| OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION |
- Intent: To create a smart munition with various types for use in ASW craft and future submkissions
- Image Source: N/A
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: If necessary
- Primary Source: List of Japanese WWII navy bombs
| PRODUCTION INFORMATION |
- Manufacturer: Aster Spaceworks
- Model: AM-G/U-BYR/ser-1 (Armaments & Munitions, Guided/Unguided, Byr-series, Mark 1)
- Affiliation: Closed-market | Open to contracting [we reserve full rights to the rejection and acceptance of contracts]
- Modularity: No
- Production: Limited to Mass Produced
- Material: Explosives, bomb components, durasteel
| TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS |
- Classification: Precision-guided smart munitions
- Size: Ship-mounted
- Length: Depends on munition size
- Weight: The Byr-series smart munitions come in 50 kilogram to 5,000 kilogram weights
- Ammunition Type: Varies
- Ammunition Capacity: Each of the bombs have a varying ammunition capacity that depends on the carrying capacity of a starfighter, bomber, corvette, or other vehicle. This can be registered in kilograms for some vessels, but others will register it in numbers.
- Effective Range: Twice that of a normal bomb
- Rate of Fire: These are bombs; no rate of fire, especially since there are multiple launching methods
- Recoil: None
- Stopping Power: Average to very high
| VARIANTS |
- Proton-Tibanna Bomb - The proton-tibanna variant is a bomb that contains a proton explosive core surrounded by spun tibanna in a secondary container. When they combine, they are mixed with a reactant agent that causes a chain reaction that produces a more powerful explosion than proton explosives or tibanna explosives can produce alone. It possesses a long range for a bomb.
- Rocket Bomb - The rocket bomb is kind of like a torpedo, or a missile. It possesses the same guidance system, but is heavy and large. It is designed to be dropped from above a starship or a target, rather than launched directly at it. It picks up immense speed, giving it the same chance as a torpedo to hit its target, while being capable of doing more damage. It is designed primarily for anti-shipping by using a high explosive shaped-explosive design, but there is a variant that is high explosive, another that is high explosive incendiary, and another that is HEI.
- Ion-tipped Rocket Bomb - The ion-tipped rocket bomb is a minor production version of the rocket bomb that produces an ion burst before it strikes its target, making it more effective against shielding and electronics than its sister.
- Ion Rocket Bomb - The ion rocket bomb takes the ion-tipped rocket bomb a step further, but instead is exactly as you’d think it would be.
- Drop EMP/Ion - The drop EMP/ion is a munition that is dropped from a distance onto the ground, and then emits an EMP/ion pulse capable of crippling vehicles. It possesses an average range for a bomb when it detonates.
- Plasma Bomblets - Carried in a larger container, these plasma bomblets come in incendiary and high-explosive incendiary variants. They weigh between 5 kilograms to 100 kilograms each, with a special 150 kilogram version to act as an intermediary between this and the larger version. A single container has the capability to hold hundreds of them. Plasma incendiary bomblets, which are individually guided munition packages that glide to their target, are capable of being used to target ground formations, formations of fighters or bomber formations, and similar foes. Because they use plasma, they can also do light to moderate damage to armored vehicles when used in sizes larger than 10 kilograms. They are capable of functioning in space, because of their plasma munition size.
- Heavy Plasma Bomblets - Similar to the plasma incendiary bomblets, but used in sizes larger than 150 kilograms, these are capable of doing heavy damage to heavily armored vehicles or even the turrets on starships. Because they are larger, they do not contain the capacity to do as much damage.
- Ion Bomblets - Functions in a similar capacity to plasma bomblets, but with the focus being on the electronics of something. It is capable of wreaking havoc on battalions of soldiers by interfering with equipment, or doing serious harm to formations of vehicles. It is not wholly effective, and has a similarly restricted range and power because of their weight of only 5 kilograms to 100 kilograms each.
- Cluster Bomblets - Cluster bomblets are similar to the other bomblets, but use the more standard plasma-tibanna explosive for their bomblets. It is also more standard, possessing more standard sizes. Because it uses the plasma-tibanna explosive, it is more damaging than similar cluster munitions.
- Dispersal Bomb - The dispersal bomb is a precision-guided munition that disperses aerosols/gasses either in the air, or when it comes into contact with the ground. It can be loaded with any aerosol or gas due to its high-end containment system and use of high-quality materials, which insures that the dispersal bomb does not leak or become damaged by what it contains.
| SPECIAL FEATURES |
- Air Detonation Option - Byr-series smart munitions are capable of having a range set from the bomb launcher to detonate at a certain height above either the ground or a target. This allows bomblets to spread, or for gas to be dispersed over a greater amount of targets.
- Remote Kill - The munitions are capable of being killed remotely. Though one doesn’t have much time to use this, it does allow quick thinking pilots to prevent accidental launches.
| STRENGTHS |
- Precision-guided munitions w/maneuvering - Byr-series smart munitions are precision-guided munitions that use a multi-type sensor and targeting system that uses the sensors of its launch vessel and/or allies, and a multispectral guidance beam generator (essentially a composite of lasers or other beams of different types). The small maneuvering thrusters on the smart munitions allow them to align to their targets.
- Field Disruptor - A one-time field disruptor that was designed to allow the Byr-series smart munitions to pass through the launcher’s shields was implemented into the Byr design. This means that the launcher doesn’t have to lower their particle shield or a particle shield variant to launch their weapon.
- Electronic Countermeasures (Limited Only) - Electronic countermeasures against things such as guidance jammers that make certain kinds of guidance systems malfunction can be embedded within the Byr-series smart munitions. The ECMs are also designed to trick sensors, keeping people from detecting the enhanced Byr-series for a longer period of time than normal bombs.
| WEAKNESSES |
- No Propulsion (Aside from Rocket Bomb) - Though possessing a longer range than normal bombs, the lack of propulsion on these smart bombs aside from the rocket bombs makes insures that you still have to get within the ranges that would threaten the bombing vessel.
- Only Doom from Above? (Rocket Bomb) - The rocket bomb is limited in the way it can be used, as it needs both height and its rocket engine to be used properly, it is not as versatile as a torpedo.
- The Limitations of Reality - These are not magical weapons. The guidance system does not insure a strike. The limitation of real life precision-guided munitions applies to Byr-series smart munitions.
| DESCRIPTION |
Byr-series smart munitions are part of the push at Aster Spaceworks to develop knowledge in armaments for and through their engineering and R&D operations. The development of these smart munitions began as a project for the creation of a primary attack method for an upcoming Galactic Alliance strike-fighter. Not only has ASW acquired the rights to produce the new strike-fighter, giving them a boost in resources, but the Byr-series smart munitions will bolster Aster Spaceworks’ standing with the Galactic Alliance and their allies as Kemoth of Asteria pushes ASW into its new age. Byr-series smart munitions have several uses, and are a versatile set of offensive weapons with many uses. After the Galactic Alliance contract and fighter-bomber was abandoned by Aster Spaceworks due to difficulty in working with the Alliance, Aster Spaceworks decided to open purchase of the Byr-series smart munitions to everyone.
Depending on the vessel they are launched from, their field disruptor could be used to get through the first layer of shielding on vessels, though those with redundant shielding likely won’t be damaged much, as the field disruptor can only mass through multiple layers of shielding when it is first launched thanks to energy depletion over time that slows after a few moments. This could prove to be advantageous for those who want to risk themselves to hit their target.
The air detonation option allows for more versatility, as well. The multiple types of bombs in the series allow for the development of multiple mission loads, depending on what the goal is during the encounter.
Edited by Kemoth of Asteria, 13 January 2018 - 08:51 AM.