OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To provide the Silver Jedi with a frigate-analogue defensive station
- Image Source: Concept art of Cyclone class Defense Platform image modified by your's truly
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: N/A
- Manufacturer: Lucerne Labs
- Model: Reef-class Defense Satellite
- Affiliation: Silver Jedi / Directorate
- Production: Limited
- Material: Argentum-series Matrix Armor Plating, Agrinicrete, Ferrocarbon frame laminated with condensed matter composite, standard starship components
- Classification: Automated Weapons Satellite (Frigate analogue defense station)
- Length: 400 meters
- Width: 400 meters
- Height: 75 meters
- Armament: Extreme.
- Hangar: None
- Maneuverability Rating: None
- Speed Rating: None
- Hyperdrive Class: None
- Encryption Network (with Mithril Security Software)
- Oracle-class Communications Package
- Standard Sensor Array
- Standard Targeting Systems
- Tractor Beam Projectors (x4)
- Aegis-class Anti-Concussion Field Generator
- Angon-class Hypervelocity Cannons
- Argentum-series Matrix Armor Plating
- Dual layered, heavy Aspis-class Shield Systems
- Repair Droid Complement: Hatchling maintenance droids, H-1ME droids
- Scythe-class Homing Lasers
- High Armament: Each Reef is packed with high-powered weaponry, making it a threat even to vessels much larger than itself.
- High Defenses: Reefs take advantage of their fully automated nature to make a denser structure that has fewer structural weakpoints compared to many designs. This resilient structure is then covered in thick armor plating backed by heavy Aspis Shield Systems.
- Automated: Each Reef is a fully automated, making it exceptionally cheap to maintain and operate.
- No speed: Reefs are stationary vessels, and are incapable of movement under their own power.
- No maneuverability: Likewise, Reefs do not have the ability to alter their relative orientation in relation to other objects.
- No Hyperdrive: Reefs do not have a hyperdrive, and must either be constructed in system or towed by a tug to their position.
Description: Reef-class Defense Satellites are fully automated defensive space stations typically deployed to defend static assets, such as orbital shipyards, skyhooks, and navigation points. Once placed, each Reef uses its potent long-range weaponry and thick defenses to deter and fend off attackers. While exceptionally powerful for their size, Reefs are entirely immobile and also lack large numbers of smaller guns, making them individually vulnerable to swarming attacks. Because of this, Reefs are typically used in conjunction with warships, starfighter squadrons, and minefields to provide comprehensive protection to these assets.
Crew and Automation: Reefs do not have any organic crew, with almost all functions being run by onboard computers and hardwired droids. Hatchling droids and other small droids can transverse through the station as needed through small maintenance shafts. There are no areas on the Reef designed for organic interaction. This automation makes Reefs relatively cheap to operate and ever-ready to act in case of an incursion. On the flip side, the various automated processes of the Reef are not particularly bright, and even their basic performance at simple tasks rarely equals that of an experienced organic crew.
Engine Systems: Reefs do not have any engine systems of any kind, and are reliant on outside forces to move them.
Shielding Systems: Reefs are protected by twin, heavy duty Aspis-class Shield Systems. This shielding is supplemented by an Aegis-class Anti-Concussion Field, which is fed by its own dedicated hypermatter reactor. This makes Reef-class Satellites exceptionally resilient on the battlefield.
Hull: Almost fifty percent of each Reef's mass is devoted to its internal structure and armor plating, making its hull exceptionally durable. The Reef's frame is constructed of reinforced ferrocarbon laminated with condense matter composite to help it withstand the rigors of space travel. Most of the satellite's internal structure is then constructed in a normal method, but several important areas including engineering and command sections also incorporating Agrinicrete shielding around these compartments, making these areas less affected by radiation weapons. These internals are then covered by two layers of Argentum-series Matrix Armor which are separated by another layer of condensed matter composite, which provides a high level of defense for a vessel of its size.
Weapons Systems: Reefs are primarily designed as stationary weapons platforms, and each Reef carries a equidistantly spaced arrays of Angon-class Hypervelocity Cannons and Scythe-class Homing Lasers, which allows the Reef to project significant, long-range firepower in almost every direction. These heavy guns are augmented by Tenjin-class Ion Torpedo launchers, which are typically used to batter down the shields of larger ships to make them more vulnerable to the satellite's heavy guns or to disable small ships. Lastly, the station has several Plumbata batteries scattered across its hull, which are used to defend the satellite from enemy starfighters, warheads, and boarders.
Carrying Capacity: Reefs are not designed to carry troops, vehicles, or other starships in any sort of conventional sense. They do carry dozens of small Hatchling maintenance droids and H-1ME droids within themselves however, which are mostly used to perform basic maintenance and repair the station as necessary. However, through the same external maintenance hatches that allow these droids to crawlacross the satellite's hull to perform repairs alsoallow the droids to be deployed to repair nearby small, friendly vessels. It's not uncommon to see damaged starfighters take shelter under a Reef's heavy shielding while the Reef's droid complement patches up the damaged vessels.
Edited by Gir Quee, 12 January 2018 - 04:26 PM.