OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To create a command base, headquarters, and home for Clan Australis.
- Image Credit: Link
- Canon: N/A
- Links: Kaine Australis, Clan Australis, MandalArms
- SETTING INFORMATION
- Military Base Name: Cerar Kandosii
- Classification: Military Base, Colony
- Location: Myrkr
- Affiliation: Kaine Australis Clan Australis
- Population: Approximately one million. 75% of the population are civilians, predominately Mandalorians in non-combat roles. Mix of species, though humans from Mandalore predominate. The entirety of Clan Australis's ground and naval forces are based in the Myrkr system, and save a few outposts or patrols into the jungle and Hyllyard, almost all Clan personnel live and work within the fortress.
- Accessibility: Cerar Kandosii is built directly into a mountain range. Its cavernous interior allows for near unlimited expansion underground, afforded the extra protection from external attack that the mountain provides. Air access to the facility is limited to spacecraft with a diameter of no more than 500m. Ground access is via a main entrance, originally a cave, near the foot of the mountain which was widened by Clan engineers to a width of 250m and a height of 40m and then heavily fortified and concealed from the air.
The facilities and base are open to Clan Australis, and friendly Mandalorians of any persuasion or affiliation. Security is tight, so only those without hostile intentions will be permitted entry to the complex.
Some areas are open to the public, though military facilities are off limits.
- Description: From the outside, Cerar Kandosii appears just another mountain in a range of them. From directly above one might observe the concealed docking ports, though only while they are in use. The two W-165 turbolasers cannot be concealed.
From the ground, the main entrance is concealed by the mountains, and the approach is through a narrow ravine. Not until within 500m can the entrance be observed on foot, well within the defense perimiter. An aircraft or drone flying down the right mountain pass between the peaks would be able to see the entrance, however to be in such a position they would overfly half the air defense network, to say nothing of a jungle full of heavily armed Mandalorians, and be a sitting duck.
The jungle of Myrkr climbs the foot of the mountain around and above the entrance. Selected fields of fire have been artfully arranged with strategically placed sensors to provide a full view for the ground defenses, not afforded to any hostile force approaching the base on the ground. The jungle has not been burned away, just pruned carefully in places to allow the defenses to be effective.
The jungle for several kilometers around the base is used as a training facility for Clan Australis, and there is a constant presence of both recruits and experienced commandos in the wilds. Approaching the facility unseen and unmolested is a difficult task, as it is intended to be.
Clan Galactic HQ - Command and Control and Communications Hub for the entire Clan.
Australis training and dormitory facilities.
Armories and machine shops.
Research and development and testing facilities (Limited)
Guest quarters and executive quarters.
Cavernous Hangar, landing facilities for ships up to 500m (Limited by access port size)
Two dozen FlakBlaster emplacements (camoflaged) serve as a limited anti-aircraft defense.
Two W-165 Planetary Turbolasers sit above the base, and if necessary can be trained on the jungle below, or upward to space.
Pillboxes and minefields surround the approaches to the main entrance blast doors. Half of these are outside the inner shield perimiter.
Ray and particle shields protect the main entrance, secondary inner particle shields off a separate generator protect the blast doors and inner defence positions.
On creating the Clan, Kaine Australis knew that his Clan would need a base, and began planning in this direction. As the Clan grew, and gained resources, work began on the secret project that would produce Cerar Kandosii, the new home of Clan Australis. The plans were ambitious, but the initial phase was achievable, and simple. Find a mountain and start digging. Engineering works continued clearing the interior of the mountain, and installing the blast door and docking ports. Then work began on basic habitation, barracks, and storage facilities. Within a month, the base was beginning to be functional, and workers began to arrive. Facilities began to spring up while the existing ones were expanded and improved. Gradually, the vision of General Kaine began to take shape, as the first defenses were installed, and the massive geothermal power system was brought online. Cerar Kandosii still smells like new, but already it has become home to a new generation of Mandalorians.
Edited by Kaine Australis, 19 February 2018 - 07:34 AM.