Out of Character Information
- Intent: To create a hardy communications commlink package for Resistance/counter-culture member use.
- Image Source: Nokia Corp.
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: Commlink
- Manufacturer: The Resistance®
- Model: H@nD-13R1k Portable Communications Link
- Affiliation: Open Market
- Modularity: Commlink face plate only.
- Production: Mass Production
- Material: Plastex, Polymer, Electronic & Circuit Components
- Snek©: Classic mobile game and notorious time waster.
- Speed Dial: Self-explanatory. Revolutionary. Elementary. Dope as feth~
- Voice Activation: In case of irreparable damages made to the standard interface. ([Redacted] is not representative of xenophobic or humanist ergonomic biases.)
- Vibrate Function: Simulate the sensation of a compact boulder rolling in your pant pocket, so you never miss a call!
- Water Proof: Never worry about those nasty little spills catching you off guard. ([Redacted] does not accept responsibility for soiled clothing and/or questionable stains you will have to explain to your maternal figure later.)
- Colourful: Switch out face plates for maximum personalization! ([Redacted] does not accept responsibility for physical illness upon reading said statement.)
- Nostalgia: Own a piece of technological history and cement your personal status. ([Redacted] accepts no responsibility if for labels as ‘dork’, ‘dweeb’, ‘nerd’, ‘loser’, ‘moth fanny’, ‘curb fodder’, or ‘Zambrano goon’.)
- Miraculous Hardware: Has your ‘Brick’ stopped functioning? Toss it against a wall, or upside someone else’s noggin! Watch the screen flicker back to life! ([Redacted] does not accept responsibility for any damages received during reprisal ‘ass kickings’.)
- Hardcase: H@nD-13R1k PCI’s are one of the most durable models available in the public sector, with tested polymers boasting environmental and kinetic shielding rivalling several mil-spec models. Abuse it as you may: the H@nD-13R1k will function well past most sentient life-spans.
- Longevity: It boasts a full day’s battery charge for communications! A full month on standby~ Now isn’t that a keen addition from your friends at [Redacted].?
- Lowest Bidder: It’s cheap. It’s a cheap brick of hard plastic you can throw at your significant other without consequence. Outside of a few onboard button games and music functionality, it does not load apps. It does not load H-Net. On factory settings, you’re left to play with the equivalent of a child’s toy. If you need something inexpensive in the wake of a commlink loss, the H@nD-13R1k will make the call. …Whether or not said call will connect is another matter entirely.
Originally, the H@nD-13R1k began as a test-bed model meant for app experimentation. To survive conditions on the production line floor, the prototypes were fitted to shock and environmental-proof polymers. Eventually, they saw life in [Redacted] as an impromptu communications device, in lieu of vulnerable persona devices that faced industrial sabotage and exploitation.
In one designer’s words: ‘The Hand-Brick was a joke. It was this-this plastic lump. You couldn’t call outside a given building. But because it had Snek on it, everyone on the dev team kept stealing one for bathroom breaks. We had Snek tournaments, duels, and because they were so hardy, you could chuck the things. One got her tooth busted out. They were these funny little pieces of chit that were useless. And you loved them.’
After noting its almost ironic popularity amongst staff, [Redacted] decided upon a limited open market run. An aggressive guerrilla marketing campaign reached out to counter-culture groups. The marketing caught traction, with first generation ‘Hand-Bricks’ selling out. Successive production runs have all included original pre-loaded functions, with [Redacted] promising to never change the galaxy’s most favourite ‘best worst comm’.
Edited by Cato Fett, 13 January 2018 - 02:59 PM.