• Character Bio
  • 12,005 posts

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

SETTING INFORMATION

• City Name: Vatsu

• Classification: City

• Affiliation: Jedi

• Demographics: 90% Human, 10% other

• Wealth: Medium: Not really wealthy but sustainable thanks to the resources and equipment brought in by Seimei to restore and populate the temple.

• Stability: High: Worked on by Seimei using the existing structure that was worked on by the sith. The area is more stable with teams able to come and go and whatg colonists are on the planet using it as a trade hub.

• Description: Constructed mostly around the restored and rebuilt fortress. The structure itself being made into a temple/fortress for the jedi themselves to bnear and in some places next to the Valley of the Jedi. Vatsu as a city is very sterile looking. Pre-fabricated buildings designed and set up to stack with each other. To provide a large number of housing, food storage and everything that they need. The buildings are plain and set up with the paint scheme to fit the environment (they are not stark white but not camo painted) With high walls that aren't much in terms of defense but it allows protection from the elements and a layer or so. The streets have droid cleaning crews working to kep them clear of debris and sand, scanners within the roadways to protect them from storms with containment shields but really no protection from orbital bombardment.

POINTS OF INTEREST

Vatsu: A city built on the edge of the Valley fo the jedi from pre-fabricated construction modules and roadways. It was designed witht he purpose of providing aid and protection to those on the world who generally are targeted by parties who come to the planet to take the valley for their own. With enough food and housing to feed and house them. With the proximity tot he valley to well keep them protected as stray shots could damage the prize most want. The notion and hope they don't want to destroy the valley outright is meant to offer some protection to the city and the people taking shelter within it.

Valley of the Jedi: Near the city but not a part of it.

Seimei Restoration Site: A location within the Valley of the Jedi itself connected to the citywith shuttles for resupply.

Netherworld Rift: Opened during the invasion of Ruusan by a dark jedi helping the sith. The rift tore an area near the entrance of the valley and has remained since. Sectioned off from the rest of the valley pre-fab walls and defenses were made in case anything came out of it and to double keeping things from going in. The small scale defenses are mostly token until something or someone can close the rift that was created by the sith and their allies in the battle of Ruusan between the triumvirate and silver sanctum.

Overlook: Designated by Matsu and Sorel since it was where they fought in the battle for Ruusan, maybe the closest the jedi managed to ge to to the overlook and valley entrance. The overlook area is just outside the valley but offers an amazing view of it from high above.

Path of the Sentinel: One of the main streets of the city, lined with Trade shops and forming a primary backbone. The locals of the world can come and sell their wares to offworlders or even to the jedi should it be needed. As a means of income to the world to help with rebuilding after the bombings and attacks it is great. As a means of getting stores like Corellian Digital or Sasori, Meran Mechanics and a handful of others who want to help rebuild the world or do good things with their wealth it is a great thing.

Path of the Guardian: Primarily a high end district and street. It isn't for the elite but it is one of the first areas built up so the establishments are more robust and have a lived in feel. A small square and several statues that overlook where people and families live within the city. A small community park and some entertainment establishments like a hardlight holographic simulator facility in one of the warehouses so those who might not be able to get off world can experience other worlds. THose who want to join or work with the jedi can come and meet them.

Path of the Consular: Often seen as the third key location, the food street is mostly just that. Where all fo the shops and places are that sell food across the city. In a nice row that gives a taste of nearly all cultures in the galaxy. With a few personal preferences to the jedi on the world but low cost or even no cost since they can grow their own food and don't have to import as much. At the end of it is the established Saori building of Ashla.

Ashla: One of the first fod establishments in Vatsu, less a restaurant and more of a kitchen that gave food to those who needed it. It has changed only slightly, becoming a soup kitchen mixed with a tea house. THanks to influences like Sorel, Matsu, Shoma and Kiriko. Ashla serves the people of the world offering anyone who comes into it free food and bedding for a night as well as services both social and financial to help them if they need it or work selection should they need a job.

Kiriko: A tea house, one of the first renamed for a good friend, it is larger made from one fo the warehouse modules and always opened. Offering fod, rooms and drinks for anyone who enters and a chance to mingle with some of the offworlders. Bartering for transport with services or credits it is more respectable then many of the other places in the galaxy or tries to be for them. Violence is forbidden and worked on to be kept to a minimum with weapon checks and temple guards to keep the peace.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

The construction of the city was the first part, prefabricated buildings were easy enough, using the caves that were within the valley to store people and materials secondary. The main places constructed were Ashla a social services building that could for the locals get them the supplies they needed across the planet itself. THe building would distribute food, supplies, housing and even credit aid to those who came and needed it. If they couldn't come in person then droids and jedi could be sent out to help them, from there with people coming they started setting up buildings and walls around the rift to block it.

They didn't have teh means to close it but they could at least limit things coming and going, with walls and droids, sentries and finally people observing and protecting it. The three main streets came from the temple/fortress in the center of the valley, curling around it to encompass and make it more of a defendable area. The streets are designed as a natural choke point that defenders can use to limit and be limited in their own numbers, the buildings can be replaced and rebuilt fairly quickly if used as cover. The main streets were divided into three main sections that were needed, additional food services, moral boosting and housing.

The main housing street was packed, pre-fab modules that would allow dozens to live there and could be stacked to provide additional space. While they weren't packing them in tightly it was a closer fit and as many buildings they could have was the goal for as many people without having several hundred levels like Coruscant. The modules more the most part are left unoccupied for a time, visitors to the city, those coming to trade and a few who completely live within make up everything that they have. In the event of an attack or invasion the population center can house a larger bulk of people either during or afterwards for reconstruction efforts.

The second main thing to do was to work on food, they had technology to help grow in any number of places in the galaxy. So they could have that, they could also work with some spices and being able to make rations edible. FOr different people, different styles from across the galaxy, places where no matter what they could work to feed the entire city itself. The influence of atrisian style meant that there are a number of teashops including Kiriko's the finest one on the stret. OLder then most and in renamed in honor of Matsu's friend and student who passed away to become one with the force.

The final part of the city and one of the things that was considered vital to anything but for jedi to do it was limited. Was some sort of moral boosting entertainment. Wholesome but without becoming seedy, mostly consisting of simulation houses where you could experience anything in hardlight rooms. Saori hostesses working on the planet training people and providing jobs or options to learn how to dacne, pick up skills and teach or be taught in school environment. The work the jedi have done trying to make it so people can blow off a little steam is one fo the main sources of economy on it the city for the people.

With everything in the city the need to protect things such as the walls of the city, where they could go and have wel pre-fab walls. They were strong enough for basic defense, nothing special aside from surrounding the city and giving it some entrance gates people coming to it have to go through if they dpon't plan to blow the walls. The roadways and pathways with their small scale shields for protecting from debris such as sand. The street cleaning droids and those who work in the city when the buildings themselves are mostly empty, sections being open so that they can use the modular storage racks and compartment containers to hold food, supplies and droids to rebuild across the planet.

Edited by Matsu Ike, 20 January 2018 - 10:41 AM.

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 12,005 posts

Mahet if you could be so kind. THis is ready to be looked at pretty please

Quietus

Quietus

..::>> Hunting Again <<::..

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 4,939 posts
Moved to active Codex.

xNEESwG.gif

Whisper

Whisper

Lean, Mean, Slicin' Machine

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 94 posts

Hello there! I shall be the Codex Judge examining this fine fortress, today. Please give me some time to read this over and gather my thoughts. If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to give me a ping. :)

Whisper

Whisper

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 94 posts

So, I'm having difficulties with something, here.

My first thought upon reading this submission is that clearly there's a lot of history behind it, and it's clear some thought went into this, but there's one big thing I still don't get upon re-reading it for the fifth or so time: What exactly is Vatsu?

The Historical Information section is mostly about the history of the planet, not the city itself. I'd like to see extra information trimmed down, with only tidbits relating to Vatsu itself remaining.

The map provided as in image is also rather confusing, to me. I understand it provides a layout of the Valley, but in a video game. I don't think it relays any pertinent information about Vatsu, because it does not mark exactly where it is.

The description section is also throwing me off. It describes the layout, but not what the city is. I understand it is built around the fortress, made up of pre-fab buildings, but I don't know anything about the city itself. What's it like to live there? Who lives there? I'd like to see this section made to be a bit more organic, not focused on just the layout. A city is more than just the buildings inside of it, it is also it's inhabitants.

Address these and we can move on to my other concerns, to not overload you.

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 12,005 posts

Whisper

Alright edited it to more show the city and give some ideas of how it is. Though the history is about the cities center. It is more of less the area that has been restored by the republic, then taken by the sith and then reclaimed and expanded upon into a city around it. It functions sort of like winter town from game of thrones. THe city can house a large number and does but it might not always be at the same time. Though I have hopefully added more to the town itself beyond just the layout with some ideas of the streets and buildings. Since the town is pretty new it wouldn't have a huge history, the fortress/temple in the center would have a great deal more history going into it.

Now for the image well that is mostly because there isn't much in way of images of the valley. There is the initial image of the statues and valley, there is the ones of kyle going around the temple and area but that map image shows where the fortress is located within the valley and then it is easier to go with it being around it for the city. As to what the city is, a safe haven, ruusan when it gets attacked most areas are free to be destroyed except the valley. The city can act more like a massive shelter as they want to take the valley and don't care about what is outside of it. WHich means they aren't going to risk destroying it usually. This can at least allow relief supplies to be protected to be sent out to survivors and materials to rebuild. I added that and some more to the points of interest trying to best explain what it is.

Whisper

Whisper

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 94 posts

Matsu Ike

I'd like to focus on your history section once again. This history section seems focused on the Valley of the Jedi, and not the city. In the context of this sub, I do not care about the Valley of the Jedi, I care about Vatsu. I appreciate the effort put into the history section, but it is still filled with extraneous information that doesn't have to directly do with the city. I would like to see any tidbit of information not related directly to Vatsu cut.

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 12,005 posts

Whisper

alright done, I feel weird omitting history from the sub but I trimmed it down and expanded it to better detail the city

Whisper

Whisper

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 94 posts

Alright. I don't see a reason to deny it, and it's not overpowered in any way.

Trainee Pending Approval.

Jairus Starvald, Netherworld

Jairus Starvald

Jairus Starvald

Eidoloclast

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 1,885 posts

Under review.

EIn4JJT.gif

Eidoloclast_copy.png

Jairus Starvald

Jairus Starvald

Eidoloclast

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 1,885 posts

Matsu Ike

After reading this I have an issue that Whisper already touched on.

It seems to start as submitting the city Vatsu (which is either at the center of the Valley or in near proximity, the submission mentions both possibilities), but then a lot of the details goes to the Valley of the Jedi? 

The fact that you link to the Valley in your canon field also adds to the thought that you are subbing the valley rather than the city.

What is your intent here exactly? Because that will differ my stance on it moving forward.

EIn4JJT.gif

Eidoloclast_copy.png

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 12,005 posts

Jairus Starvald

it is within the valley and uses it to create its own borders

Jairus Starvald

Jairus Starvald

Eidoloclast

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 1,885 posts

Matsu Ike

Alright, that makes things more clear.

I have pushed the idea around in my head a lot and I am uncomfortable with it. The Valley of the Jedi is a major piece of lore within the Star Wars universe, it's Nexus one of the most powerful things in the Galaxy, it deserves its own codex article. 

Subbing a settlement/city should be focused mainly on said city, points of interests should be used to deepen the locations within the city. 

I am going to have to request you to remove most of the Valley references in your submission. I am okay with the city being near the Valley or even next to it, but inside is too much for my taste.Focus this submission entirely on the city of Vatsu and tag me when you are done. If you disagree with the judgement you are entirely within your right to request a second chance, of course.

EIn4JJT.gif

Eidoloclast_copy.png

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 12,005 posts

Jairus Starvald

ehh I do disagree but I can see your point on it and can work with it. I'll start the major edits when I get home from work tonight... but one clarification. The references to the valley being near it or being able to interact are fine but the ones where it is within the valley (the rift, cave) and those locations are removed correct? Sorry it is 6 am and getting ready, don't know if that made sense.

Jairus Starvald

Jairus Starvald

Eidoloclast

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 1,885 posts

Matsu Ike

Nah, I understand what you are asking- correct. I am okay with the city being near the Valley and having references to that proximity. But anything else should be reserved for a separate Codex submission centered around the Valley itself.

EIn4JJT.gif

Eidoloclast_copy.png

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 12,005 posts

Jairus Starvald

and alright edited it. should have all references to being in the valley removed and changed to mention proximity being next to it. And added some of the pre-fab walls for being around the city.

Jairus Starvald

Jairus Starvald

Eidoloclast

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 1,885 posts

Matsu Ike

Alright, I am far more comfortable with this. Nice job and thank you for working with me here.

Pending secondary approval!

EIn4JJT.gif

Eidoloclast_copy.png

Zeradias Mant

Zeradias Mant

Not Admin

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 1,707 posts

Approved.

jp6SZYE.png