An Anoat cannon dismounted for maintenance
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To provide a repeater electromagnetic plasma cannon
- Image Source: NavWeaps
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: Electromagnetic plasma cannon
- Manufacturer: Ringovinda Systems
- Model: Anoat repeating electromagnetic plasma cannon
- Affiliation: Open-Market
- Modularity: Can be mounted in various turrets.
- Production: Mass-Produced
- Material: Standard blaster components, standard power generator components
- Classification: Repeating electromagnetic plasma cannon
- Size: Stationary or Vehicle Mounted
- Length: 1.9m
- Weight: 85kg (without power plant) 140 kg (with power generator)
- Ammunition Type: Power Cell and Gas Canister
- Ammunition Capacity: The gun is tied into the power generator and have effectively unlimited ammunition.
- Effective Range: Battlefield range.
- Rate of Fire: Approximately 3 shots per second at standard rate of charge. (effectively ~80-90 rounds per minute)
- Targeting computer
- Advanced cooling system
- Power generator
DETAILED SPECIAL FEATURES
The barrel actually contains an outer sheath containing heat pipes with flared fins so as to enhance the flow of heat from the inner barrel to the outer environment, and also have enough waste heat left over to power a targeting computer. Even so, the heat buildup inside the cannon is such that, for each second spent firing, at least one more second has to be spent cooling the barrel down.
It was found that the Kaeshana hypervelocity cannon excelled at more surgical uses of firepower, but lacked the explosive power to deal with massed enemies. The Anoat is borne from the need for more explosive firepower from defensive emplacements that cannot be redirected by lightsabers, a requirement made important by the increasing use of Force-users on battlefields across the galaxy. As is usual for weapons designed for use in defensive emplacements, it is designed for rapid rates of fire. However, such rapid rates of fire come at several costs: the heat buildup inside both the weapon and the power generator require a cooldown For this reason, a waste heat recovery device is used and can usually power a targeting computer while the weapon is active. Also, the use of heat pipes containing zirconium and flared fins in its advanced cooling system, with HFC-134a inside the pipe enhances the ability of the Anoat to expel waste heat. Of course, such heat makes an Anoat very easy to detect on thermal sensors upon firing, while the very nature of electromagnetic plasma makes it very easy to detect on EM sensors.
As for the explosive firepower, the explosion of a shot fired by the Anoat has a blast radius of about 2 meters; if a lightsaber-wielder attempts to block an Anoat shot, the contact of the round against the lightsaber would cause an explosion that would release the plasma contained inside the lightsaber back onto the wielder. Which, given the nature of electromagnetic plasma weapons, would likely result in the vaporization of the areas hit by the plasma explosion, potentially reducing the targets into molten slag or possibly causing severe burns. Heavily armored targets would get holes punched into the armor, creating weak spots through which a second shot may be fired and penetrate the same spot.
Finally, the Anoat can be set to fire in bursts of either 1, 2 or 3 seconds each, firing three shots per second while the weapon is being fired, and also requiring to cool down for 1, 2 or 3 seconds respectively after being fired.
- For point-defense use, it is worth 2 point-defense emplacements
- For starfighter use, it is worth 2 starfighter laser cannons
- Great penetration power (can penetrate up to 350mm of reinforced duracrete, or equivalent, while more heavily armored vehicles would have a dent into their armor)
- Explosive firepower
- Cannot be redirected by lightsabers
- Very Rapid Fire: the Anoat can manage a very high rate of fire in short bursts (usually 1-3 seconds).
- Versatile roles: The Anoat can be found mounted on vehicles, used as a fire support weapon, or built into defensive emplacements.
- Power Supply: When not mounted on vehicles or in an emplacement the Anoat requires a large external power supply to operate effectively. This is both heavy and unwieldy.
- Very easy to detect using thermal and EM sensors
- The mount is vulnerable when it isn't firing: a swift enemy can fire at the gun and take it out between bursts
- Fire-support versions must have a drivetrain to move it around as a result of the requirements of the power supply