• Create Account

Photo

What makes a Villian truly memorable?

Best Answer Gabriel Volturi, 18 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

Darth Ragnarok

I thought I'd try and put my two cents in here with this character as he is by far my most memorable villain. When it came down to writing for Gabriel in the past it came down to one question: What would I not do in my RL? I know it seems sort of simple, and it can't apply to everyone. But for me, as someone that before Gabe only played morally good characters I thought it was important to make someone outside my comfort zone, to really challenge myself as a writer. So for me the character needed to be not so much of an open book. Even years later much of Gabriel's history and motivations are a mystery. He does what he does, and despite looking like he just wants to see the world burn on the outside, he always has a purpose to his actions.

The next thing that was important I felt was to take a look around at the other 'evil characters'. What are they doing right? What are they doing wrong? Its very important to be constantly breaking the mold. At that guy's craftshop I saw a lot of villains that were to over powered and godlike. I just didn't like the implications of that. If your character is already perfect it left no room for change, to evolve. The character should always strive to evolve, with out that one motivation you'll always stall out in role playing. Sure, now Gabriel is quit powerful. Out can never truly kill him off as long as he has his clones and mimetic technology. (which is stuff I should try and run through the factories if I am to transfer completely to Chaos). But in truth this is Gabriel's greatest weakness. He will always be dependent on it. This is how he sees perfection happening, but will be his downfall in the end.

And lastly, create a compelling story for the character. Something that gives motivation and drive. That provides a moral compass for the character, even if that compass is always pointing south. As long as it provides limitations to what he can achieve. And no I don't see limitations as just that. I see them as goals. Something that the character will always strive to over come in their quest. Its important to make something that the character wants more than anything, and he'she would be willing to burn the entire galaxy down to obtain. For Gabriel that desire is immortality. He has made great strides in the goal, but will still want more, eventually flying to close to the sun.

Anyways, I'll stop my rambling now.

Go to the full post »