OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To give NFU's crude "mental abilities" similar to a force sensitive through the use of canon technology and a little rejiggering.
- Image Source: N/a
- Canon Link: N/a
- Primary Source:
- Manufacturer: Relentless Akovin Workshop
- Affiliation: Closed-Market (Any character can use this if they have explicit permission through, for example, a marketplace purchase)
- Model: RAW (Relentless Akovin Workshop) Neural Shuffler
- Modularity: Can be used as either a cybernetic implant, or as a firearm no bigger than a rifle
Production: Semi-Unique (Maximum of 10 characters)
- Material: Electronic Components
- Classification: Neural Weapon
- Size: Very Small (Cybernetic Implant), Small (Pistol), Average (Rifle)
- Weight: Very Light (Cybernetic Implant), Light (Pistol), Average (Rifle)
- Ammunition Type: Bio-charged Power Cell (Cybernetic Implant), Power Cell (Firearm)
- Ammunition Capacity: Only one Power Cell (Cybernetic Implant), Five Power Cells (Pistol), Ten Power Cells (Rifle)
Reload Speed: Very Slow (Cybernetic Implant) Average (Firearm)
- Effective Range: Point Blank (Cybernetic Implant), Personal (Pistol), Average (Rifle)
- Rate of Fire: Very Low (All variants), each power cell discharges over a maximum of a 2 minute period, though it can be cut off early (this would still expend the power cell however), additionally requires continuous training of the weapon on the target or the area of effect will be significantly reduced, meaning it is most beneficial to expend each power cell to its maximum until the desired effect is achieved or fizzled.
- Stopping Power: Highly variable, as its effects depend on the will of the user and how quickly the A.I. can find the neural weak-point that will allow for the desired effect to occur.
- Recoil: None
- Capable of altering the neural responses of living beings in a directed format in such a manner as to replicate mental abilities of the force via technology (i.e. mind trick, stun, memory wipe, etc.)
- Utilizes a specialized A.I. to direct the neural interference frequencies into the correct specific pattern needed to cause the neural response desired. This allows the weapon to learn over time what input is required to achieve the desired output depending on species and the will of an individual.
- Can be modified to be used at range through the use of a firearm format, or can be made more subtle through the use of a cybernetic implant
- Mind Alteration - The Neural Shuffler is capable of altering the mind in a variety of different ways, from forcing suggestions, prying out the truth, deleting memories, stunning, causing unconsciousness, causing hallucinations (uncontrolled), etc..
- A.I. Learning - Once the Neural Shuffler has learned the specific variables needed to achieve a desired effect in a species or individual, it will become much easier and faster to make such neurological changes. The learning process though, takes a significant amount of data, and trial and error before achieving success, for very specific tasks. Simpler and more brutish tactics, such as stunning or causing unconscious however, happen much quicker than more specific tasks, and require much less data to produce results.
- Variable Format - Depending on the need of the user, this weapon can be outfitted as a point blank Cybernetic weapon, or it can be outfitted into a firearm (such as a pistol or rifle) which can give the user some measure of extended optimal range. The firearm format however, is far from subtle and less versatile than its cybernetic variant.
- Potentially Fatal - With the very specific purpose of the Neural Shuffler likely intending for a non-lethal approach to an issue or problem individual (given that it effects the mind in a variety of non-lethal ways), one may find it problematic when a neural response to the Shuffler results in brain death, given the random approach to learning the A.I. takes to achieve its responses. Then again, that may very well be the intended purpose.
- Trial and Error - Due to the nature of its A.I. learning, and given its flexible target purpose, at many times the use of the shuffler will arrive at undesirable or unintended effects... or no effects at all if the A.I. can not find a neural opening for the desired effect. Although it will learn from its mistakes and log everything that worked and did not work, it will make many mistakes until it has enough data from previous experiences to correct them.
- Temporary - All effects, except ones which alter memory (the most difficult and specific function to learn) or can't be taken back (prying out the truth), are temporary. Forced suggestions, stuns, unconsciousness, and hallucinations will dissipate with time, sometimes much sooner than desired (particularly forced suggestions, these can be broken out of fairly easily for one doing something out of character for them), requiring reapplication.
- Noticeable "Buzz" - Whenever the weapon is trained on an individual, more often than not they will be aware of it from a mental "buzz" inside their head. Particularly those with strong wills may notice the interference in their mind and resist it, with the caveat they will be significantly distracted by it if attempting to engage in anything else, but not enough to actually stun them until the desired effect is achieved or resisted outright. In other words, it isn't a stealthy weapon, and the individual will notice if their willpower and self-awareness is high.
- Energy Shields - The Neural Shuffler simply cannot penetrate past an energy shield, or anything with electromagnetic shielding.
Fascinated by the force, even as she doesn't understand it, Triam Akovin has always done her absolute best to simultaneously replicate the force and counteract its power through technology. In this instance, Triam has once again found a handy tool to do both, to some extent. Although typically used for droids, Triam got her hands on the schematics to some Neural Pacifiers, and Scramblers, and immediately she had an idea. She wanted to utilize this technology, and fine tune it to generate a versatile mind altering tool that could affect nearly all individuals of any species...
... that was a much harder task she wasn't up to the challenge for.
She was however, an expert craftswoman, engineer, and droid builder. Since these weapons were usually used by droids anyway, she began to build an advanced droid mind, an artificial intelligence, specifically tailored to the task of modifying the parameters of a Neural Scrambler. The intelligence would modify the electromagnetic frequencies in a manner that would "brute force" neurological responses until the desired one was enacted, by trying all possible variations and learning from the results.
It was not a subtle weapon by any means, but possessed amazing potential and versatility once it was able to fine-tune itself in the future.
Let's just hope this A.I. never escapes from its weapon format and try to enslave the galaxy with mind control rays... o_o
OOC: This weapon has all the normal caveats of mind altering Force Powers, in that it is dependent on the target to decided how they are effected by it. A PC cannot be killed or made to do things beyond their control without their explicit permission.
Edited by Triam Akovin, 19 June 2018 - 07:58 AM.