- SWRP Board Layout
- Our Timeline
- Creating A Character
- Starting To Role Play
- The Codex + Factory
- Credits & Disclaimer
1. SWRP BOARD LAYOUT
As a new member you might be a bit confused, trying to find answers to your many questions. This will hopefully answer a great deal of them.
SWRP is a Star Wars Role Playing forum that is, for the most part, a very open and fluid environment. Each area is divided into various boards.
Those boards are:
- Welcome, New Members! This is where you are now. It's an introductory area to say hello to everyone.
- Ask Questions & Submit Feedback Have questions or suggestions? Find a bug or have a technical issue? This is the place to go!
- Character Creation New character profiles are posted here, and where you will soon post yours as well! (See character creation for details)
- Staff Announcements Staff (Blue/Gold colored names) will post important information here. Be sure to check it often!
- Star Wars: Open Role-playing This is where public role-play threads will sit. (See Starting To Role-play for details)
- Star Wars: Private Role-playing This is where private role-play threads will be. (See Starting To Role-play for details)
- Roleplay Discussion This is reserved for already existing role-play threads for out-of-character discussion (See Starting To Role-play for details)
- Looking For Group Looking for RP? Head to this board to find fellow writers to join you!
- Feedback & Critiques If you'd like other writer's to give you feedback on your writing, or your characters, this is where to go.
- Tutorials & Guides There are dozens of individual, specific guides to just about anything you can think of in this section.
- The Water Cooler, Star Wars, Gaming Forum, + Art & Design These are all out-of-character sections for a variety of topics ranging from off-topic discussions to art and video games.
- The Codex + The Factory Lore and tech creation to add depth to your role-play. (See The Codex + Factory section for details)
You'll also see along the top of the website, opposite the SWRP CHAOS logo, a series of drop down menus as follows:
FORUMS | RULES | RESOURCES | MAP | FACTIONS
The drop down menus serve as quick links to certain key areas of the website. (Some links have been omitted from this guide for brevity.)
- FORUMS will list several key areas of the board including introduction, role-play, and discussion boards.
- RULES provides a drop down of rules, which the general, character creation, and role-play sections should be read in full.
- RESOURCES displays a drop down of the current galactic timeline as well as the member list.
- MAP will display the current state of the galaxy in relation to planets under the control of certain major factions.
- FACTIONS takes you to the portal where all major and minor factions are listed and available to join. (See Factions for details).
3. OUR TIMELINE
The current timeline of SWRP is roughly 858 ABY. The most current galactic events are below.
4. CREATING A CHARACTER
Before creating a character:
- You may use your writer account as a character, otherwise you may wish to create a sub-account. (See spoiler below for how to create sub-accounts.)
How To Create Sub-Accounts
- You must create a new sub-account for each new character past the first. Each character must have their own sub-account.
Steps to character creation:
- Copy the New Character Template in the spoiler beneath this line.
- Navigate to the Character Creation board here, and post a new topic.
- You are now free to RP! (See below for additional tips and advice)
Optional additional steps:
- Add an avatar to your account. (See steps in spoiler beneath this line for assistance.)
Adding An Avatar
- Create a signature for your account. (Or request one from one of our many talented artists here.)
- Select your rank titles from within your control panel. (See steps in spoiler beneath this line for assistance.)
Adding Rank Titles
- Post a greeting in the New Members section here! Let everyone welcome you! Don't be shy!
- Join a faction that suits your character background! The faction portal is here. Want to know what a particular faction is about? Check out the ads for them here.
- Post a request for RP, or see other member's RP requests here!
Factions play a major role on SWRP. There are two types of factions: Minor, and Major. Both types have benefits and drawbacks connected to them, and should be considered carefully when deciding on which to join. There is no limit to the number of factions you may join. A brief list of key features to factions are below.
- Major factions typically comprise the highest number of writers beneath a single umbrella at a time. For lack of better definition, these are the most current popular factions.
- Major factions are the only groups on the board that are permitted to 'own' territory on the galactic map, meaning they govern the worlds in their spheres.
- These factions tend to spread and shrink over time, due to varying factors such as invasions (PVP) and dominions (PVE)
- No faction may begin as a major faction.
- Major factions must maintain eight active writers at all times.
- Any major faction that falls behind in activity may be subject to an administrative recall, removing their major status in place of minor once again.
- Major factions may, at the discretion of their leadership, invade another major faction's territory and attempt to seize control of worlds owned by that faction.
- Dominions may be initiated by major factions to increase the influence of their control to nearby planets.
- No individual member may be a member of more than one major faction staff at a time.
- No member of SWRP staff may be the faction owner of a major faction.
- When a major faction owner resigns, a faction-wide poll must be held to elect a new owner.
- A major faction upon creation will designate a single planet as its' capital. This capital cannot be invaded by another major faction unless that faction controls a neighboring hex.
- Major factions may select one mandate from the mandates list every sixty days. Requests to change mandates should be made here.
- Any member may start a minor faction.
- Minor factions are not required to adhere to the member requirements in place for major factions, however may be removed if there is a lack of activity.
- A minor faction may submit an application for major status, provided they meet the requirements, by posting their [application] here.
- Any faction that holds allegiance to, or is under the authority of a major faction is considered a sub faction, and not a minor faction.
- Minor factions that are not considered a sub faction may initiate a rebellion against a major faction, provided it meets the requirements of a rebellion.
- Sub factions may use the resources of their major faction, but cannot initiate rebellions.
- Capitals belonging to major factions, and the hex they belong to may not be the target of rebellions.
6. STARTING TO ROLE PLAY
You may still be wondering how exactly to get started with actually role-playing now that you've read the rules and made your first character. To get you going, we recommend first visiting the Looking For Group board, and either posting a new thread outlining your ideas for your new character, or reply to an already started discussion looking for players that your character may be suited to. Alternatively, you may also wish to join a faction whose larger group and story setting may be more welcoming to you than a spontaneous thread. Check out faction advertisements here.
- PREFIXES: For a complete overview on all of the topic prefixes used on SWRP, please review this thread. We will be going over the two basic prefixes in this guide.
- Public threads are open. Any member may join, however please review the topic title, as occasionally members will request that you ask before joining in.
- Private threads are closed. Only members who are permitted to post may do so. You may request to join by privately messaging those involved however the decision falls to them.
- JOINING / CREATING FACTIONS: Once you have decided whether or not to join a faction, you may view the list of major and minor factions by visiting the Factions Portal located here.
- For a list of Major Factions, their owners, and links to Discord Chat, please see this list.
- To create your own minor faction, select the Factions tab, and then select Add Faction. This will allow you to design your own new minor faction.
7. THE CODEX & THE FACTORY
If you are the type interested in creating lore, designing planets or species, or even building your own secret bases filled with NPC units for war, the Codex is where you will find the tools for the job. If you have ideas for a neat blaster, some protective armor, or perhaps something a bit larger in the shape of a tank, a walker, or even a star destroyer then the place you'll want to go is the Factory. The teams of judges here are equipped to help you step-by-step with getting your ideas off the ground and approved as SWRP: Chaos lore.
- Codex Judges are notated by their yellow colored names
- Factory Judges are identified by their purple colored names.
Should you have questions regarding the creation of your ideas, utilizing the Codex and Factory discussion boards are a good place to start, however these judges are the best folks to reach out to should you still need assistance. They will be happy to lend a hand. Alternatively, the Codex Admin, Srina Talon is available to answer Codex questions, while the Factory Admin, Runi Verin is available for Factory related questions.
8. CREDITS & DISCLAIMER
We'd like to thank the following artists for contributing to Star Wars fans every where. These artists have given us their express permission to use their works for non-commercial use, and for that, we thank you!
JAMGA - http://jamga.deviantart.com/
Tansy Appleby - http://tansy9.deviantart.com/
S-von-P - http://s-von-p.deviantart.com/
Mystic Oracle - http://mystic-oracle.deviantart.com/
This site is not endorsed by Lucasfilm Ltd., The Walt Disney Company, or Twentieth Century Fox and is intended for use as a not-for-profit and free public forum for entertainment purposes only.
The Official Star Wars website can be found at http://www.starwars.com
Star Wars, the Star Wars logo, all names and pictures of Star Wars characters, vehicles and any other Star Wars related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of Lucasfilm Ltd., or their respective trademark and copyright holders.
All comments, opinions, viewpoints, and postings are solely the property of the individual members and not the responsibility of the site.
For those with any issues with the content on this site, please contact Tefka by private message.
Edited by Arekk, 30 August 2019 - 11:43 AM.
Updated Timeline & Codex/Factory Admin Contacts