OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: Personal armor for Brent Smith
- Image Source: eBay
- Canon Link: Shell Spider Silk, Ballistic Shielding, Jammer
- Restricted Missions: None
- Primary Source: None
- Manufacturer: Brent Smith
- Model: None
- Affiliation: Brent Smith
- Modularity: None
- Production: Unique
- Material: Shell Spider silk, armor weave, electronic components
- Classification: Anti-Blaster
- Weight: 10 kg (22 lbs)
- Blasters: High
- Kinetic: Low
- Lightsabers: Low
- Vibroblades: High
- Slugthrowers: High
- Environment High
- Holsters/magazine slots: The ShadowZal has several built-in holsters and magazine slots along the inside of it. Because of the ShadowZal's appearance an outside visual inspection will pretty much have a hard to impossible time spotting these concealed weapons. Of course an easy X-ray scan or something to that nature (or someone with keen senses who can smell the gunpowder or weapon parts) could find the weapons without a hitch at all. These hidden holsters hold up to 6 pistol sized weapons, 1 concealed carbine-size rifle, 3 grenades, and 12 ammo magazines or clips. Of course, adding this many weapons will greatly increase the encumberment of the wearer, slow them down, make it harder for them to move stealthily (if at all), and all in all, add up to a "its harder to move around" sort of thing.
- Environmentally regulated: The ShadowZal is environmentally sealed to help regulate against harsh heat, cold, or anything in between. Its not sealed against the vacuum of space, but it will help on planets of dubious hospitality.
- Digital life-support system: Feeding the info to the user's independent HUD and/or to the user's squad's HUDs, this Digital life support system relays the status of Brent and any injuries he's incurred over a basic commlink connection.
- Jammer: Not a stealth unit, and certainly nothing special, the ShadowZals can emit a jammer that Jams comm frequencies and scanners within Brent's immediate area (4 meters, or about 13 feet). The problem is when this is activated, the built in Digital life support system cannot be transmitted to anyone working with Brent, and Brent can neither receive nor send any Comm messages either.Its double blind.
- Built-in recorder: This built in recorder holds up to six hours of video and audio. Great for spy missions or deep-cover intel gathering.
- Spy Pockets: As a Spy, Brent sometimes has to be able to move through some tight spots to rely messages, data codes, or other spy-like endevours. The pockets of the ShadowZal give "hidden backs" to make it easier to hide pocket things about the size of a datastick. Anything bigger that wouldn't easily fit in the palm of your hand won't fit in these concealed pockets. Also, these pockets offer no concealment protection against scanners or such, they are just a way to visually hide things in the pockets.
- Shell spider silk: Shell spider silk offers some pretty great defense against blasters and vibroblades. The ShadowZal is made mostly of this material, granting it a great defense against these attacks.
- Ballistic Shielding: The shell spider silk is re-enforced with ballistic shielding, which gives Brent a pretty good defense against slug throwers. It won't do much anything for the kinetic damage, but its pretty good at stopping the bullets.
- Tricks: The ShadowZal is designed for Brent to use on spy ops and such for the FOSB. So, its got a few tricks up its sleeve like the concealed holsters and the hidden pocket backs. Now, those things will still make Brent encumbered if maxed out, but it offers some great options in the middle of missions. Also, there are some pretty great tools like the Scanner Jammer and the camera/datarecorder for deep infiltration missions.
- Agility: By itself (as in without any weapons in it) the ShadowZal is pretty lose fitting and light, offering considerable ease of movement. There's no knowing when you will have to make a quick get away in the field, or get in a fist fight or sword fight with some crazy guard.
- EMP/Ion: The ShadowZal has some electronic bits like the Digital life support, the recorder, the Jammer, the enviromental regulator and so on. These parts are vulnerable to an EMP or Ion attack. If these parts get damaged, until they are repaired the ShadowZal is just a really cool looking trench coat made from shell spider silk and such.
- Kinetic damage: Te ShadowZal is designed to stop a lot of projectiles and blades, but it doesn't do much for your standard punch to the face.
- Lightsabers: The ShadowZal offers very little lighsaber resistance.
There are times when going into a dangerous zone as an agent requires some protection, but wearing armor doesn't blend in--and its too obvious. For that, Brent designed and crafted the ShadowZal. Its really basically a fancy trenchcoat made from shell spider silk, ballistic underlay, and electronic bits.
It blends in to the surroundings, and to most casual observers it just looks like a black trench coat. A scan would reveal some of the electronic components and any weapons concealed underneath, the better the scan, the more components it would reveal.The trench coat doesn't have any plates or anything like that so its comparatively light and offers a lot of mobility. The shell spider silk and the ballistic underlay offer a lot of protection against bullets blasters and vibroblades. But there are limitations.
First, and obviously as a trench coat it doesn't cover the user's head. Second, it has no protection against lightsabers or your classic kinetic attacks. So, that's a pretty big oversight. Second, Ion and EMP damage could totally wipe away the electronic parts on this armor, and third, it offers no protection against space or air-borne assaults.
All in all, its just an armored trench coat.
Edited by Brent Smith, 13 October 2017 - 01:20 AM.