• Intent: An organic space mine for Mandalorian forces
  • Image Source: Link
  • Canon Link: None
  • Restricted Missions: None
  • Primary Source: None

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

• Classification: Space Mine
  • Size:   Average (Half the size of a TIE fighter)
  • Weight: Average
  • Ammunition Type: Explosive biowarhead, Yaret-kor projectiles
  • Ammunition Capacity: 1 warhead, effectively unlimited yaret-kor shots
  • Reload Speed:  Average 
  • Effective Range:  Average
  • Rate of Fire:  Average
  • Stopping Power: Yaret-Kor Average Warhead Extreme
  • Recoil: Average

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Thick yorik coral hull
  • Yaret-kor plasma cannon
  • Blast bug/Sparkbee explosive core
  • MBE-1

Strengths:

• Resistant to most forms of attack with thick hull and dovin basal defences
  • MBE-1 provides access to jam resistant comms and sensor network
  • Very explosive and potentially devastating warhead detonation

Weaknesses:

• External weapon has very limited range
  • Mines whose organic components are otherwise killed will not detonate
  • Warhead can be prematurely detonated if hull is pierced

DESCRIPTION

Designed as both a space defence weapon and area denial munition to protect Mandalorian worlds from attack, the MandalBioEng space mine takes the next great leap forward in Mandalorian understanding of Yuuzhan Vong biotechnology.

Mandalorian scientists, utilized the Yuuzhan vong creatures known as sparkbees to create a powerul explosive charge. This is encased in thick Yorik Coral and armed with a powerful starfighter grade Yaret-kor plasma cannon. By combining those two, the mad but clever boffins at MBE created a formidable organic based defensive platform.

Able to engage starfighters and even small capital ships at close range, these living weapons are able to protect themselves well, utitlizing Dovin Basal singularities for short range defence. Should they go boom, the volatile core blows as big as any proton torpedo, blowing shards of Yorik coral in every direction. The weapons have an average range for the anti-starfighter weapons that they represent.

Edited by Kaine Australis, 18 April 2018 - 09:55 PM.

Kaine1.gif

“It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill.” 

RoQEwot.gifBombad-General.gifMpNVDrh.gif

Armor - Gun - Cannon - Kad'Kyramud - Jetiikad'ika

SoA-3.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Under Review.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Kaine Australis, is this something that is going to be launched from ships like a traditional, static space mine? Or is it something that's going to be deployed like more a starfighter?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,422 posts

Gir Quee definitely deployed from a minelayer. They're intended as static defence, able to maneuver and move slowly into position, but not a fightercraft.

Kaine1.gif

“It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill.” 

SoA-3.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Kaine Australis, we typically use the ranged weapon Technology template for things like this then(example here and here).

The one instance where it might make more sense to have this be a ship is if this mine is going to be moving and maneuvering as fast as most starfighters (which I'm guessing isn't the case based on its current ratings).

Would you object if I moved this to the Technology Forum to reformat it into the Ranged Weapons Template?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,422 posts

Gir Quee No worries at all.

Kaine1.gif

SoA-3.gif

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,422 posts

Gir Quee Ported to Tech-ranged weapon template

Kaine1.gif

SoA-3.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Kaine Australis, how large is this roughly? (able to be deployed by starfighter, dedicated minelayer, capital ship, etc;a metric size would also work if you'd prefer).

Yaret-kor plasma cannons

How many cannons does this have per mine?

Effective Range:  Average

External weapons have very limited range

These seem to conflict to me. Can you clarify this for me please? 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,422 posts

Gir Quee I'd say around half the size of a TIE fighter, and packing 6 starfighter grade weapons.

Average range for a PD weapon as opposed to an anti capship weapon is what i meant with the range.

Kaine1.gif

SoA-3.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Stopping Power: Extreme

Is this for the warhead? Or for the plasma cannons as well? It may not hurt to break it up by weapon type for this section. As strictly an example, something like "Stopping Power: Extreme (warhead) / Average (plasma cannons)".

It's worth noting that an "extreme" rating requires justification in the strength's and weaknesses's sections per the template.

I'd say around half the size of a TIE fighter, and packing 6 starfighter grade weapons.

That size seems reasonable.

We do have a similar mine concept that combines a gun and a warhead: here. I think that based onlooking at this, the MBE space mine is carrying a lot of guns for its size though, assuming that the "6 starfighter grade weapons" are all plasma cannons. I think that one or two is probably going to be more appropriate, especially since the warhead itself looks to be powerful.

Average range for a PD weapon as opposed to an anti capship weapon is what i meant with the range.

That makes sense to me. I'd probably put something in the description there clarifying that. 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,422 posts

Gir Quee No worries, edits made. Dropped the guns to 2 and clarified their size and range.

Kaine1.gif

SoA-3.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Material: Yorik coral, Yaret-kors, Blast bugs, Dovin Basals

What roles do the Dovin Basals play in this submission? I don't see them mentioned anywhere except in the materials section. It's probably one of those things that should be mentioned in the description.

Stopping Power: Extreme

If you'll break this up by weapon type please. As mentioned before the "extreme" stopping power also needs to be listed in the strength's section.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,422 posts

Gir Quee No worries, edits and additions made.

Kaine1.gif

SoA-3.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Kaine Australis, per the weapons template, the "Extreme" rating for stopping for the warhead itself need to be explicitly listed in the "Strengths" section. This is will probably mean that another weakness will need to be added to balance out this additional strength (or alternatively, a different strength could be nerfed).

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,422 posts

Gir Quee No worries, edits made.

Kaine1.gif

SoA-3.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Effective Range:  Average Warhead Extreme

Same thing with this one. Extreme ratings almost always require justifying in the strengths section and extensive countering weakness at lower production levels.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,422 posts

Gir Quee No worries, additional weakness added

Kaine1.gif

SoA-3.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Large area of effect of warhead detonation

To clarify, when you're taking about the range, we're talking about the blast radius and not the actual ability of the warhead to travel towards something?

If the warhead doesn't travel, the range would actually be "point-blank", and that blast radius would be covered under the extreme stopping power.

Warhead can be prematurely detonated if hull is pierced

This is largely negated by having a thick hull and defensive dovin basals. Those features in fact should probably be added to the submission's strengths, as most canon mines instantly blow up when hit by even the lightest of enemy fire.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 1,422 posts

Gir Quee Both the mine rushing a target and a big boom combined. :)

Edits and clarifications made. Also weakness added.

Edited by Kaine Australis, 16 April 2018 - 09:46 PM.

Kaine1.gif

SoA-3.gif

Gir Quee

Gir Quee

Directorate Officer

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 4,376 posts

Kaine Australis, to clarify then, the mine has "extreme" range because the dovin basal propels the mine towards its target?

This really looks its pushing the boundaries to me, and I really doubt that I can approve something at minor production with two ratings of "extreme".

Minor production gives you a little bit more leeway for power than a mass produced product, but in general, this shouldn't be too far off from something canonical like the Mine Type A in terms of overall effectiveness. What I'm seeing right now is a large number of advantages over the basic mine. It's not uncommon to see a mine have one or two of these qualities, but I do not know any mines that all of these qualities: 

1) Dovin Basal (or shield) defense

2) Durable exterior

3) Self-propelled (especially with extreme long-range)

4) Two guns

5) Extreme Stopping power

6) Resistant/immune to ion weaponry

7) Resistant/immune to jamming

We can probably pass this if it possesses 2-3 of these traits at minor production.

Posted ImagePosted Image