Blackwing Electro-sword with Plasma Blade Ignited
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: Creating an advanced Electro-Plasma melee weapon for the First Order's Death Troopers that will permit them to engage lightsaber-wielding force sensitives on a more or less even playing field in terms of armament.
- Image Source: Source
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: Bilari electro-chain whip, Electro-bisento, Force Pike, Lightsaber, Vibroblade, Vibro-arbir blade, Vibro-voulge
- Manufacturer: First Order Corps Of Imperial Engineers
- Model: Type-1 Blackwing Electro-Sword
- Cost: 12,500 Credits (Not Available on Civil Market)
- Value: 40,000 Credits (Black Market Value)
- Affiliation: Dergan Twigg, Kyli DT-6767, Luther Ando, Rexus Wenck, Project: AFTERLIFE
- Modularity: Yes (Pommel Design, Hilt Design)
- Production: Semi-Unique (Dergan Twigg, Kyli DT-6767, Luther Ando, Rexus Wenck)
- Material: Turadium.
- Classification: Electro-Plasma Sword
- Size: One-Handed, Two-Handed (Small)
- Length: 70cm (Blade), 95cm (Overall)
- Weight: 1.1 Kilograms (Light)
- Double-Edged Blade
- Hydrogen Plasma Battery
- Magnatomically-Paired High Adhesion Grips
- Magnetically-Contained Plasma Field
The Blackwing Electro-Plasma Sword is a First Order developed and manufactured advanced plasma melee weapon for exclusive use by graduates of Project: AFTERLIFE, the project responsible for creating the First Order's awe-inspiring Death Troopers. The design of Blackwing Plasma Swords ironically dates back to a Jedi Artifact known colloquially as the "Darksaber" though unlike most lightsabers the Blackwing doesn't receive its' power from some focused kyber crystal but rather an extremely powerful Hydrogen battery which stores the plasma that is contained by magnets around the Turadium blade's edge giving the plasma a coherent shape and burns a deep crimson hinting towards its' scorching temperature of two-thousand five-hundred degrees celsuis and giving rise to the erroneous belief amongst the superstitious that its' wielders are some description of Force sensitive Dark Jedi. The weapon is constructed exclusively from hardy materials which have proven highly resistant to Lightsaber strikes; with the First Order's engineers under no illusion that the Blackwing's wielders may find themselves too close for comfort with the likes of Jedi or other Force Wielders. It's also optimised for use in close-quarters fighting and so the blade's overall length was kept as compact as possible to facilitate its' effective use even within arms-reach of most humanoid species, a feat that many longer blades struggle to achieve. The hilt has pressure technology and the plasma blade will only ignite when the user exerts a pre-determined amount of grip strength upon it; permitting the user to draw the weapon without igniting the plasma blade and is switched off by the depression of two buttons on the pommel for an uninterrupted five seconds.
The Blackwing Plasma Sword is a terrifying melee weapon and while it's not exactly a lightsaber and cannot cut through thick bulkhead doors or tank armour it's an extremely effective weapon against infantry. It's hydrogen plasma edge burns at approximately 2,500 degrees celsius and is extremely volatile capable of cleaving through even armour of rare quality and materials, injuries inflicted to the target can often be lethal in the extreme; cauterising the wound and rupturing surrounding bodily tissues and organs through flash vaporisation caused by the extreme temperatures emitted by the crimson blade. Veins and Arteries or other fluid-containing organs can expand and 'explode' within the target with the potential for side effects such as septicaemia and internal bleeding as a result, similar to lightsabers there is usually minimal chance of survival for the victims unless they can receive intense medical care immediately. In contrast to Lightsabers however, it is possible for the blade's magnetic field to get 'snagged' on metal-type armour making it difficult to extract the blade and opening the wielder up for counter-attacks in some cases so the user manual encourages thrusts to the Thoracic region, or slashes that will either decapitate or dismember the target to reduce this risk. When coming into direct contact with another magnetic field of significant strength such as those created by lightsabers the Blackwing's own magnetic field has a habit of ejecting small amounts of plasma creating a visible 'spark' effect, these 'embers' of plasma caused by the magnetic field's disruption have the potential to cause burns to exposed skin and even ignite the surrounding area if there is flammable material presence.
- Compact: Due to the control the user has over the plasma blade ignition when inactive the weapon is quite compact, small and could be easily concealed when necessary similar to a Lightsaber in this regard. This permits its' storage in the FO-XD's over-the-shoulder Vibroblade sheath from which it could be drawn with surprising speed thanks to its modest size pre-ignition. Its' size also makes it an ideal close-quarters weapon permitting its user to strike even when within arms' distance to a target.
- Cutting Power: With its' plasma blade ignited at 2,500 degrees celsius the Blackwing Plasma Sword can cut through even the sturdiest Infantry Armours with frightening ease. One quirk due to the powerful magnetic field containing the plasma is that sometimes the blade can get 'stuck' inside an opponent wearing metal-derived armours. Potentially allowing the target to strike back at the wielder. That said, even non-fatal strikes tend to send the targets into shock with the flash-vaporisation of circulatory systems and organs close to the blade.
- Lightsaber Resistant: Without its' plasma blade ignited thanks to its Turadium construction the weapons can survive contact with lightsabers and other Electro-plasma weapons. Offering up a rude surprise to any haughty force sensitives who think to catch the wielder unawares. This makes it extremely useful for engaging in melee combat with force sensitives.
- Melt them down: Due to the extreme temperature emitted by Blackwing's plasma blade other melee weapons constructed from common and even tough materials such as Durasteel and Titanium that come into contact with it can be sliced straight through completely; in this sense it's similar to a Lightsaber. The only materials capable of giving its' blade pause are those its' constructed from or materials generally immune to lightsaber strikes such as Mandalorian Iron and Phrik.
- Distinct Appearance: Due to the weapon's nature when activated it is difficult to miss and easy to identify for observers as a threat especially in low-light situations where the plasma blade burns with a fantastic crimson passion through the darkness. The weapon in an ignited state is additionally incredibly obvious on thermal imagine equipment.
- Edge Ignition: If pressed against a target and then ignited; the magnetic field cannot properly form and so the superheated plasma flails around wildly and retrogrades down into the battery and can cause a devastating explosion severely injuring parties in close-proximity to the weapon.
- Particle-Beam Weapons: Particle-Beam type weapons by nature of their operations alongside masers and charrics have the potential to damage the weapon or wielder given the plasma blade wouldn't deflect them as it does with blasters on the off-chance it is hit, another less likely possibility due to its advanced grips is that it might be knocked out of the wielder's hands.
- Prominent Thermal Signature: The weapons when ignited emit a massive thermal signature and can be easily distinguished with IR/NIR imaging equipment when in this state, alerting potential hostiles to the presence of a formidable enemy.
- Power Source Scanners: Hydrogen plasma batteries used within the Blackwing weapons can be detected using Power Scanners, where they appear as quite significant power contacts. Having the potential to raise suspicion or investigation by so-equipped troops with the potential to endanger the operations Death Troopers will be expected to perform.
- Metallic Edges: The Metallic edges of the weapon have greatly reduced cutting power despite their Turadium construction and have extreme difficulty at cutting through anything stronger than Plastoid-based armour, even Durasteel proves stubborn for these edges. Reducing the weapon's efficiency massively when the Plasma Blade is inactive.
Edited by Kyli DT-6767, 15 February 2018 - 06:38 PM.