OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: A heavy capital-grade weapon for Mandalorian Capital Ships
- Image Source: Link
- Canon Link: Hyperspace Pulsemass Generator
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: Dovin basal, Gravity Bomb, Gravfield Generator, Hypervelocity Gun
- Manufacturer: MandalArms
- Model: G1
- Affiliation: Kaine Australis, MandalArms
- Modularity: No
- Production: Limited
- Material: Dallorian Alloy, Doonium, Hadrium, Denscris, Durasteel, Transparisteel, Silicar
- Classification: Capital-class weapon
- Size: Very Large
- Weight: Extreme
- Ammunition Type: Gravity Bomb
- Ammunition Capacity: 20
- Reload Speed: Very Low
- Effective Range: Average
- Rate of Fire: Very Low
- Stopping Power: Extreme
- Recoil: Extreme
- Fires large gravity bombs at excessive velocity that can cause incredible amounts of damage.
- Gravitic and energy damage from weapon detonation can rip away shields and tear apart hull armor, similar to a Yuuzhan Vong dovin basal's singularity.
- Phenomenal gravitic, energy and kinetic damage potential against most forms of defence.
- Excellent range for such a heavy damage weapon
- Major risk of damage to firing ship on premature detonation.
- Limited to one gravitic cannon per ship/station, except for one unique battlecruiser designed around multiple cannons
- Hull area clearance required for this weapon lowers the amount of defenses that can be placed in an area around the weapon mounting.
- Weapon requires significant charge time to fire at full power.
- Weapon is limited to bow or spinal mount due to recoil and firing stress.
- Cannot be scaled down for use on smaller vessels or as a planetary weapon.
- This is an area of effect weapon that cannot alter its effects on ships near the projectile's targets. That means that if there is a friendly or neutral vessel nearby, there's a good chance that this will also affect them.
- Projectiles are large enough to potentially be intercepted midflight in the right circumstances with the right equipment.
- Vessel must return to port to reload gravity bombs.
The Gravitic Cannon works on the same principles as the Hypervelocity Mass Driver and Gravity Bomb. A containment and stabilization casing surrounds the hypergraviticenergy inside the bomb. On impact or detonation, this casing is crushed by the intense gravitational field generated.
Engineers increased the power that went into the standard gravity bomb, making casing larger and the warhead much more powerful, though it was found that it took exponential power demands to increase the amount of the gravitic energy that could be built up. This research involved experiments with both Yevethan gravity bombs and Yuuzhan Vong dovin basal bioforms, into the manipulation of gravitic fields and projection of singularity-like effects over a limited area.
Range was also another difficulty that was solved by launching the projectile via electromagnetic acceleration, allowing a small sphere to pick up speed in the weapon and increased the velocity of the gravity bomb projectile to railgun speeds.
The weapon's net effect is a gravitic distortion caused by an artificially inflated gravity mass rotating at incredible speed. The effect is similar to passing the event horizon of a singularity. Range of damage is limited as the gravitic energy dissipates. This also removes the weapon's potential as an interdiction device as its area of effect is reasonably localised to less than a few hundred meters. Gravfield generators built into the weapon's mount protect the firing vessel from the gravitic damage of accelerating such a large projectile to hypervelocity speeds.
At impact the standard projectile can release enough gravity to rip apart a starship's hull armor in a large area several orders of magnitude larger than the area of the sphere itself. In addition a near miss also has the power to pull or deform hull armor/shields, and an actual hit would also release an amount of energy from the sphere as there is an actual collision, dealing large amounts of thermal as well as kinetic damage to the target. The explosions should create damage on an order of magnitude scale, the closer to the sphere the more exponential gravity's power. Effects on ships can begin at 2000 meters and can increase in order of magnitude as the distance closes.
Actual damage (ie tearing pieces off the hulls due to gravity) can begin occurring when the distance is decreased to 500 meters for ships that are poorly put together, and inside 100 meters the gravity can be intense enough to begin warping hull armor slightly, at 50 meters, hull armor could begin breaking up due to the gravitational stresses, and the effects simply get worse from there on in as you get closer to the epicentre.
Kinetic damage can occur when the pieces of hull or other solid objects are tossed about in the orbit of the sphere's gravitational field, such as starfighters, pieces of debris, missiles, and pieces of ship hull that has been torn free and sent all the way around the sphere to impact against another portion of the hull.
Each weapon has its own reactor buried under the hull.
The weapon itself is 50m at the base, and requires 200 meters of clear hullspace in each direction to be fired safely at maximum power.
Due to the massive hull stress and subsequent required structural integrity reinforcement, this weapon will generally need to have a vessel purpose built to withstand the gravitational stresses of both firing the weapon, and the passage of the projectile as it leaves the weapon. Also considering the massive power requirements, such a custom designed vessel would need to be purpose built with the gravitic cannon in mind.
The range is that of a standard turbolaser, but the projectile can reach up to 7km/sec at maximum power.
Edited by Zef Halo, 08 May 2018 - 10:34 AM.
Mod request 8.5.2018