OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To make a super predator for the board
- Image Credit: under each image; all from Kong Skull Island; the Skull Crawlers
- Canon: N/A
- Links: N/A
- Name: Kailai
- Designation: non-Sentient
- Homeworld: Pzob
- Language: Growls, grunts, roars, body language, etc
- Average Lifespan:
- Estimated Population: Scattered
- Description: Adult Kailai tower at 5.5 meters (18 feet) tall. Most species who manage to see a living Kailai describe them in terms that sound almost like mythical demons. Often they come in grey, white, and black with distinguishing marks on each of them. Their massive jaws are lined with razor sharp, flesh rending teeth, their two powerful limbs quickly pull them across great distances to charge and outrun their prey. Each arm ends with a hand, that have no opposable thumbs but have thick, poweful claws. Behind them trails their thrashing tail. Their agile tail that helps them keep a modicum of balance, lash out at enemies from behind, climb, and so on.
- Breathes: 1 and 2 Atmosphere
- Average height of adults: 5.5 meters (18 feet)
- Average length of adults: 8.5 meters (27 feet)
- Skin color: White, grey, black.
- Hair color: None
- Distinctions: Kailai best look like massive snakes with two legs--or giant lizards that lost their hind legs. They don't really look like anything else in the galaxy. Most have white facial marks that makes their heads look like terrifying skulls. Some have white streaks along their tails, legs, or back. To the casual (or terrified and fleeing) observer, these facial marks look rather the same. But close inspection reveals that no two Kailai have the same facial markings or body marks. Some speculate that these white marks across the rest of their bodies are scar tissue, but there is no available conclusive evidence on that. Females tend to be a meter to a half a meter smaller than males, but more agile and faster than their counter parts.
- Races: None
- Tough Hide: The Kailai have incredibly tough hide that is vibroblade and slugthrower proof. It is also incredibly resistant to blasters and light sabers, but since the Kailai don't have scales, no protection against blunt force trauma or anything of that nature.
- Powerful: The Kailai are no light weights, and they have the muscle power for their size. They can easily shove aside a speeder or walker with their arm or a flick of their tail. Their biting power can easily snap a being in half, or crush durasteel plates.
- Incredible smell and hearing: The Kailai have highly advanced senses of smell and hearing. This gives them massive advantages in tracking down their prey and discerning their direction. They are able to track by smell for kilometers on end, and thanks to their massive legs, they have no problem traveling that distance.
- Stealth: The Kailai have no problem hiding and waiting for days for their prey. Their ability to lie and remain still until an unwitting victim falls upon them is incredible. Despite their size, they are able to blend into rocks with ease or make themselves appear to be rock-like formations.
- Balance: The Kailai have only two legs and a strange body shape with their spine extending far behind them and a tragically high center of gravity. While they have evolved to have a tail that off-sets this just a small amount, they can still be knocked over without much challenge for their size. A speeder hitting them from the side could easily knock a Kailai over. A force push could send them backwards or off on their backs, or a Rancor could just bull rush one and send it sprawling. The point is, they aren't hard to knock down.
- Environment: The Kailai cannot live in a dry enviroment. They must live in humidity. Partially because of this and partially because of their massive size, the Kailai are best in Jungles or swamps. They could do well in humid Forests, but with out a humidity over 80%, they will dry out and die.
- Carnivores: As long as there is something to hunt and kill, the Kailai will be ok. However, they are unable to digest plant matter. If there are no animals for an extended period of time, the Kailai will start to eat each other. When that's done if there are any survivors, they will starve to death if they do not find something to kill and eat.
- Undomesticatable: The Kailai are unable to be domesticated in the least. They are by far too wild and will sooner eat their domesticators than be domesticated. Even Force methods on the Knight or Padawan levels to domesticate the Kailai would be found worthless. It would take a master's level or a grand master's level of could sway their brains with a great deal of difficulty. Even in this case, when the force user's concentration is diverted, there's a strong probability the Kailai would revert back to eating everything in site. OOCly, this is a clause put in place to keep someone from abusing this submission.
- Eyesight: The Kailai can only see motion, they are blind to everything else in the world. If someone moves slow enough or remains still the Kailai will not see them. Besides this, the Kailai's neck doesn't really offer a lot of motion. So the Kailai are blind to anything behind them. Pretty much past their two legs, they are totally blind.
- Loud: the Kailai are heavy, not to mention tall. Its pretty much impossible to not see or hear them moving past you. While they are fantastic at remaining motionless in wait for their prey, once a Kailai starts moving, its all but impossible for them to remain concealed.
- Diet: The Kailai can eat any other living creature that is not a plant (and not obviously poison). All plant materials are poisonous to the Kailai.
- Communication: Growls, grunts, roars, screams, body language, etc.
- Technology level: Non existent.
- Religion/Beliefs: Non existent
- General behavior: The Kailai from packs ranging from 10-50. Each pack lives in a warren. Warrens are typically underground, though they can be on top of mountains, in cliff sides, or natural caves--so long as these places are humid and near a jungle. Warrens tend to be far apart, if they are not, then the warrens will either go to war for the disputed area, and the winners will control the land. Kailai have litters of Spawn that range from 4-10. Kailai live by "the strong survive." It is not uncommon for out of the litter, for less than half to survive. The others are usually murdered by those stronger, starved, die of thirst, or are eaten by their parents. The Kailai packs are ruled by their Harbinger. The Harbinger is the biggest, strongest, and most combat capable of all the Kailai. Gender doesn't matter. The Harbinger rules through force, and is killed by the next Harbinger when they are stronger and able to tear the leadership role from them.
Scientists who are brave or stupid enough to study the Kailai say that there's no real signs of them emerging from non-sentience any time soon. They exhibit no real social rituals of worth except possibly their hunting. The Kailai are skillful hunters alone, making masterful combatants. Where they exist with other super hunters like the Rancor or the Acklay, they often go toe-to-toe with these beasts in all-on combat. If a Kailai is killed by a certain race (human, wookiee, Rancor, etc), scientists noticed that the Kailai seem to gang up and periodically eliminate the the race in question from their domain with extreme prejudice. Scientists call this a Grudge, which can last up to 5 generations. They note it as one of the most fascinating survival mechanisms built into the Kailai, and it could be the large reason why there have been few (if any) super predators to evolve along side them that could rival their prowess on Pzob.
Scientists are unsure when exactly the Kailai evolved on Pzob, however according to Gamorrean legend, the Kailai come from a race of mounts that were lost into the wild and were changed by the gods into the massive killers that they are today. After in-depth genetic research it became clear that the Kailai show signs of DNA tampering, making it highly likely that the gods the Gamorreans speak of were probably just geneticists who mutated the beasts to create the superkillers they are today. Several scientists also point out that it is a viable reason for the lack of any real genetic diversification and a lack of other known Kailai races. These discoveries were made during the year 0 BBY. Scientists agree that the genetic creation of the Kailai occurred around 487 BBY.
Not long after, scientists stopped researching the Kailai--mainly because of the danger involved and declared them to be non-sentient and believed they would remain so for hundreds to thousands of years at least. When their pure feral nature became apparent, poachers began to move the beasts around as best as they could for the highest bidder. Unfortunately many of the arenas across the galaxy (like the one in Geonosis) are ill-equipped for the Kailai since the beasts require such intense humidity to survive. Unfortunately, not every smuggler or poacher took the proper precautions in dealing with these beasts. Mistakes were made, and unwittingly the Kailai spread to a few other remote worlds and rejoins that still had the proper humidity for their existence.
Oddly enough, their lack of genetic diversity made the Kailai all but immune to the Gulag plague. However, the plague seemed to have an adverse, unintended affect on the Kailai. Without anything to eat, many of the warrens of the predators died out from starvation. As beings dropped dead from sickness, Kailai dropped dead from hunger. Arguably, the saddest way to die for such massive beasts. Given their non-sentient nature, most were unaffected by the Netherworld event, except for the change in foodstuff available, most really didn't notice a change at all.
By and large the Kailai have existed on the fringes of the galaxy as super hungry beasts that are incredibly feral. Their lack of capability to be domesticated and their need for intense humidity is the only real thing that has kept them from becoming as wide-spread as Rancors, their biggest competitor race.
Edited by Ardgal Raxis, 21 August 2017 - 11:56 AM.