"Can't outrun the sunrise."
= OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION =
Intent: To create a powerful heavy sidearm for the Thyrsian Sun Guards of the Golden Company.
Image Source: Exotic Handcannon 3D Model. Sunshot from Destiny 2.
Canon Link: Solar Ionization Cannon.
Restricted Missions: If Required.
Primary Source: VW-02 “Icarus” - Pattern Solar Ionization Rifle. Repurposed Canon Articles.
= PRODUCTION INFORMATION =
Manufacturer: The Golden Company, The Thyrsian Hierarchy. (Select, and Contracted Foundries.)
Model: VW-03 “Apollo” - Pattern Solar Ionization Pistol.
Affiliation: The Golden Company, The Thyrsian Hierarchy, Closed-Market.
Modularity: Yes; Exterior Attachments, Decorative Casing, and Focal Lens.
Production: Limited - The Golden Company.
Material: Titanium-Reinforced Duramentium Frame, Reinforced Duraplast Casing, Anti-Ion Mesh (Faraday Cage), Prismatic Flame Gem Focusing Lens, Myoflex Heatsinks and Cooling Coils, Retractable Photovoltaic / Solar Ionization Panels, Various Blaster and Composite Laser Components.
= TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS =
Classification: Solar Ionization Pistol, Exotic Weapon.
Size: Average Rating. (Including the Belt-mounted Generator.)
Length: 10 Inches (Excluding Generator.)
Weight: Average Rating. (Including the Belt-mounted Generator.)
Ammunition Type: Tibanna Gas Canister (Plasma Spun), Rechargeable Blaster-Grade Plasma Cartridge(s), Rechargeable Blaster-Grade Power Cell(s), Belt-mounted Generator (With Solar Ionization conversion module and retractable Solar Collection panels.)
Ammunition Capacity: 10 Shots per Power Cell, 40 Shots per Plasma Cartridge, ~60 Shots per Solar Generator Charge (Depending on Conditions.)
Reload Speed: Slow Rating.
Effective Range: Personal Rating.
Optimum Effective Range: 20 Metres.
Maximum Effective Range: 50 Metres.
Rate of Fire: Low Rating.
Stopping Power: Very High Rating.
Recoil: High Rating.
- Gription Magnatomic Grip
- Ambidextrous Power Cell and Plasma Cartridge Release and Housing.
- Myoflex Heatsinks and Cooling Coils.
- Thumbhole Fixed Stock with Vibrating Ammunition Pulser.
- Integrated “Crimson Dot” Sight. (Infra-red Laser.)
- Automated and Wireless HUD Uplink Module.
- Prismatic Flame Gem Focusing Lens.
- Ablative Duramentium Focusing Iris.
- Anti-Ion Mesh and Reinforced Duraplast Casing.
- Retractable Solar Ionization Panel(s). (Supplementary and Integrated Recharge Station.)
- Pseudo-Disruptor: Due to the intrinsic capabilities of a Solar Ionization weapon, the blast - when fired - is able to bypass conventional deflector shields and strike the target protected beneath. While the starship-grade cannons were able to melt durasteel in a single shot, the portable variant requires a concentrated burst of accurate fire in order to superheat the metallic surface its particle blast strikes against. However, despite this drawback, when at full charge, the blast is able to forcibly change the target’s state of matter in a similar method to that of a disruptor. Although, unlike a disruptor, the process isn’t instant, nor is it humane, as the target (materials depending) has the possibility of bursting into flames, before becoming wind swept ash.
- Splash Damage: Because of its nature as a plasmonic globule unlike the composite particle beam of its cousin, instead of being titrated out over a continuous laser pulse, each shot from the VW-03 is supercharged. Over the course of their trajectory, discharges from the pistol begin to destabilize, and the ionization process often ripples from struck targets, sending arcs of flame shooting out which are capable of severely wounding anyone nearby.
- Ionic Resistance: While the insulating materials integrated into the design of the VW-03 grants the weapon an innate resistance against ionized discharges and electromagnetic pulses, it is not an immunity. The “Apollo” is still susceptible to having its defences overwhelmed, should the disabling detonation occur within a close proximity of the weaponized apparatus, and is sufficient enough to forcibly interrupt the pistol's automated operation. If this eventuality comes to pass, the weapon would be rendered inoperable as the onboard systems would require a manual reboot, before being able to unleash the fury of the Sun once again. (Example: Close-Proximity Ion/EMP Grenades, Etc.)
- Power Consumptive: Requiring a consistent source of power to convert Tibanna gas into superheated plasma, the VW-03 swiftly depletes any power cell or plasma cartridge that’s slammed into its casing. Thus, with any standard font of power, its production capability is vastly reduced to compensate for the high power requirements relative to its compact frame, which often meant that this weapon would be rendered useless in short order. However, with that being said, this weakness could be marginally offset by attaching a specialized generator to the induction port of the weapon. Although, this came at the risk of rapidly overheating the weapon, more so than it would with standard energy cells, which would fuse the interior mechanisms and render the weapon utterly inoperable.
- Solar-Based Weaponry: While the power offered by the Solar Ionization Cannons are extraordinary, there are several requirements in which to fully utilize its lethal potential. The first and the most important thing that is needed was a specialized generator that can be recharged and store Solar energy. This meant that the weapon is most effective when deployed in environments that had ample access to such radiant energy, and is at its least effective when deployed in areas deprived of the local Stars embrace. When employed in the sunless territories, the weapon will rapidly deplete the energy within the specialized generator and be rendered utterly useless after the energy had been spent. It will be unable to produce a coherent globule of energy until the generator is fully-recharged, and will leave the operator with quite the burden until that process is complete. (Note: The ionization conversion of solar radiation is not a process that instantly occurs, and thus would take several minutes to regain its optimum levels.)
- Rapid Overheating: While having a consistent wellspring of power is important to generate the coherent beam of lethal energy, it also brings with it the incredible dangers of overheating. Although there are measures put in place to safely dissipate the heat generated by channeling the personified fury of the Sun, it is more than possible for the Operator to overheat the weapon in an attempt to melt a large, or resilient target. Should this happen, the weapon would be rendered inoperable for a period of time, while the automated cooling process vents the excess heat and attempts to restore the optimal levels required for operation. With that being said, the safety protocols can be overridden at great risk to the bearer of the VW-03 and allow for the weapon to continue firing. However, should that eventuality come to pass, it comes with an ever-increasing risk of turning the entire weapon into molten slag, and/or spontaneously combusting - burning to death as their hubris engulfs them in the Sun’s uncaring glare.
In the aftermath of the Order’s invasion of Sector L-49, the Golden Company had found itself bathed in the riches of yet another successful contract. With the small fortune they had garnered, the Artificers within the Guild of Armourers had been commisioned to create a new, and powerful weapon for the Sun Guard’s arsenal to combat their foes. The VW-02 “Icarus” Pattern Solar Particle Rifle was the fruits of their laborious endeavour and would provide the Sun Guard with an exotic counter to conventionally shielded targets.
And yet while the VW-02 was patently effective in its role as a heavy squad support weapon, its effectiveness was limited to certain optimal scenarios, and there was a keen desire expressed throughout the Hierarchy to develop more weapons based on this adapted Solar Ionization technology. After many months of labor seeking to crack the code which would enable them to make their work even more compact, Guild Artificers finally produced the VW-03 "Apollo".
Designed as a downscaled variant of the Solar Ionization cannon, the VW-02 was a sustained, coherent particle beam. Devising a module which allowed the beam to be sustained over time, this allowed it to ramp up to the lethal levels of the original. Try as they might, the Guild was unable to make this concept function in something as small as a sidearm, and if it had not been for the unstable globule's area effect while striking a target in this incoherent state the Solar Ionization Pistol would be nothing more than a supercharged blaster, which was not the intent behind creating such a devastating hand cannon.
Due to the power required to superheat plasma into such a deadly spear of solar energy; the effective battlefield range of a starship or vehicle mounted cannon was significantly reduced to be on par with that of an DL-44. While it was still able to operate with the standard power cell or plasma cartridge, the VW-03 would greedily suck the energy pack dry and demand more in short order like its big cousin. Making it more cost-effective, as well as, being of use on the battlefield to be hooked up to a generator equipped with the solar conversion module. This would permit the creation of an additional sixty or so beams before necessitating recharge.
With the automated safety protocols integrated into the weapon, the "Apollo" wouldn’t be able to sustain semi-automatic fire for any longer than ten seconds, as to go past that threshold would overheat the entire apparatus and lead towards a serious malfunction. Due to the nature of the weapon, the more consecutive blasts struck its target, the more damage it would inflict as it would superheat the targeted surface, leaving nothing but molten slag in its wake. Although there is the function to disable the safety precautions, it is highly advised that an operator does not follow through with such an action, as that would be putting their lives at serious risk for marginal, if not minimal gain. Should the heating coils be overwhelmed in the attempt to keep the sustained beam firing, there is an increased potential of the weapon’s lethality being turned against the Operator, spontaneously combusting the entire apparatus and burning them to death in a manner of seconds.
While this weapon's splash effect made it extremely effective at clearing out tightly packed areas, it was also indiscriminatory. There is no way to simply 'turn off' what was essentially an accidental byproduct of its development. It was highly recommended that the weapon's Operator be judicious in where it should be fired, so that the arcing flames would not haphazardly strike an object that wasn’t intended to be burned under the fury of the Sun’s gaze.
Despite these dangers, the VW-03 "Apollo" seeks to be another capable, and deadly addition to the Golden Company’s arsenal.
Edited by Corso, 11 June 2018 - 11:57 AM.