• Ammunition Type: Gravity Bomb
  • Ammunition Capacity: 20
  • Reload Speed: Very Low
  • Effective Range: Average
  • Rate of Fire: Very Low
  • Stopping Power: Extreme
  • Recoil: Extreme

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Fires large gravity bombs at excessive velocity that can cause incredible amounts of damage.

Strengths:

• Gravitic and energy damage from weapon detonation can rip away shields and tear apart hull armor, similar to a Yuuzhan Vong dovin basal's singularity.
  • Phenomenal gravitic, energy and kinetic damage potential against most forms of defence.
  • Excellent range for such a heavy damage weapon

Weaknesses:

• Major risk of damage to firing ship on premature detonation.
  • Limited to one gravitic cannon per ship/station, except for one unique battlecruiser designed around multiple cannons
  • Hull area clearance required for this weapon lowers the amount of defenses that can be placed in an area around the weapon mounting.
  • Weapon requires significant charge time to fire at full power.
  • Weapon is limited to bow or spinal mount due to recoil and firing stress.
  • Cannot be scaled down for use on smaller vessels or as a planetary weapon.
  • This is an area of effect weapon that cannot alter its effects on ships near the projectile's targets. That means that if there is a friendly or neutral vessel nearby, there's a good chance that this will also affect them.
  • Projectiles are large enough to potentially be intercepted midflight in the right circumstances with the right equipment.
  • Vessel must return to port to reload gravity bombs.

DESCRIPTION

The Gravitic Cannon works on the same principles as the Hypervelocity Mass Driver and Gravity Bomb. A containment and stabilization casing surrounds the hypergraviticenergy inside the bomb. On impact or detonation, this casing is crushed by the intense gravitational field generated.

Engineers increased the power that went into the standard gravity bomb, making casing larger and the warhead much more powerful, though it was found that it took exponential power demands to increase the amount of the gravitic energy that could be built up. This research involved experiments with both Yevethan gravity bombs and Yuuzhan Vong dovin basal bioforms, into the manipulation of gravitic fields and projection of singularity-like effects over a limited area.
Range was also another difficulty that was solved by launching the projectile via electromagnetic acceleration, allowing a small sphere to pick up speed in the weapon and increased the velocity of the gravity bomb projectile to railgun speeds. 

The weapon's net effect is a gravitic distortion caused by an artificially inflated gravity mass rotating at incredible speed. The effect is similar to passing the event horizon of a singularity. Range of damage is limited as the gravitic energy dissipates. This also removes the weapon's potential as an interdiction device as its area of effect is reasonably localised to less than a few hundred meters. Gravfield generators built into the weapon's mount protect the firing vessel from the gravitic damage of accelerating such a large projectile to hypervelocity speeds.

At impact the standard projectile can release enough gravity to rip apart a starship's hull armor in a large area several orders of magnitude larger than the area of the sphere itself. In addition a near miss also has the power to pull or deform hull armor/shields, and an actual hit would also release an amount of energy from the sphere as there is an actual collision, dealing large amounts of thermal as well as kinetic damage to the target. T
he explosions should create damage on an order of magnitude scale, the closer to the sphere the more exponential gravity's power. Effects on ships can begin at 2000 meters and can increase in order of magnitude as the distance closes.

Actual damage (ie tearing pieces off the hulls due to gravity) can begin occurring when the distance is decreased to 500 meters for ships that are poorly put together, and inside 100 meters the gravity can be intense enough to begin warping hull armor slightly, at 50 meters, hull armor could begin breaking up due to the gravitational stresses, and the effects simply get worse from there on in as you get closer to the epicentre.

Kinetic damage can occur when the pieces of hull or other solid objects are tossed about in the orbit of the sphere's gravitational field, such as starfighters, pieces of debris, missiles, and pieces of ship hull that has been torn free and sent all the way around the sphere to impact against another portion of the hull.

Each weapon has its own reactor buried under the hull.

The weapon itself is 50m at the base, and requires 200 meters of clear hullspace in each direction to be fired safely at maximum power.

Due to the massive hull stress and subsequent required structural integrity reinforcement, this weapon will generally need to have a vessel purpose built to withstand the gravitational stresses of both firing the weapon, and the passage of the projectile as it leaves the weapon. Also considering the massive power requirements, such a custom designed vessel would need to be purpose built with the gravitic cannon in mind.

The range is that of a standard turbolaser, but the projectile can reach up to 7km/sec at maximum power.

Old Sub

Edited by Zef Halo, 08 May 2018 - 10:34 AM.
Mod request 8.5.2018

8GgZsVc.gifAKMqA8R.gif128RWQJ.gif

'It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill.'

KaineSig.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,633 posts

Under Review.

KULV1Mo.pngARav83L.png

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,633 posts

I'm going to quote part of the Hypersace pulsemass generator's entry in the Imperial Sourcebook (page 67) to start this out:

The generator produces tiny spheres of hyperenergy that are shot out into an area of space. When ships traveling through hyperspace cross the equivalent area of realspace, they come in contact with the hyperenergy spheres. These overwhelm the blocking capacity of the ship's shields and shred the craft. These hyperenergy spheres do not affect ships in realspace, but if a ship enters a field of spheres, and then jumps to lightspeed it comes in contact with the deadly pulses.

The key point in here is that hyperenergy spheres do not affect ships in realspace.

This doesn't mean that it's not possible to create some sort of gravitational based weaponry, however. I'd personally suggest looking at tensor weapons or gravity bombs. It wouldn't be too hard to get at least some of the effects that you described here with a development from one of those items. But I would also not be surprised if you could find a little known piece of gravitational technology that hasn't been canonically weaponized yet to get another effect.

KULV1Mo.pngARav83L.png

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

Gir Quee There are a couple other technologies, such as this, as well as the ones you mentioned. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thankyou for your help with this project.

'It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill.'

KaineSig.gif

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

Gir QueeAlright, edits made. Let me know what you think.

KaineSig.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,633 posts

Kaine Australis, just wanted to let you know that I got your tag. 

This is an ambitious and potentially ground-breaking weapon. There is definitely some precedence for a weapon like this in some degrees, but we're also entering some unknown area.

Because of that, I will need to take some time and do some serious thinking about this on a conceptual level. I will also be consulting some other factory staff members on this as well. It may be a little bit of time before I can get back to you with a solid answer,but you're always welcome to reach out to me to see where this is going if you have any questions or you want to know the progress on this.

KULV1Mo.pngARav83L.png

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

No worries. This is an ambitious idea, so i am more than happy to take the time to do it properly.

KaineSig.gif

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

Gir Quee Just to let you know i've made further changes. I don't feel the weapon suits a turret, rather some sort of spinal mount or better, purpose built vessel to withstand such massive stresses on the firing vessel. I've also swapped the image to reflect that this weapon isn't something that's going to be dotted all over a hull in turret form. :)

KaineSig.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,633 posts

Kaine Australis, thank for you the heads up. A spinal nature will make this easier to approve.

Whenever I look at a submission, I have to take in at least two things in consideration:

1) How it fits with Star Wars lore

2) Gameplay balance

So let me give a broad overview of what I see with this submission in these areas

Lore

Hyperenergy is not well defined in Lore, nor is there a good real-life equivalent to easily compare it to. The hyperspace pulsemass generator specifically is noted to not have any effects in realspace. In opposition to that, the new canon does state that gravity well projectors can have an effect in real space. But we do not know the relationship between gravity well projectors and the hyperspace pulsemass generators mechanisms. Pulsemass generators project hyperenergy spheres, while gravity well projectors produce mass shadows. It's difficult to tell how well these intertwined.

Dovin Basals are probably the closest thing in canon effects to this sub. But like most Vong technology, they are rife with gameplay issues. More on that in a moment.

So overall, we are left more with conjecture about these commonalities than any actual information, which makes the lore basis of this sub shaky.

I could get maybe get behind a tenuous relationship between these technologies if the benefits of this were significantly more modest. But this starts into the next concern: Balance.

Gameplay Balance

I'm going to start off by saying that gravity weapons are difficult to get the balance right. Part of this is because a phenomenon that we can easily see for ourselves. And another part is because it's something that most Star Wars technology isn't inherently designed to resist, which means that there is little defense against it. So let's look at weapon properties right now.

1) Long-Range ("Battlefield")

2) Exceptionally Powerful

3) Slow rate of fire

4) Spinal mounted

These basic properties of the weapon balance itself well in my opinion. But the issue with this sub is the "gravity ammo" benefits itself.

1) Hyperspace Interdictor properties

2) Highly effective against "all forms of defense"

3) Normal near-misses are converted to "hits"

From a pure gameplay perspective, I could get maybe get behind having one of these additional properties, given the low production of these weapons.

So let's talk about how we can get one of those effects.

Overall, I think we need to get away from the pulsemass generators/hyperenergy spheres unless this is solely going to be an interdictor weapon with no realspace effects (Effect #1). 

Another option to think about are turning this into a projectile cannon that fires really large gravity bombs (Effect #2)

To get effect number three, this could fire out something like a souped up gravfield generator (Effect #3)

You're welcome, of course, to come up with other options as well.

KULV1Mo.pngARav83L.png

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

Gir Quee Ok, i've removed references to any sort of interdiction effect, and added in the properties of the Gravfield generator. 
Basically now the projectile is a contained energy sphere that is hyperenergized but not to the point of actual hyperenergy, and charged with gravitic and magnetic energy, held together for a brief period by incredibly fast rotation. The magnetic rotating spheres have a very short lifespan, hence the velocity of the projectile.

Whew. I think we're close-ish. Let me know.

KaineSig.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,633 posts

Kaine Australis, I could have been a little bit more clear in my last post for effect #3. I meant literally firing out gravfield generators as the projectiles themselves. Part of this is simple lore (going back to the hyperenergy & lack of technology for containing weightless gravitational fields), and part of it is balance. By using projectiles, there are small number of countermeasures that can be deployed to partially counter this.

Effects on ships, not counting the affects on navigational hyperdrive computers begins at 2000 meters and increases in order of magnitude as the distance closes,

If you could remove the reference to navigational computers here (that's going into the interdictor territory).

KULV1Mo.pngARav83L.png

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

Gir Quee I've removed the offending sentence regarding navigational effects.

I am trying to avoid having a physical projectile for exactly that reason, i wanted an energy-based projectile. :) Some sort of magnetic disruption or physical interdiction of the shot would still be a countermeasure as the weapon stands now, I think.

KaineSig.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,633 posts

Kaine Australis, can you show me a canon example of where we have spheres of gravitational energy like this?

Alternatively, another avenue that we can explore is to make it something like a mechanical replica of a dovin basal. We could get a mixture of the interdictor and gravity effects, but it wouldn't likely be a long-rang weapon.

KULV1Mo.pngARav83L.png

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

Like this, not exactly, the closest i think would be the gravity shadow of the hyperspace pulse-mass mine. Thats gravitational energy in what I assume is a spherical effect (theyre never mentioned to be directional, so one would assume their area of effect is a sphere).
A dovin basal effect is similar to what i'm trying to describe. Magnetically and rotationally containing the energy in a short-lasting packet is about as far as I got with the physics theory. Really just replacing the bomb casing of a gravity bomb with an energy packet that deteriorates over time. Similar in effect to the theory of containing a particle of antimatter within a rotating magnetic field to avoid it contacting regular matter.

All the parts of the concept are from canon, just cherrypicked. Further edits made to reflect the similarities between this weapon's projectile and that of a gravity bomb, and to remove all references to interdiction.

Gir Quee

Edited by Kaine Australis, 20 February 2018 - 08:59 AM.

KaineSig.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,633 posts

Kaine Australis, sorry for the late reply; I didn't get the tag. If you ever don't hear from me within 24 hours, feel free to shoot me a PM reminding me about your submission.

For most of Star Wars canon, Mass Shadows ("hyperspace signatures") produced by interdiction technology are notably distinct from gravitational forces that effect things in sub or realspace. The only instance that I know of where this not being the case has been in Star Wars Rebels, where a sabotaged Interdictor cruiser pulled several surrounding ships into it. This wasn't really wasn't a mass shadow projected at a distance as a deliberate weapon, and I have not been able to uncover any real good technical data about the specifics of that case. It's an immediate effect based within close proximity to the device in question, which does fit with other subspace gravitational weapons that we do know about.

Magnetically and rotationally containing the energy in a short-lasting packet is about as far as I got with the physics theory. Really just replacing the bomb casing of a gravity bomb with an energy packet that deteriorates over time.

There are two types of gravity bombs to consider. Wookiee did a lot of reditting about a year back, so I'm going to actually pull more detailed descriptions for both of them from the unofficial Star Wars encyclopedia (you can find it on theforce.net and several other places) to get a bit more detail:

Gravity BombThis was the term used by the New Republic naval forces that participated in the Battle of Mindor to describe the ballistic projectiles that were sent into space by Lord Shadowspawn's minions. These weapons were fired into space by a ground-based gun, and flew at their targets with incredible speed. The fact that gravity bombs were not equipped with their own drive systems made them all but impossible to detect with most sensor systems. Each gravity bomb was a point-source gravity generator, which created sudden shifts in local gravity as they flew past or impacted with an object. It was later learned that gravity bombs took advantage of the strange properties of meltmassif stone to create their localized gravity fields. (LSSM) 

Gravity BombThis Yevethan weapon disrupted the localized gravity field surrounding a starship, causing intense pressure changes due to shifting starship plating and decking. (CTD) 

Wookieepedia references an explosion, which I previously recall being specific only to the Yevethan variant. In either case though, both bombs are based on physical components that require physical proximity to their target in order to work. Dovin basals likewise have to be (relatively) close to their target to work.  

All the parts of the concept are from canon, just cherrypicked.

It's okay to fill in some gray or unknown areas with what we think would work in area where the submission, but balance has to be key, perhaps even more so than lore (though both are guiding factors). But I do not think that the balance or lore is strong enough to support such an ambitious and powerful weapon in concept.

This is a hard "no" to the idea of using massless, hyperenergy spheres to create gravitational effects in realspace at long ranges.

Edited by Gir Quee, 22 February 2018 - 12:21 AM.

KULV1Mo.pngARav83L.png

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

Ok. Physical projectile it is. Redesign incoming.

KaineSig.gif

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

Gir Quee

Ok, complete redesign into a hypervelocity accelerator that throws large gravity bombs. Physical projectile similar to canon weapon. Firing mechanism is also similar to canon weapon. What do you reckon?

KaineSig.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,633 posts

This looks very solid to me now. I have to request one minor edit, but this otherwise looks good to me.

at 50 meters, hull armor would begin breaking up due to the gravitational stresses, and the effects simply get worse from there on in, similar to approaching a quantum singularity.

If you could replace "would" in both instances with "could" or "is designed to" in this sentence, we should be set. The only reason we can't use "would" here, is that it looks like it could be dictating damage to enemy writers. While this weapon should definitely hurt a lot, the opposing writer ultimately decides how much damage their ship is going to take.

Edited by Gir Quee, 23 February 2018 - 12:25 AM.
further clarification

KULV1Mo.pngARav83L.png

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,895 posts

Done and dusted, hopefully... Gir Quee

KaineSig.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Roleplay Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,633 posts

Going through this again with a fine-tooth comb:

Effective Range: Battlefield

Nothing wrong with this having "Battlefield" range, but per the template, this also needs to be added to the "strengths" section.

This is a pretty powerful weapon, but I also think that is balanced out by a few things not explicitly mentioned in the submission itself. I'd like these to be added to the weaknesses section just so that people can explicitly see the balance (the words here don't have to exactly be the ones listed here, but the general concept should): 

1) Indiscriminate: This is an area of effect weapon that cannot alter its effects on ships near the projectile's targets. That means that if there is a friendly or neutral vessel nearby, there's a good chance that this will also affect them.

2) Interceptible: The gravity generators & power (or whatever device inside the shells) is going to take up a good amount of space to keep a sustained effect like this going. This means that the projectiles are going to be large enough to potentially be intercepted midflight in the right circumstances with the right equipment.

KULV1Mo.pngARav83L.png