel turns. For the sky people such calamities are normal. I dare not to return to that place, for I fear I would be swallowed on. But, truly, usually the saddest are the forgotten. Places that seem rich in life, but the people have grown cold and deaf to the call of the spirits. A lost soul murdered by a jealous spouse, a child killed in an accident in a factory out of negligence. No one can hear their wails. Even for me 'tis difficult to hear them sometimes."

xxx

Sahmara suppressed a chuckle when she saw the image of one of the queens. "She looks like the Shahbânu! What does she do after her...period as ruler is over. If she spends all these years as an ornament, it will not have prepared her for much. My sister wishes for all queens to be elected...but not for a few years or as an untested child."

Tarzar leaned close to study the images on the datapad. "I will not lie, these Gun-gans look very queer to me. But they manage to build cities beneath the waves? That is impressive. No people that accomplishes such a feat can be made of simpletons. No more than anyone else's. But how do they keep out the tides and the beasts of the ocean? Some kind of shielding technology?" he glanced at an image showing a Gungan warrior wielding an electropole. "That weapon reminds me of the spears common to our people, but I see it's more advanced. Some kind of electrical charge. But if these people live underwater, they must have sealed its electronic components somehow."

xxx

Elpsis frowned slightly. Thus far she didn't feel productive. We exchanged platitudes, sat down, gave speeches about how bad or good things are for us, she thought irritably. A holocall would've been cheaper. Saved fuel, saved time. Of course, then she wouldn't have been able to actually see any of the people she was talking to. But she had to work to do back home. Urgent work. "Fine, let's see what it is," she said a bit tersely and arose. Undiplomatic, but she hadn't been made queen because she was polite.
Izana's lips pressed together slightly, but she said nothing.

Lalax glanced towards Tylania, curious. Then she arose from her seat and walked up to Yara. "Excuse me, Warrior Yara of the Forests and Seas. I was told one of your kin would be arriving here. Yaritha Greatpine. Do you know perchance if she is in these halls already?" she asked politely, an unmistakeable note of fondness in her tone when she mentioned the redhead's name.

Yara had been standing by the door, her face impassive as she looked out across the courtyard. As Lalax approached she turned.

"One moment." She pulled up her communicator and spoke a few words in her language, listened to the reply and replaced the device. "She is waiting in a teahouse not far from here with two others. I can take you if you wish?"

It seemed Yara too was eager to go and do something else.

XXX

Calana bowed her head slightly. "The cruelty and malice of beings is endless, I fear. I have heard of these wars and battles across entire worlds, but thankfully I have not seen them. The wars on Tygara have been ghastly enough for me."

She looked to Shikoba. "Can you help them find peace? Either to give them peace or help them pass on?"

A moment later footsteps would announce the arrival of Yara and Lalax. The soldier gave Calana a nod. "Priestess."

"Lieutenant," Calana said with a bow.

If Shikoba chose to look at Yara with her Sight, she would see that the warrior had some shadows around her, those slain in battle. She was not a Force user herself, but her prowess was easy to see.

XXX

Phylis nodded to Sahmara. "Yes, hmm. The record has not always been good. Where one lacks experience, they can often become prey to advisors and ministers who push their agendas. The most famous queen of ancient history had a Senator; delegate to the galactic republic, who secretly was a Sith Lord. Hmm, a Sith is a rival group of Zari who use the Dark Side. Anyway, it's supposed by many that he helped the first of the 'young queens' to get elected to be his puppet."

It may not have been true, but it made more sense to Phylis than the official story.

"Ah yes, the technology of the Gungans are very interesting, and often quite different from the galactic standard for the reasons you mention. Hmm, they have a strong focus on plasma technology. If it's a field of interest for you, I have some examples on my ship. Most interesting are the interface shields which…"

At that moment Phylis seemed to realise she'd been called. She let out a small 'hmmph'. "Well, it seems I have been summoned. If you wish we can discuss more later?" she asked both of the Qadiri.

XXX

Phylis shuffled over to the group. "Ah, hmm, hello again, Elpsis," she said. "And your majesty, of course," she added to Lia.

"Yeedai Phylis," the Queen said with a nod. "Lady Tylania says you have something to show us? Something only for us?"

"Oh, yes, hmm. It's something we've been working on. Work in progress and all that. I am quite excited to see what you think." The Jedi did seem even more fluttery than usual. "Your sister, Sahmara is very nice," she added to Elpsis.

They ascended the stairs and passed up into a higher chamber. To one side was a locked door which Tylania approached and opened.

A workroom filled with benches and tools lay within. Crystals of all sizes and types lay in carefully labelled racks. The main focus of the room though was naturally the seven-foot-tall white metal golem with glowing blue eyes. To Elpsis the golem would gleam with Force energies beneath the metal exterior, clearly powered by it rather than pure electricity.

"So, hmm, I have long been fascinated with Alkahest, Light Alchemy, as you know. This is an expression of that. Raindrop, this is Queen Vondra'Lia and Mirza Elpsis Kerrigan. They are, hmm, friends of mine. I wanted to introduce you to some outsiders, so here we are!"

Raindrop regarded the two new people for a moment. "I have heard of you both," it finally said. The voice was modulated, deep, but not loud. "I am Raindrop, and you are the third and fourth persons I have talked to. It is also a good morning, I have been informed, it has been decided by Phylis Alince."

Tylania smiled slightly. "That's why I've been told."

"Hmmph," Phylis said with a slight pout. "Anyway, I wanted to introduce them to you both so you could see my latest endeavours."

"Aye, I strive to," Shikoba spoke. "'Tis not easy. For some the pain, the isolation is too strong...and that is left is to grant them peace. Where their path leads them in the otherworlds, I cannot say. I have traversed the empty void, but I think that 'tis the true afterlife." She breathed in, closed her eyes. When she opened them, they once again had their normal brown colour.

Yaritha was about to say something when she suddenly heard movement. She turned, and her eyes lit up. "Lalax, my love!" she exclaimed. Moving forward, she rushed towards the Xioquo woman, and enveloped her in an embrace. "How are you, my moon? I heard you were at a meeting...so I didn't want to bother you...Alpsis better be treating you well!"

xxx

"I'd like that, Mistress Yeedai," Sahmara said.
"I'll borrow this, if you don't mind?" Tarzar asked, holding up the datapad with the technical images. "I promise you'll get it back." He glanced at Sahmara, smiled. "Well, time for some Vash food. Have you tried any?"
"Shikoba cooked sometimes. But she eternally complained that she could not get the proper ingredients," Xalda suddenly chimed in.
"I told you not to sneak up like that," Sahmara chided her, though her tone was finged with fondness.
Xalda looked puzzled. "I did not sneak."
"You know what I mean..."

Hazani watched Elpsis and Lia depart, a curious and somewhat suspicious expression on her face. She turned when she heard Shazora approach her. "Lady Jai Vahal," she said.
"I thought we might discuss some matters of joint interest, if you would,"
"Yes, I think we should."
"Agha Jai Nasrada," Izana suddenly said. "A word? Concerning questions of the Temple."
"Very well," Mahsa smiled thinly.

xxx

One wondered what Elpsis had been expecting. But probably not this. "Raindrop?" she asked, a bit baffled at the...unconvetional name. "Nice to meet you. Call me Elpsis Jai Saobana or Karrigan'Alpsis," she clarified firmly. The golem glowed fantastically through her Force sight. "So...Alkahest, huh? Funnily enough, the readings I'm getting remind me a bit of the technology used for my arm and leg. No battery like with a machine. An imbued crystal, right?" she frowned. "How self-aware are they?"

Last edited:

As Calana watched, the aura around Shikoba dissipated a little and her eyes reverted to a normal colour. Calana breathed out, aware only now she'd been holding it in.

"That's a noble thing you do, Shikoba."

She too was about to say more when guests arrived!

Lalax let out a little excited noise like a cheer when she saw Yaritha and ran forward to embrace her. She gave Lalax a little kiss on the cheek and cuddled with her tightly.

"I am well, oh radiant forest sun!" she declared. "All is well, the meeting has paused, so I could take my leave at last. Yes, sister Alpsis treats me well, as she should. I trust and hope I have not kept you too long?"

Catching sight of Calana she bowed politely. "Priestess, I thank you for bringing Yaritha to me. And to you, Shikoba, I greet you once more."

Yara meanwhile leaned against the doorway. She caught sight of the waiter at the tea room.

"Barrock, some tea to go, please, you know what I like," she said with a smile.

"Yes, ma'am," he said, almost coming to attention. He hastened off to fetch the drink.

XXX

Raindrop tilted their head to the side. "I would definite myself as quite self-aware, Elpsis Jai Saobana. Though I do not possess the awareness of omniscience, I am capable of perceiving and understanding all organic senses except smell and taste. These functions are unnecessary for me, as I do not require sustenance to continue existence. I chose the name 'Raindrop' 418 minutes ago. I like the word, and I think spiritually and philosophically it suits me."

Phylis sighed. "Hmmph, well, yes. As you can see, Raindrop is very aware of their surroundings and willing to share this information. But yes, spot on, Elpsis, well done, hmm. It is a method I had sampled before, but not properly made use of. You could say that it was, hmm, waiting for the final push."

"Phylis' skills with Alkahest are quite impressive," Tylania added. "Using the Light to imbue items in this way is not something I would have considered. Certainly not to create a sentient being from it."

"Yes, and that is where we are at with Raindrop. Hmm, they are a sentient being, not created with AI, but through a more natural process of weaving the elements together. There is going to be, hmm, a lot of work and consideration to come, but I am happy with how they have developed."

Lia had mostly been silent, but now approached Raindrop. "You say this being is one you created? It was not made from an existing creature?"

"Hmm, no. In the same way that computers can create realistic personality matrixes, the same is true here."

"So, you have created…life?" Lia asked softly.

"Hmmph, I guess so…?" Phylis said, puzzled.

"What do you think of this, Raindrop?"

"An interesting question, Vondra'Lia. If you are asking, how do I feel about being created, I do not have a strong opinion as yet. Does the child get asked how they feel about being birthed? Does the android get asked about how they feel being manufactured? I have been created, but I am an independent being. Phylis Alince and Tylania have told me this and I have confirmed this."

"Yes, hmm, I have placed no inhibitors and controls on Raindrop. They are their own being. To do otherwise would be to deny them the true meaning of life."

Raindrop looked back to Elpsis. "Elpsis Jai Saobana, your arm and leg emanate energies similar to what powers me. However, you are organic. Were you damaged so you needed to have these parts replaced, or did you choose to do so? I perceive energies within you, barely contained."

"May the moonlight illuminate your path, daughter of the shadows," Shikoba responded to Lalax. Yaritha wasn't sure whether the ghost whisperer was making fun of her or just being her usual self.

Regardless, Yaritha returned the kiss all too eagerly. It had been too long. "No, no, it was all right, my bright moon. I had good company." She wasn't really sure she quite felt that way, but Lalax would have felt guilty and she didn't want that. Gently she took Lalax' hand. The Xioquo's skin was grey, whereas hers was tanned. "Come, sit down! The tea is pleasant. Have things been going...well inside?" she wasn't sure whether Lalax was allowed to talk about what was going on, so she kept the question open-ended.

xxx

To create...life.

"I lost my arm in battle. Got frostbite after being spaced, so it had to be chopped off. My leg was crippled in a different fight. It had already been patched together many times before that, so..." Elpsis trailed off and shrugged, as if getting maimed was a normal occurence.

"You'll want to keep Raindrop away from Myrkr. I know ysalamiri bubbles muck with my limbs to varying degrees. "I can figure out why a Sith would want to try their hand at 'creating life'. But you're no Sith or a dick like most Jedi, so the question is, why? And why are you showing me this?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom