Ashira Class Fast Cruiser
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To create a new ‘flagship’ class for the Eldorai Matriarchy as part of the Order of Fire minor faction. This ship will make use of the Eldorai’s racial characteristics to create a fast and dangerous ship which is also very fragile if caught in battle.
- Image Source: Here. By John Wu on Concept Art World
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: Refit and update of this ship which will be archived.
- Manufacturer: Firemane Industries and Technology
- Model: Ashira Class
- Affiliation: Faction Name(s) (Order of Fire with permission from this writer or Siobhan Kerrigan only)
- Production: Semi-Unique
- Material: Lightweight alusteel plating, standard components.
- Classification: Fast Cruiser
- Length: 990m
- Width: 250m
- Height: 180m
- Armament: Very High All weapons have 360 degree firing arc
- Many long range turbolasers and ion cannons.
- Many heavy turbolasers and ion cannons.
- Some energy torpedo projectors.
- Massed quad lasers and point defence lasers.
- Defenses: Low,
- Standard shielding.
- Lightweight armor plating.
- Hangar: 0 squadrons.
- Maneuverability Rating: High
- Speed Rating: High,
- Hyperdrive Class: 1
- Standard ship components.
- Crew living areas.
- Onboard garrison force (600 soldiers).
- Reinforced prow bridge.
- Improved cargo holds containing 5 years supplies.
- Advanced defence gun targeting to direct webs of fire against enemy attack craft.
- 360 degree targeting for main guns.
- Can set full speed to engines, increasing speed to Extreme but lowering manoeuvre and armament to Low until disengaged.
- Targeting matrix for improved accuracy at long range.
- Parthia. Very unusually, the Ashira class can fire its main and defence guns in all directions. This means it can fire behind just as well as it can in front or broadside.
- Speedy. For a cruiser the Ashira is very fast and agile. With the added engine boost it is the fastest a cruiser can be, allowing it to escape almost any situation.
- Defences. The Ashira can unleash a web of fire to cut down enemy fighters and bombers.
- Skirmish. By keeping its distance and firing at long range, the Ashira can frustrate an enemy and keep out of range and firing arc.
- Fragile. The Ashira has only standard shielding and its armour plating is lightweight to make it quicker and more agile. Consequently, if caught in combat it will likely suffer heavily.
- Hanger. The Ashira has no hanger, and so must be escorted by fighters and have other ships to back it up.
- Surrounded. Though they can fire in all directions there are only a certain number of guns. If an enemy comes from multiple sides or in large numbers it will find it hard to escape.
- Large. No matter how agile the ship is, it’s still nearly 1km long. An enemy with many long range guns can still hit and punch through the Ashira’s armour.
Designed in the days of Omega Pyre and Protectorate, the old Ashira’s Wrath was the first heavy gunned cruiser designed for the Eldorai. As such it was impressive for the time but is now severely outdated; reduced to being a naval training base above Tygara.
The Ashira was designed not to be a one off like the Ashira’s Wrath, but to be a small line of ships which would serve the Eldorai as their primary warships.
And so, the Eldorai ordered a new design from Firemane. As befitting the Eldorai and their philosophy, the ship is well armed, very fast and agile, but also quite delicate. The key addition is 360 degree bearing turrets and engines which provide far less ‘wash’, allowing the ship to fire in any direction.
Tactically, the Ashira moves to engage at long range, bombarding the enemy. When the enemy moves to retaliate, the Ashira can speed out of range or arc, keeping away from retaliation. This obviously works best when other ships are distracting the enemy, but also works well when the Ashira is trying to escape.
Finally, a speed boost allows full power to engines, allowing the Ashira to outpace even some frigates as it speeds away from harm.
Edited by Valiens Nantaris, 18 January 2018 - 03:46 PM.