OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Image Credit: AdamKop
Intent: To create a somewhat unusual fighter to fill the hangers of the Nebulon K.
Canon Link: N/A
Restricted Missions: N/A
Primary Source: N/A
Manufacturer: Mara-Perlemian Trade Council
Model: I/H-29 'Howler' Heavy Interceptor
Affiliation: Mara-Perlemian Trade Council
Modularity: See Below
Material: Durasteel Hull, Alusteel Armor Plating, Glassteel and Transparisteel cockpit.
Classification: Fighter, Mid-sized
Length: 8.4m (body) 12.9m (with laser cannons)
Power Core Generator/Reactor: LP2b-1(V) Solar Ionization Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: N/A
Passenger Capacity: A security/boarding company of 120 soldiers is standard. An additional 80 passengers can be carried, more if crew is downsized or cargo not carried.
Consumables: Approximately 2 years
Sublight Speed: Moderate
Armament Rating: Moderate
- 2 x Assault Laser Cannons
- 1 x Ion Cannon Turret
- 1 x Concussion Missile Launcher (5 missiles)
Defense Rating: Low
Squadron Count: 12
- Standard Combat Ray Shielding
- Standard Combat Particle Shielding
- Standard Starfighter Sensor Package
- Standard Encrypted Communications Package
- Advanced TAT and BAC Combat System Package
- Ionic Shielding Package
- Ion Shields
- Cap Drains
- Duraplast Plating
- Energy Sinks
- Standard Electronics Warfare/Countermeasure Package
- Sensor Jammer
- 220-SIG Tactical Sensor Jamming Device
- Electronic Countermeasures
- Full Spectrum Distortion Projector
- Quick and Lethal: The Howler is quick and packs a punch, it sacrifices defenses and a hyperdrive to hit hard and fast.
- No Hyperdrive: While seemingly a classic snubfighter design, the Howler cannot operate without a mothership or base.
- A bit Fragile: Will not beat a true Interceptor in a turning fight, it can't match the turns and can't take the hits.
A somewhat odd design, the I/H-29 'Howler' Heavy Interceptor is a concession to the realities of space piracy in the 9th Century ABY. The classic snubfighter, best exemplified by iconic X-Wing Fighter, gives a small striking force incredible reach and the ability to pick where and when they want to fight. To match them, one must either deploy an equal number of versatile-but-unspecialized snubfighters, or find a way to beat them at their own game.The Howler is an attempt at option B. A 'Heavy' Interceptor, it is designed to outrun and outshoot most snubfighters, while sacrificing the range and freedom of movement granted by a hyperdrive. In other words, while an escort ship might not be able to catch attack snubfighters should they choose to run, the Howlers it carries can. Armed with powerful Assault Laser Cannons, a top-mounted Ion Turret, and a single concussion missile launcher (for high-maneuverability targets) the Howler punches above its weight. But that comes at a cost, it can't take those same hits any better, and it performed in tests surprisingly poorly against a more classically designed Interceptor. Quick and mean, the Howler is designed to jump in on enemy targets, deliver a few volleys of powerful shots, and withdraw while the mothership closes and wraps things up. The 'heavy' in the classification refers to the firepower, not the durability.But it can beat the snot out of your average snubfighter.
Edited by Edwin Mad-Thane, 18 November 2017 - 10:49 PM.