S3A Rifle in Blackwatch colors
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To create a standard-issue blaster rifle for Ancient Eye and Shrouded Republic special forces
- Image Source: Fdfx2 @Deviantart
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: N/A
- Manufacturer: Eternal Imperial State Armory, Karavin Concern
- Affiliation: Eternal Empire, Confederacy of Independent Systems; Closed-Market
- Model: S3A Blaster Rifle
- Modularity: No
- Production: Minor
- Material: Plasteel, Durasteel
- Classification: Blaster
- Size: Average: 790mm
- Weight: Average
- Ammunition Type: Standard Power Cell consisting of a battery and Tibana gas canister in a single package
- Ammunition Capacity: 30 Shots
- Reload Speed: High
- Effective Range: Personal
- Rate of Fire: Low
- Stopping Power: High
- Recoil: High
- Composite Power Cells: The S3A uses a composite power cell design, storing the tibana gas and battery in the same container, enabling faster reloading
- Fast Reload: The S3A's design enables its user to quickly swap out spent power cells for new ones
- Powerful: The S3A blaster rifle has a high stopping power for its size, inflicting much more damage upon its targets
- Monolithic: The S3A's design is monolithic and does not allow for modification without extensive redesign of the weapon
- Low Rate of Fire: A drawback of its stopping power is the reduction in the weapon's firing rate, as the rifle needs more time to cycle between shots
- Low Accuract at Longer Ranges: The S3A is designed for close quarters battle and does not perform well at extended ranges due to its high recoil
Designed for use by special forces and secret police units, the S3A blaster rifle is not intended to be a main battlefield weapon, but rather an effective tool in the hands of small units, during close quarters battle. Its impressive stopping power is highly useful especially against unarmored targets such as insurgents, which makes it a favored weapons for units such as the Blackwatch death squads, the Shrouded Republic's dreaded secret police.
The S3A's stopping power comes with several important drawbacks which are not very noticeable at short ranges, but which severely limit the weapon's usefulness in situations it was not designed for. The rifle's high recoil makes it somwewhat unwieldy and inaccurate at longer ranges, which, combining with its slow cycle rate, makes it unsuitable for use in large-scale, pitched battles.
The S3A blaster rifle features a composite power cell design which adds to its compactness and enables faster reload times. Both the tibana gas cannister and battery are enclosed within a single cylindrical container held within the weapon's stock, which can be easily swapped out for a fresh one.
Edited by Lily Kuhn, 05 July 2018 - 11:53 PM.