Private Military Contractors testing prototype examples of the ALTUS Powered Assault Armour/ALPHA
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: Submitting Samaria Heavy Engineering’s newest model of Power Armour for placement on their product catalog.
- Image Source: Source
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: AV-1s Scout Armour, Juggernaut 510 Combat Power Armour, Powersuit, Powered Battle Armour, Powered Light Battle Armour, Heavy Exoskeleton, Light Exoskeleton, Thermal Gel, PowerGlove.
- Cost: ~25,000 Credits
- Black Market Value: ~40,000 Credits
- Manufacturer: Samaria Heavy Engineering
- Designer: Anarielle Giala Mero
- Model:X-Series Model 853 "ALTUS" Powered Assault Armour/ALPHA
- Affiliation: Anarielle Giala Mero, Samaria Heavy Engineering, Closed-Market
- Modularity: Yes (End-user software programming, Webbing, Passive Camouflage Paint, Supplementary armour)
- Production: Minor
- Material: Durasteel, Duravlex, Liquid Crystal, Reinforced Duraplast, Thermal Gel, TYI flex-armor.
Classification: Powered Armour
Height: +8.7cm (~4.0") Wearer's Height
Weight: 210 Kilograms/ 462 .lbs (Extreme)
Kinetic (Ballistic/Kinetic Weapons): Very High
Blasters (Directed Energy/Plasma Weapons): Average
Lightsabers (Plasma Blades): Average
- Biometric Security System
- Closed Circuit Rebreather
- Cooling System (Air Conditioned)
- 250Ghz Comlink (Microwave Broadband, 220-450km range)
- Computer System
- Data Port
- Environmental Control System
- Global-Positioning System (W/Blue Force Tracking)
- Ion Maneuvering Thrusters (Rear Cuirass Mount)
- Helmet-Mounted 4000 lumen adjustable output Flashlight (Helmet Mounted; Right Side)
- Holographic Heads-Up Display (Programmable, Customisable)
- IFF Transponder (Encrypted; contains basic biographical information about wearer)
- Laser Rangefinder (Helmet Mounted; Left side)
- Life-Support System (90 Minute Oxygen Supply In Vacuum)
- Liquid Induction Port (Helmet-Mounted, rotates into Wearer's mouth)
- Magnetisable Weapon Storage Strips (Upper Thighs, Cuirass Rear)
- Magnetisable Boots
- Macromotion Tracker (HUD Display)
- Multi-Frequency Targeting & Acquisition System
- Nuclear Fusion Reactor
- Power Supply Unit (1,344 hr MTBF)
- 4x Image Magnification
- Self-Destruction Capability
- Servo-Assisted Boot Bracers
- Sonic Dissipators (Helmet-Lining)
- Two Terrabyte Solid State Drive
Prototype ALTUS/ALPHA personalized variant as worn by a Squad Leader (x)
The ALTUS Powered Assault Armour/ALPHA is a Powered Armour system designed and manufactured by Samaria Heavy Engineering with the product incorporating lessons learned after examining several historic and contemporary powered armour. ALTUS was designed as a top-secret project initiated by Anarielle Mero who also personally oversaw its’ development and testing, envisioning the product as being marketable to military and paramilitary organisations with deep pockets who are in need of cutting-edge protection and tactical mobility. Low-rate initial production of the ALTUS officially began in 853 ABY and began rolling off Samaria’s assembly lines shortly thereafter where it was then tested by contracted Mercenaries and Bounty Hunters in a variety of environments with performance considered acceptable by its’ demanding Designer. ALTUS Powered Assault Armour is designed for use by Humanoid species with physiologies that closely match that of Humans, not only does it increase the wearers’ stature by approximate eight centimetres (4.0”) the exoskeleton grants its’ wearer about four-hundred kilograms of lifting power permitting them to wield support weapons which would usually demand a small crew of infantry to effectively displace and operate, performing roles typically reserved for infantry fighting vehicles. Inside the ALTUS “Super” Is the new normal with it supporting running speeds around forty-five kilometres per hour which is considered the upper limit for Human and Near-Human physiology without cybernetics or extensive modification. The Inclusion of an amorphous Thermal-Gel layer permits the powered armour and its’ wearer to shrug off ballistic and hydrostatic force leveraged upon it either from falling or receiving ballistic impacts from the likes of Slugthrower Rifles significantly improving combat effectiveness as it results in the wearer not staggering and taking their target out of sights which in the opinion of its’ testers provides any such individual equipped with the ALTUS in close-quarters combat a distinct advantage. At long-range however they are easy to identify and would reportedly make attractive targets considering the systems’ vulnerability to plasma weapons which unfortunately are all too common, the ALTUS makes those issued with it tough though not invincible.
The cornerstone of the ALTUS' mobility is a mechanical exoskeleton integrated into the armour's system, this exoskeleton connects to the TYI-Flex Armour bodysuit the latter of which translates the user's movements into functional locomotion. Power for the Exoskeleton is provided by a miniaturized nuclear fusion reactor buried in an armoured housing in cuirass' backplate, power management is handled by a military-grade power supply unit which has a mean time before failure of approximately 1,344 hours which also means that any customers who make an order for the Powered Armour will require constant support which provides another source of revenue for Samaria Heavy Engineering in continued maintenance. The Power Supply Unit and the miniature Reactor's housing has been hardened against short-burst electromagnetic pulses released from dedicated Ion explosives and nuclear weapon detonations. However, the ALTUS is highly vulnerable to the effects of Ion Blasters which impart sufficient ionic disruption onto the armour's circuits to disrupt power currents or trigger the circuit-breakers and temporarily shut-down the armour's power supply unit dropping the system's weight onto the wearer. Inspired in part by Mandalorian Culture the armour has a powerful Ion thruster constructed into the back of powerpack which provides the wearer manoeuvring capability in a vacuum and even brief bouts of flight in an atmospheric setting with it possibly being capable of used as an alternative to a parachute in high or low-altitude jumps, where the reverse-thrust it generates being sufficient enough for safe landing without needing to lock the Thermal Gel-Layer permitting the wearer to immediately engagement in combat and performing manoeuvres that would otherwise be impossible.
ALTUS Powered Assault Armour has a protective system divided into two tiers; the second and outermost being the extremely hard rolled homogenous Durasteel plating and the TYI Flex-Armour Bodysuit beneath it. The Durasteel Armour incorporated into the ALTUS Powered Assault Armour is of high-quality and reinforced with reinforced Duraplast castings at key stress areas with the thoracic region in front of the vital organs having an extremely thick plate obstructing any incoming projectiles. Sadly, unlike many of Anarielle Mero's other powered assault armour designs the system lacks a deflector shield generator and because Durasteel is inferior to Titanium the ALTUS had a massively increased vulnerability to directed energy weapon attacks in an attempt to compensate for the intense heat they generate the armour plates are treated with a Duravlex polymer coating which makes it immune to ignition but also ablates the thermal energy generated by directed energy weapons resulting in reduced penetrative power and hopefully permitting the wearer to seek cover.
The Durasteel plating with the Duravlex polymer layer can withstand at most two direct impacts before the armour's protective qualities are compromised which mandates use of traditional tactics when confronted with contemporary Infantry employed by most galactic military and paramilitary organisations. It's when the armour is confronted with weaponry that rely on projectiles with kinetic energy behind them that it truly shines through. Most ballistic projectiles such as those fired from Slugthrowers and in some cases Shatter Guns shouldn't penetrate the armour with exception to weapons of extreme lethality such as anti-material calibre ammunition fired from high velocity rifles. Samaria Heavy Engineering's Chairman Anarielle Mero was certain to increase the armour coverage on the ALTUS' design to minimize presenting the underlying bodysuit as a target for stray shots or explosive shrapnel which has been a flaw of previous designs. Because Durasteel is widely testified as being a weaker metal than Titanium though easier to work and therefore cheaper to manufacture products, it's also correspondingly more vulnerable to strikes from melee weapons that generate intense temperatures such as the blades of Electro-Plasma weapons, Lightsabers and Plasma torches capable of surviving only the most scant near-misses though for the most part their blades under testing conditions have no problem slicing straight through the armour on direct contact.
More uncommon directed energy weapon threats have increased penetrating power against the armour with particle beams and solar ionisation weapons being capable of reliably over-penetrating the system on a rifle scale as tested. Charrics or Maser type weapons rapidly melt their way through the Duravlex polymer layer and underlying Durasteel in anything more than brief incidental contact with the possibility of also inflicting ballistic injuries on the wearer given that they also convey significant kinetic energy. Disruptor-based weapons which have long been considered outlawed by most civilised worlds are extremely effective against the armour despite its’ impressive thickness and coverage with even modest pistol-sized weapons capable of punching straight through the Durasteel Plate and striking the wearer with the potential to inflict grievous injuries. Casualty-treatment and the administration of stims for individuals wearing heavy armour can be difficult though the ALTUS has a variety of features to make treatment effective and provide access to the wearer without having to remove the armour system completely or unnecessarily damage the bodysuit or any hard-armour. There is a cannula that connects to the subjects’ antebrachial vein on the ventral surface of both forearms which connects to a Vacuum-sealed induction port on the bodysuit with a small and discrete opening on the armour plating to present access for an injector. Intramuscular injections are made through a port that sits adjacent to the operators’ bicep on both arms. Providing defibrillation to the Operators with their armour equipped in traditional methods is usually impossible as the time it takes to remove the armour makes it impractical to remove quickly, the remedy for this all too common issue is the inclusion of an automated defibrillator built into the bodysuit’s thoracic region and connects to the user through two diode adhesive pads connected to the wearer’s skin. These same contacts monitor the users’ cardiac activity and the onboard computer uses data collected about the wearer’s physiology such as eye behaviour and blood pressure to determine whether or not defibrillation is appropriate or not.
Operator comfort is of high priority for Samaria Heavy Engineering who realise the user is going to be entombed within the armour more than likely for long periods of time, much like a tank crewman within their vehicle which has resulted in several features focused on increasing the comfort and therefore efficiency. The Environmental Control Systems are regarded as high quality and is dynamically shifted by the onboard computer without the necessity of user input adjusting the air-conditioning system to provide peak muscular performance and comfort, with it cooling appropriately when the user’s surface body temperature increases under exertion. One of the more expensive comfort features incorporated into the ALTUS is a fully-functioning waste recycling system, which while uncomfortable for some users is essential for long operations. Waste recycling is facilitated through the connection of the subjects’ urethra to a cannula which retains urine and pumps it into the onboard purification system which then deposits the drinkable water into a 1.5L drinking reservoir connecting to a rotating straw inside the helmet through a series of capillaries running along the bodysuit. There exists a small square shaped rail-retained panel concealing a port roughly where the ‘mouth’ would be, removing this small panel reveals a vacuum sealed induction port for the wearer to consume liquids and liquified foodstuffs from outside the suit without breaking the suit’s hermetic seal in a contaminated environment.
The ALTUS is tested and rated for operations in environments contamined with biological, chemical, radiological and nuclear threats. The use of thick Durasteel armour plating combined with Duraplast reinforcement at key stress areas reduces the power of ionizing radiation on benchmark testing by an average 30% significantly prolonging the length of time wearers can remain in a significantly radioactively contaminated area. ALTUS’ endurance is augmented by a built-in life support system and a closed-circuit rebreather, this reduces the risk of the integrated respirator being clogged with debris as gas intake is only necessary after operation in a vacuum. Closed-Circuit rebreathing technology significantly increases operator endurance by recycling the wearer’s lung expiration into breathable atmosphere through the onboard life-support system. This additionally increases stealth when submerged as there is a notable lack of tell-tale bubbles with no gas released into the surrounding environment or atmosphere, operation in vacuum environments as a result of the closed-circuit rebreather and life-support system in theory is indefinite though practically because of the volume of gas consumed and expelled by the wearers is sufficient for about ninety minutes of activity.
Conspicuously the ALTUS Powered Assault Armour completely lacks a traditional visor eliminating what is widely regarded as a large structural weakness in helmet construction instead replacing it with a series of multi-channel cameras that cannot to a liquid crystal display in the shape of a visor which uses the information passed on by the Cameras to create an extremely high resolution image for the wearer providing excellent situational awareness. The Cameras additionally have the ability to magnify the image at the trade-off of steady reduction in quality which means that Designated Marksmen and Snipers must either utilize smart-link capable optics as seen on most modern weapons or even remove their helmets to comfortably make a cheek-weld with their weapon. The Cameras are rated for low-light environments and are fully compatible with the onboard multi-frequency targeting and acquisition system which permits the ALTUS' wearer to effectively engage targets all-day through any weather conditions. The heads-up display projection is made by tiny outward facing diodes controlled by the 'smart' computer displaying pertinent information such as their weapons' tooltip and current battery charge and gas canister capacity or magazine capacity in the case of Slugthrower weapons within the top-right quadrant with grenade type and count residing in top-left quadrant, magnetic compass bearing is provided centered and at the very top of helmet display with motion-monitor located in the bottom right-hand corner. The system's reticule uses sensors to track the current weapons' line of fire dramatically increasing the wearer's fire precision, tracking any input recoil into the suit and potential impact this might have on grouping.
- Ballistic Protection Level: Attacks that rely on kinetic energy typically have lacklustre penetrating qualities when thrown against the ALTUS and this includes the devastating Verpine-designed shatter guns commonly used by Elite mercenaries and commando formations. Shrapnel from explosives exhibit poor performance at penetrating any of the rolled homogenous Durasteel plates, although the same cannot strictly be said for the bodysuit.
- EMP Hardened: While vulnerable to the likes of Ionic Blasters the ALTUS gives limited protection to short-wavelength high energy electromagnetic pulses released from the likes of Nuclear detonations and special EMP grenades. Additionally, the system is grounded in an attempt to prevent the wearer’s electrocution and the short-circuiting of sensitive electronics and power supply unit components.
- Exoskeleton: The ALTUS Powered Assault Armour provides its’ wearer with some extra four-hundred kilograms of lifting power, permitting them to manipulate and employ support equipment, industrial equipment and support weapons with ease. Each suit also permits the Humanoid occupant to run at top speeds of around forty-five kilometres per hour, considering these qualities ALTUS Powered Assault Armour suits are therefore ideal for issue to mechanized infantry and combat engineer units.
- Ion Jumpjet: Designed with tactical flexibility the ALTUS possesses an Ion Jump-jet which produces sufficient thrust to propel the wearer to a maximum height of around seventy-five meters. However, using the jumpjet produces a characteristic loud roar not dissimilar from a TIE Fighter.
- Self-Destruction Capability: To ensure that unauthorised personnel cannot easily access the Powered Armour or technology equipped within Samaria Heavy Engineering's propriety operating software possesses drivers to permit the wearer upon use of a password to initiate either a timed or immediate self-destruction feature that destabilizes the Nuclear Fusion process within the onboard reactor and incinerates virtually all but the most hardy objects within a 30-50 meter radius.
- Thermal-Gel Layer: Equipped with a hydrostatic and kinetic energy absorbing thermal gel layer within the systems’ proprietary bodysuit the ALTUS provides excellent protection to its’ wearer from the secondary effects seen on traditional body armour when struck with high velocity ballistic ammunition. The Thermal-Gel Layer absorbs and disperses kinetic energy from incoming projectiles and falling damage, permitting the wearer to survive falls without injury that would usually cripple them and should keep their targets sighted without flinching from relentless ballistic attacks.
- Directed Energy Weapons: The ALTUS offers acceptable protection against traditional blaster weapons, however more specialised types of directed energy weapons meet little resistance to penetration under testing conditions. Particle Beam-based weapons whether pistol or rifle more often than not punch clean through the armour with potentially grisly consequences for the wearer. Masers additionally melt through the Durasteel plate which is unable to survive sustained contact with such weapons, their duravlex protective area rapidly vaporising on contact.
- Disruptors: Despite the thickness of its’ Durasteel and Duraplast armour plates ALTUS is regarded as completely incapable of preventing penetration by Disruptor-based weapons. Disruptor pistols and rifles exhibit the same behaviour when attacking the ATLUS; often passing through both sides of the system with high risk of life-threatening injuries being inflicted upon the wearer in the absence of disintegration, the risk of which is atleast reduced compared to traditional armour.
- Force Lightning: Interestingly despite the systems’ grounded construction which usually prevents electrocution the force-conjured lightning utilised by force wielders is an exception to the rule and is capable of both electrocuting the ALTUS’ wearer and potentially shutting down the power supply unit as its’ built-in protective measure to prevent damage.
- Ion-Type Weapons: ALTUS Powered Assault Armour is highly vulnerable to being disabled after receiving impacts from Ion Pistols and Blasters. The Former typically disabled certain functionality such as the Helmet Mounted Display or Camera lenses which would ‘blind’ the wearer temporarily whilst heavy ion rifles are capable of short-circuiting the power supply unit and therefore disable the exoskeleton; dropping the armour’s weight onto the wearer typically disabling or severely hindering mobility amounting to a “Mobility Kill”.
- Negative Buoyancy: Even though the ALTUS possesses a hermetic self-contained atmosphere this is negated in a submerged environment slightly by the fact that like most armour systems ALTUS is negatively buoyant, sinking in most liquids without any submerged propulsion equipped. This makes operating submerged extremely hazardous as the wearer should fall until landing on local seafloor or some other terrain feature.
- Mechanical Stress Limit: Rated to support four-hundred kilogram lifts and withstand 876 pounds per square inch/61 Kgcm^2 the ALTUS is capable of surviving high levels of pressure loading and mechanical stress. However, if the pressure rating of 876 psi is exceeded the ALTUS is in danger of imploding and crushing the wearer. Exceeding the mechanical lifting power risks the Thermal Gel-Layer transferring the four-hundred kilograms plus the excess load onto the Wearer’s body homogenously with the potential of shattering the bones of most humanoids and causing mortal injuries.
- Minor Production: Like most Powered Armour designed by Samaria Heavy Engineering the armour is labour-intensive and costly to construct and retail, with each suit requiring approximately two-thousand five hundred hours to produce and assemble. It thus can be issued and purchased on a scale comparable to an Infantry or Cavalry Fighting Vehicle, leaving it possible to distribute the suits piecemeal in a large organisation or concentrate them in smaller hard-hitting units. On average they can be produced in numbers to equip anywhere between 4.4-15% of a “Division” of 20,000 soldiers for example, sufficient to fully equip a couple infantry battalions to a full brigade.
- Plasma Blades: The Intense heat generated by Plasma Torches, Lightsabers and most Electro-Plasma weapons is too much for the Duravlex layer to handle beyond superficial, brief contact. These weapons usually burn through the Durasteel armour plates with virtually no resistance and thus are very effective.
- Power Supply Unit: Contained within a large backpack-like mounting is the miniaturised nuclear fusion reactor and power supply unit, these two components are integral to the Powered Armour’s mobility and function. Given the Armour’s disappointing resistance to directed energy weapons, ALTUS Powered Armour is vulnerable to being disabled by shots landing into the power pack taking it and the wearer out of the fight without having to totally destroy either.
- Telekinesis: Despite its’ weight force users should not have difficulty restraining the wearers due to their outward diminutive size. Permitting adept force wielders skilled in the use of Telekinesis to employ push, pull and restrain techniques on ALTUS systems with varying effectiveness at inhibiting or disrupting the wearer.
- Sonic Weapons: Sonic Overpressure waves created by the titular weapons propagate easily through the ALTUS’ armour plating and bodysuit resulting in them having higher than average effectiveness against the armour system, capable of inflicting crippling or grievous injuries onto the wearer and bypassing much of its’ protective qualities.
Edited by Anari Mero, 19 June 2018 - 05:12 PM.