18 replies to this topic

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

no3GxUd.png

They say that in the vast cities across the galaxy you catch a glimpse of everything and everyone. People, regardless of species, gender and financial situation; the tallest of towers, the most luxurious starships and most technologically advanced droids - you saw it all on planets such as Coruscant. Some claim that Coruscant never sleeps and that it's always on the move somewhere and somehow. With a population so large it was likely, but everywhere you looked it all went the same. Unless, that is, if you travelled beneath the surface.

The levels beneath Coruscant were considered the underworld, a place in which crime most definitely paid. Coruscant's Security Force could only do so much, and the galactic underworld was very much a cesspool of criminal activity, impossible to clean up in it's entirety. Such hopelessness had reached the CSF, and took it's toll upon the once dedicated servicemen. A joint operation between Vice and Homocide seemed to clear up a bust, but a keener eye revealed something dirty on the Vice side of things, and it was Kole's task to get to the bottom of it.

In a galaxy so vast, with enemies at very corner, even in the sanctuary of your own department, who can you trust? The poster boy. A perfect record, an impressive record - he was the one, and it only helped that he happened to be working alongside Vice that day. Harper found himself rather out of place as he entered Jin's hometown, but this was off the books. It was discreet. Forced to operate outside the safe haven of the police department. It was a dire situation to be sure.

A closed right first politely collided with the apartment door after pressing the button that was assumed to be a door bell. On the other side may or may not be a man that Jin recognised, and in truth it didn't necessarily matter. Kole simply had a job to do and he only needed help.

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

10-8

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 147 posts

Kole Harper

One thing Kole would have noticed when entering the street of Jin's apartment complex: everything suddenly went down a notch.

There were still the busy sounds of the Atrisian enclave streets, the vendors, the peddlers, the merchants in the alleys. The enforcers in the corners and the ugly walkers of the night in between. The Atrisian Enclave -called Little Jar'Kai by some - was one of the more violent districts, but Jin's street was... safe. It implied a thing or two and only underlined his reputation as the poster boy of the department.

He kept order, kept things clean and for some reasons the thugs and enforcers decided it wasn't worth pushing against.

It took a while, before footsteps could be overheard behind the door. Muffled. This implied that the door was far more sturdy and resistant than it would seem from the outside. 

"Can I help you?" Jin's voice would sound through the comms next to Kole's ear. Then a little bit more off, like he turned his head away, "Yeah no, put your clothes back on, got a visit." No Shao didn't know who Kole was, but he recognized him. He didn't peg him as a cop yet, neither as an undergrounder, but the fact that he recognized him and that Kole was visiting him at his place?

Well, let's just say that he had survived this long in the department because of his instincts.

This one was ringing hard right now.

AAA.gif

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

CORUSCANT

LITTLE JAR'KAI, UNDETERMINED TIME 

"It's Harper from..." Kole's words trailed off briefly, they turned into a soft pile of jargon that he couldn't quite formulate for a second or two, and he knew full well that this was going to come across as suspicious. However, ousting yourself as an officer of the law in an area such as this was less than favourable, and so in time he concluded with, "... Work."

A smirk couldn't help but crack the expression on his face after hearing the subtle words that weren't intended for him, at least someone was enjoying themselves. Kole most certainly wasn't. Inspecting corruption was a full-time job, as was being a Homocide Detective. He lived two lives, intertwined as one with hardly enough time to enjoy the simple things life had to offer. It was all that Kole sought, too. A shame, really.

"This is Shao, right?" Had to be certain, now didn't he. "I need to ask you something that's best said behind closed doors."

Jin Shao

Edited by Kole Harper, 13 March 2018 - 03:36 PM.

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

10-8

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 147 posts

Kole Harper

....work.

That could mean either of two things, but Kole didn't look Triads. 

Didn't have the... stuff and Jin had an eye for that after this many years. "It is, hold on for a while, yeah?" Why would someone from the Law he had never met before suddenly come to his doorstep? Anyone else might have panicked, but Jin... Jin just breathed out and went to work. It didn't take long for the door to push open.... out came two women, both Atrisians, both not sparing him more than a single curious look.

They knew better than to remember faces in a neighborhood like this.

"Work, huh?" Jin was leaning against the doorstep now, glancing him over for a few seconds, before nodding and gesturing with his head inside. "Come in- you packing anything?

Probably did if this was work.

But that was a thing Shao needed to know in advance. 

That way this wouldn't turn awkward within the next ten seconds when the security measures kicked in at detection. There were a thing or two you learned on the job, the other lessons were taught on the streets.

AAA.gif

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

CORUSCANT

LITTLE JAR'KAI, UNDETERMINED TIME

Kole gave a simple, "Mhmm." As a reply, his muffled grunt-like sound most likely barely making it through the door. Whatever went on behind closed doors was exactly that, it was likely lawful, for a man such as Shao wasn't one to walk that life, or so Harper thought. Even if Kole believed them to be working in an illegal or heavily discouraged industry, a blind eye was most definitely turned for today in hopes or something greater being achieved. 

​The Detective stepped away from the door as it opened, further stepping out of the path of the two women that strode by him; most likely in skimpy clothing themselves. Jin stood by the door shortly thereafter, and in response to the latter of his questions, Kole raised the left side of his coat to reveal the weapon hidden beneath. Walking inside the apartment, barely behind Jin.

"It's regarding the recent joint operation between Homocide and Vice," Harper said, closing the door behind him if Shao hadn't done so already, "You were apart of that, right?"

Jin Shao

Edited by Kole Harper, 14 March 2018 - 07:20 PM.

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

10-8

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 147 posts

Kole Harper

"The Gamorrean bust? Yeah." Jin glanced over to the heat Harper was packing, before gesturing towards the table. "Leave it there, you don't want to walk into my living room while wearing that." Unless it was specifically keyed to the security systems, but that was most definitely not the case. Depending on the potency of the gun it could simply sizzle out or... well, best not to think of that. He wandered over to the couch and settled himself down- no drinks were offered, but this was Johnny Law for the both of them and Kole seemed to be still on duty.

Maybe another time.

"Was a straightforward case for the most part. They converted a meat chop facility into a drug lab, used the freezers to stay under the radar." The cold and frost kept the sensor equipment from detecting them, unless it was literally on top of 'em.

A shrug followed soon after that.

Oh, there was more to the story, but that was the official talking points and they both knew it. Right now Jin barely had an idea what Kole was doing here and the rest was pretty much restricted. Nobody in the department wanted to let it out that their prized case got botched in the aftermath. Vice kept it under the wraps and that was that, half a million of drugs on the streets and all the equipment in the wind.

Coruscant's finest.

"As far as I am aware that case was closed." Jin followed up carefully. 

AAA.gif

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

CORUSCANT

​A right hand travelled inside the coat, slowly drawing the blaster pistol that was once concealed within it's holster. It soon found itself resting against the surface Jin had indicated. If those security systems did in fact exist, Kole wasn't interested in testing out their effectiveness. A brief thought as to why he needed such a potentially lethal security system crossed his mind, he was only a cop after all - yet living in a neighbourhood such as this warrants it, surely. As a result, Harper dismissed his brief and wandering internal question.

"It was." Kole replied in reference to the status of the case, "But, half the drugs and equipment never made it back. Thinking somebody might be in with others, handing it off for a fee." Harper's head cocked to the left with eyebrows raised, looking towards Jin expectantly. He may very well assume that Kole was suggesting it was him, but his intent was to probe as to whether the poster boy knew of any corruption that lingered in the members of that operation.

He stood just before the couch with his eyes on Jin, his cold hands rubbing against each other in an attempt to heat them back up. Mostly pointless, however, considering the Detective was now inside.

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

10-8

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 147 posts

Kole Harper

What Kole got wasn't surprise or shock.

Instead there was a wary searching glance in Jin's expression, as if he was looking for something in the face of the visiting cop, but it didn't take long to come to a decision.

That was also noticeable.

hardening in his eyes that indicated Jin was about to throw caution to the wind or there about. "It is possible this isn't strictly speaking... news to me." Well, it certainly wasn't news to him, considering he was the one who had angled all of this just right to get the Triads what they had wanted, but that was besides the point as far as Jin was concerned. He leaned forward, elbows on knees, rubbing his face with open palms and brushing hair back in a collective sign of exhaustion.

"Might be I have been doing some investigating on my own on the side." If that was true, it would explain why Jin seemed less than forward about this all. After all if there was someone (or multiple someone's) on the inside and handling all of this?

Jin's investigation would land him in a dangerous situation.

Especially now that someone randomly showed up at his doorstep.

"How do I know I can trust you, Kole?" Until there was indisputable proof that the man in front of him wasn't part of the conspiracy? Jin seemed unwilling to take any chances. It was paranoia, maybe, but both of them knew that it was the bare minimum to keep yourself safe in the departments they worked at. Coruscant's finest weren't called that because they were squeaky clean. Couldn't be. Coruscant was too large to not have any corruption in its cogs.

It would explain the increased security in his apartment as well.

Everything lined up exactly how it was supposed to be.

AAA.gif

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

CORUSCANT

​A thin, one-sided smile tugged at the edge of left side of his lip. Amusement at Jin's final remark considering if anyone could be trusted within the entirety of the CSF, it was in fact Kole. For what was to be shortly revealed told all, even if it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but Shao earned a reputation for a reason- surely Harper could trust him. Unfortunately, he didn't know the truth.

"Between yourself and I," Harper began, his head bowing to peer into his coat as his left hand pulled the left side of it away, allowing Kole's right hand to grab at a data pad that rest within one of the pockets. "Considering this is something you legally cannot tell anyone, for I legally cannot either." He continued, pressing away at various screens until offering it to Jin. Upon the screen was an Internal Affairs dossier of one Kole Harper.

Both men were moles walking either side of the law.

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

10-8

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 147 posts

Kole Harper

Jin looked long and hard at what the datapad was showing him.

Then it seemed he deflated like a weight falling off his shoulders as the path became clear to him. Slowly, he pulled his hand from under the cushion (at first it had seemed like a casual situation) and revealed his own revolver, which had been pointed at Kole from the moment they had settled down. The pistol was put carefully on the table once the safety was on again. In a way it was a sign of trust, or at the very least a willingness to move towards that particular feeling.

"I am sorry." A nod as he began to relax, scratching the side of his head for a moment before shaking his head and chuckling. "Ever since I found out about the missing evidence-" because it was evidence. "-I have been on edge, unsure who I could trust with all this."

Definitely not his partner Rooker, right?

After all, he was under iA investigation himself and Kole might be aware of that.

"How can I help?"

AAA.gif

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

CORUSCANT

A visible and sudden shift in Kole's expression formulated once the weapon was revealed, despite it's non-threatening nature in the hands of Shao. However, his briefly tense stance faded as relief washed over him. Harper's left hand moved up towards his face, placing that hand on his cheek and letting out a hefty exhale that further showed his relief. It rubbed up his face, bowing his head slightly once it reached his hair line, chuckling alongside Jin, yet only for a second or two.

The man definitely felt more comfortable, more relaxed. He found himself sitting on the couch, angling himself towards Shao whilst assuming a more 'serious' expression, but it was more bland if anything. "You said you noticed the evidence was missing? Have any leads, theories...?" Kole's right hand spinning like a rolling wheel, prompting an continued answer.

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

10-8

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 147 posts

Kole Harper

He leaned back and thought for a moment.

"I always check-up on the cases I do, make sure everything is solid, all ends tied up, you know?" It's partially why his conviction rate and reputation was as sterling as it was. Jin didn't do half-measures and he went all the way to ensure the business he attended was crystal cut. "Vice didn't know that- always has been a disconnect between the various Departments, but I don't need to tell you that." iA would know that better than most, whatever the head was doing, the arms didn't know, vice versa.

That was partially why corruption was rife.

But Coruscant was huge and this was a natural consequence of that. "I dropped by unannounced to reconfirm my signatures, make sure they processed it all right. Been a couple of times they classify their evidence wrong and the perp walks, right?"

Because of his diligence that didn't happen to him. Until now anyway.

"Anyway- I was the guy who caught the haul in the first place, did a rough count, then transferred it over to Sergeant Dillinger of the 74 Precinct. Vice doesn't like it when Homicide gets involved in their space." A shrug followed. "So I knew roughly how much crap we caught this time- only when I rechecked the billings, turned out someone had changed the numbers. Smudged them here and there so to speak." Kole would know what that meant- these guys were... reckless or thought they owned every single rung in the ladder.

"Been investigating Dillinger ever since."

AAA.gif

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

CORUSCANT

"Confronted him?" Something told Kole he hadn't, though that was for the best. Tipping Dillinger off that something wasn't quite right in corruption land could only alert others, give them time to clean up or clear out. The Detective didn't know what he was going to do just yet, but he knew it involved Dillinger and the truth. Even if extracting left him in the open, it didn't matter considering the incarceration Dillinger was soon to face if such a thing truly did happen.

As Kole's left hand scratched at the underside of his jaw he spoke once more, "If not, that's where we start."

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

10-8

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 147 posts

Kole Harper

A shake of the head to deny it.

"No. I have no idea how far this stretches, who is involved, for how long and who they got in their pocket." Well, technically Jin did, but that was besides the point. "I was waiting to collect enough evidence, then maybe go public with it." A dangerous prospect and one that would surely burn his career, because no matter what there would be powerful figures escaping his evidence.

They'd make sure he'd pay.

But that did underline how much Jin... cared

More about getting some of them to justice than his sterling career. "Have you had any luck with your own investigation? We could compare notes and see what pops up?"

AAA.gif

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

CORUSCANT

A single cock of his head to the left, smack of the lips and wandering eyes allowed Kole to comfortably state the fact he knew next to nothing. "Everything I know has been discussed today." His eyes falling upon Jin's, "You've been a great help, though. I'll visit Dillinger in the morning." His right hand shuffled over to his left wrist, sliding back the coat's sleeve to reveal a watch, "Or later tonight, I've got time."

Seconds of silence filled the room for a moment or two before Kole went at it once more, "Did you manage to get a list on who worked that op, by the way?" An inquisitive tone of voice and expression clear as day.

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

10-8

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 147 posts

Kole Harper

Hm.

Jin wasn't sure now if he had done the right thing or not, but in the end he decided this wasn't a regret. 

Why? Because of that look in Kole's eyes. It was the look of a man who didn't give up, dogged, hungry to find out more, he'd pursue this lead with or without him. Eventually he'd find something, especially as an iA agent. Even if it was outside the books, he'd still have more resources available to him than the regular Joe. It would be better to insert himself early and be able to guide it as much as he could.

"I am glad I was able to fill in the gaps then, Kole." Jin said with a nod. "I-" He frowned before shaking his head. "I'd prefer if you didn't. This is larger than Dillinger and if you spook him? He might tip off the people above him."

They'd squash this case before it started.

...or they'd assign assistance and figure it out completely, but that wasn't what Jin was looking to highlight.

"I- hm. We could work together on this? Group our resources together, two heads are better than one."

AAA.gif

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

CORUSCANT

There was hesitation, definitely. Bringing someone high profile may attract unwanted eyes, but in the end Kole could not go it alone. That much he knew, but didn't want to admit- stubborn as he was.

"Sure." He replied with a nod, "Remember, though, we're just any other cop." Kole needed Jin to remain inconspicuous throughout the investigation, to keep his true motives entirely unknown; little did Harper know, however, Shao was far greater at keeping things hidden then even he.

"We'll start tomorrow. Everything you have on this case goes on my desk, run it from there." Harper's legs began being put back to use, standing right up from the couch.

Jin Shao

Edited by Kole Harper, 15 March 2018 - 06:19 PM.

Jin Shao

Jin Shao

10-8

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 147 posts

Kole Harper

"How do you think I have been running this before you came 'round?" Jin retorted with a light bite of snark. It was clear that Kole wanted to take lead on this and he was alright with that. Those that rushed ahead were often the most easily fooled. 

They had preconceptions that could be filled.

Ideas that could be molded.

Just needed the right words, the right push, right angle. No, there was no professional pride there, but he allowed himself to project hesitation regardless. It would fit with one Jin Shao, poster boy, all-round vigilant detective that didn't enjoy leaving things out of his hands. "...I guess. You are sure your 'desk' is secure?" Jin wasn't talking about his physical desk. Instead Shao was voicing hesitation with the state of Kole's department and wondering if it was the best route.

AAA.gif

Kole Harper

Kole Harper

Sinner

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

CORUSCANT

"It'll do." Kole was sure of it. Whilst the corruption ran thick in the blood line of the CSF, his 'desk' was secure. Both literally and figuratively. Not many bothered with Harper, and his own desk was well out of the way behind closed doors. It was a point he wouldn't budge on, perhaps it was his own stubbornness that had done this to him. It didn't matter, though- not really.

Ultimately, Harper continued on his leave. Placing his weapon back inside his coat before opening the door. There was no good bye, no wave of the hand or anything. Just a silent departure. Kole never was that much of a peoples person anyways.

Jin Shao

Edited by Kole Harper, 17 March 2018 - 11:05 PM.