OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: Create a cargo transport for TSE
- Image Source: Click - FractalSponge
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: N/A
- Manufacturer: Sith-Imperial Corps of Engineers
- Model: Vicar-class Cargo Frigate
- Affiliation: The Sith Empire
- Production: Minor
- Classification: Container Transport
- Length: 462.8m
- Width: 214m
- Height: 120m
- Armament: Average
- Defenses: Moderate
- Deflector Shields
- Reinforced Hull
- Defensive Weaponry
- Point-defense Cannons
- Electronic Defenses
- Cap Drain
- Anti-Missile Defenses
- Warhead Countermeasures
- Hangar: Low
- 1 Starfighter Squadron
- Maneuverability Rating: Average
- Speed Rating: Moderate
- Hyperdrive Class: Average
- Armed Transport: Larger than most cargo haulers, the Vicar-class is outfitted with six quad turbolaser cannons capable of defending the ship from equal or smaller size as well as pesky starfighters. Additional point-defense turrets contributes to a tighter defense grid.
- Limited Stern Weaponry: The Vicar shares the same weakness as its larger Imperial contemporaries, that being minimal defensive weaponry towards the rear of the ship. While each quad turbolaser cannon can spin 360°, the engines often obscure enemy ships directly behind the Vicar.
- Poorly Optimized For Combat Endurance: Though possessing adequate weaponry and shielding for short bursts of engagements, the Vicar is not even closely optimized for long, drawn-out affairs. Enough persistence on behalf of marauders can wear down the Vicar's systems.
With the advent of increased pirate and rebel activity across the Empire's newly conquered states, the reliance on smaller (often unarmed) cargo haulers was proven to be riskier than it was worth. Such convoys were often subjected to ambushed by brigands with a success rate that was deemed too expensive by the logistic officers of the Empire's vast trade network.
Larger convoys of FSCVs typically did the trick in warding off raiding parties, but they were slow and were entirely reliant on a large escort to protect them across vast distances.
Several civilian frigate designs were requisitioned by the Empire and were ultimately repurposed as the Vicar-class Cargo Frigate. The Vicar was armed with six quad turbolaser cannons, a multitude of point-defense lasers, and a single squadron of Imperial fighters.
A typical convoy included at most three Vicar frigates, with an assortment of anywhere between four to eight Dakhan-class Patrol Carriers.
Edited by Darth Carnifex, 31 May 2018 - 03:07 PM.