OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To provide agents of the Helix Syndicate with a reliable stealth device.
- Image Source: N/A
- Canon Link: Sound Dampening Stealth Unit, Sound Dampening Belt
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: N/A
- Manufacturer: Helix Syndicate
- Model: HS
- Affiliation: Helix Syndicate / Closed Market
- Modularity: No
- Production: Minor
- Material: Plasteel, circuits, rubber, wiring
- Adjustable settings
- Sound dampening stealth unit
- Standard utility belt features
STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES
- [Strength] The HS Sound Dampening Belt is able to reduce all sounds coming from the wearer. It features a configurable setting, ranging from 1 to 11, to alter the degree at which sounds get reduced. 1 will barely cover the sound of cracking joints, while 11 will completely mute the wearer.
- [Strength] The belt can also be used to protect the wearer from sonic weapons. This is proportionate to the setting it is kept on. 1 will offer barely any protection while 11 will sufficiently protect the wearer to all but the most powerful of sonic weapons.
- [Strength] It also features just about everything else you would want from a utility belt. Gadgets, supplies, and tools are not included, but the pouches and slots to hold them are.
- [Weakness] Power drain is a major issue with the HS Sound Dampening Belt. The higher the setting, the faster the power supply will run out.
- [Weakness] This belt has no EMP or Ion safeguards and can be easily disabled by such attacks. Repairing it after being disabled will require a skilled technician and cannot be done in the field.
- [Weakness] It’s a rather conspicuous belt, so unless you cover it up anyone who sees it will probably be able to tell you’re up to something shifty. Walking around in a sound dampening belt like that...
Personal cloaking devices are not only difficult to manufacture, but incredibly expensive, making them something of a rarity. The demand for equipment to make the Helix Syndicate’s sub rosa operations has only increased, however, and the Syndicate was forced to find a new, comparably inexpensive way to cope. And so the HS Sound Dampening Belt was born.
The HS Sound Dampening Belt is a further refinement of already well-known technology in the galaxy. Perhaps the main appeal of the HS Sound Dampening Belt is its adjustable settings. Previous renditions of the belt offered constant but only minor reduction in all sound. Through its adjustable settings, the HS Sound Dampening Belt reduces far more noise than competing brands. The drawback to that, of course, is power drain. The higher the setting on the belt, the more quickly the battery will be drained. At its lowest setting, the dampening belt will last for approximately four hours of continuous use. At its highest, it will last about forty-five minutes of continuous use.
Like other sound dampening belts, the HS model protects against sonic attacks. Again, the amount of protection received is proportionate to the setting it is kept on and subject to the same risk of completely draining the battery. Changing the battery is not an inherently difficult process, but it does take enough time that doing it in the middle of combat would be ill-advised.
HS Sound Dampening Belts that run out of power still have the benefit of retaining use as a utility belt. A bulky, conspicuous belt bound to attract suspicion from everyone who sees it, but a utility belt nonetheless.
Edited by Helix Syndicate, 12 October 2017 - 04:02 PM.