- Intent: Create a major shield generator for use in planetary protection
- Image Source: Sci-fi Generator by Chief001
- Canon Link: None
- Primary Source: None
- Manufacturer: Kuat Systems Engineering
- Affiliation: Ferron Troste, Lady Kay
- Model: CS-01
- Modularity: No
- Production: Semi-Unique (4; 2 - Ferron Troste , 2 - Lady Kay )
- Material: Reinforced Duramentium Frame, Durasteel Outer Layer, Shield Components
- Strength - This Shield causes Very High or Extreme Defense levels, depending on its power source
- Pure Projection - The shields stability stays strong without weak points along the entirety of its protection field
- Power Cost - This shield can not be used on Starships or Vehicles. Ground Emplacements can offer Extreme Defense, while Space Stations can only offer Very High.
- Weight - The shield is the size and weight of an average Shuttle.
- Limited Duration - The shield should never be turned on for no reason, and should be off at all times unless it is critically needed. The longer it runs, the more chance the shield may burn out, melt down, or have a power failure.
The Major Deflector was essentially Kuat Drive Yards idea of their own Endor Shield Generator. However, the idea did not come about until such a powerful shield was requested by Queen Kay of the Commenor Systems Alliance. They needed a Planetary Shield, and Ferron gained the idea of a massive shield protecting his new Orbital Array. He handed the idea over to his engineers, and with what they had on hand, this is what they constructed.
The problem with the Shield is that, while its strength is outrageously boosted by the Isotope-5, it requires a dedicated power source. While the Isotope-5 is dedicated to shield strength, the rest of the shield, such as its mechanisms, start sequences, and other necessities, require a minimum amount of power to even activate the shield. Similar to a shield charging, it needs enough power to turn on. However, when it is fully activated, charge times are drastically reduced. Although, there proves to be further problems with this design. Although it is incredibly powerful and reduces shield charge up time, it's almost required to leave it off until it is needed. Because of the Thermal Shields, nothing can pass through it. This means ships can't land, unload cargo, pick up, transport, nothing. It cuts off all access to the outside. If the Shield is left on too long, it may burn out its mechanisms, or the dedicated power supply, depending on how reliable it is, may short circuit or a power failure. The shield has a minimum spin up time of half an hour, and a recommended use duration of six hours. The Generator itself could also have been constructed better, but if left on too long, it could have a melt down from over heating.
Edited by Kuat Drive Yards, 21 June 2018 - 11:49 AM.