ALTAR OF SPIRITS
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To flesh out location of rebirth for the Mandragora cult in modern times and give it clear definition, in this case a place where the spirits are honored.
- Image Credit: Conceptual Art, Stone Circle, Flames (modified and joined by myself in Photoshop)
- Canon: N/A
- Links: Mandragora
- Landmark Name: Altar of Spirits
- Classification: Mountain
- Location: Nightlands on Ryloth
- Affiliation: Confederacy of Independent Systems (Mandragora)
- Size: Small
- Population: No Inhabitants.
- Demographics: N/A
- Accessibility:The Altar is not hidden per say nor is it accessible by certain individuals, however it’s uncharted on any of the maps of Ryloth. Unsuspecting hikers could stumble on it same as it could be visible from the sky.
- Description: Deep in the Nightlands of Ryloth, on a higher point, old slaves of Ryloth upon their discovery of Mandragora and its spirits build this landmark as a way to honor the three beings (Doashim, Lylek and Jart). It’s small, for the most part constructed of stone. Stairs lead up to the main level of it where the large altar stands while around it once stood different stones providing the look of walls though most of them have now been damaged and broken. The only three stones that remain strong, a small fire burning at their feet while on top three charred circles stand to represent ancient meaning of the religion.
POINTS OF INTEREST
- The altar: In the center of this sacred place stands the large piece of stone with traces of durasteel embedded into it, allowing it to stand longer than other parts of this place.
- Three stones side by side: Last standing objects in the once spectacular place, the three stones represent the three spirits of Mandragora, each of them holding a charred circle in it with small fire that perpetually burns beneath their feet. Despite the open space around it, the fire only ever burns around the stones as if confined to this singular spot
It’s unclear when the Mandragora cult began, founded by slaves of Ryloth deep beneath the grounds. Some claim it came to them from the distant plant of Dathomir though this is only speculation in present times because the founders of the religion have been lost in time same as the authors of their most sacred book. It is said that the altar was built by the practitioners of Mandragora in their quest to honor the spirit that have given them the power to fight their captors. Though small in size, in the time of its completion it was magnificent site to behind for those of strong faith with the altar in the center of the landmark with towering stones around it though it was always left open for those who came to honor their spirits to do so beneath the dark skies of the Nightlands. To its side, the three stones representing the three spirits were built with the small fires surrounding them. The Mandragora always know each of the three stones represents their spirits though outsiders may not recognize it. The flames beneath them cause slight charring to the stones but they were confined to the stones, something the Mandragora contributes to the doing of the spirits, its eternal burning signifying that Ryloth is forever under the protection of the three.
The altar was built long before the time of darkness though it remained uncharted on any map of Ryloth though it could be easily spot from air and unsuspecting hikers can end up here. Because the Mandragora grew silent, its numbers decreasing in time before it was left forgotten within Ryloth until the Confederacy arrived and its Force Users welcome to the spirits back to the fold, this place remained undisturbed for centuries, unaffected by the harsh changes of the galaxy, having fallen to its own darkness. It was only time that affected it, with the majority of its stones falling to its side, making it seem more like ruins than the altar it had been during its times of glory.
Edited by Katrine Van-Derveld, 12 February 2018 - 05:43 AM.