An Utai Odojinya Cannon dismounted for maintenance
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To provide an alchemized repeater electromagnetic plasma cannon
- Image Source: NavWeaps
- Canon Link: N/A
- Primary Source: Anoat electromagnetic plasma cannon (base gun)
- Manufacturer: Ringovinda Systems (base gun) Utai Magic Circle (alchemical enhancements)
- Model: Utai Odojinya electromagnetic plasma cannon
- Affiliation: Closed-Market
- Modularity: Yes
- Production: Semi-Unique
- Material: Alchemized standard blaster components, standard power generator components
- Classification: Starfighter repeater electromagnetic plasma cannon
- Size: Large
- Weight: Heavy (without power plant) Very heavy (with a power plant)
- Ammunition Type: Reactor-powered
- Ammunition Capacity: Effectively Unlimited
- Reload Speed: None
- Effective Range: Average
- Rate of Fire: High (3 rounds/second cyclic)
- Stopping Power: High
- Recoil: None
- Targeting computer
- Advanced cooling system
- Power generator
- Lightsaber resistant
As with the base gun, the Utai Odojinya Cannon was designed for rapid rates of fire; in fact, it shares many of the strengths and weaknesses of the base gun, with the very nature of EM plasma making it very easy to detect on thermal or EM sensors. As for the explosive firepower, the explosion of a shot fired by the Utai Odojinya Cannon has a blast radius of about 2 meters; if a lightsaber-wielder attempts to block a shot, the contact of the round against the lightsaber would cause an explosion that would release the plasma contained inside the lightsaber back onto the wielder. Which, given the nature of electromagnetic plasma weapons, would likely result in the vaporization of the areas hit by the plasma explosion, potentially reducing the targets into molten slag or possibly causing severe burns. Heavily armored targets would get holes punched into the armor, creating weak spots through which a second shot may be fired and penetrate the same spot. The Utai Odojinya Cannon can be set to fire in bursts of either 1, 2 or 3 seconds each, firing three shots per second while the weapon is being fired, and also requiring to cool down for 1, 2 or 3 seconds respectively after being fired.
What makes the Utai Odojinya Cannon different from the base cannon, beyond the lightsaber resistance, is its alchemy-granted ability to cast Odojinya upon firing, within a 5m radius of the weapon's impact point, regardless of whether the person manning the weapon could actually cast odojinya otherwise. It comes with a drawback: the person manning the weapon must be a dark-sider to make use of the cannon's alchemical ability, and even then the dark side net is indiscriminate and the incantation must be sung within five seconds of firing the gun. Finally, the more people are caught in the dark side web, the shorter the web lasts before fading.
- For point-defense use, it is worth 2 point-defense emplacements
- For starfighter use, it is worth 2 starfighter laser cannons
- Great penetration power (can penetrate up to 350mm of reinforced duracrete, or equivalent, while more heavily armored vehicles would have a dent into their armor)
- Explosive firepower
- Cannot be redirected by lightsabers
- Lightsaber resistant
- Very Rapid Fire: the Utai Odojinya Cannon can manage a very high rate of fire in short bursts (usually 1-3 seconds).
- Versatile roles: The Utai Odojinya Cannon can be found mounted on vehicles, used as a fire support weapon, or built into defensive emplacements.
- Odojinya: can ensnare the target's occupants in a dark side web if the proper incantation is sung beforehand, typically within a 5m radius of the impact point, for 1-3 posts depending on how many people are caught in the web; the more people caught in the web, the shorter it lasts
- Power Supply: When not mounted on vehicles or in an emplacement the Utai Odojinya Cannon requires a large external power supply to operate effectively. This is both heavy and unwieldy.
- Very easy to detect using thermal and EM sensors
- The mount is vulnerable when it isn't firing: a swift enemy can fire at the gun and take it out between bursts
- Fire-support versions must have a drivetrain to move it around as a result of the requirements of the power supply
- Incantation timing: proper timing is necessary for the recitation of the Odojinya incantation. The incantation must be sung in full before opening fire, and must be sung within five seconds of the cannon firing for it to work
- Dark-sider: The incantation works only with a dark-sider at the gun's controls
- Odojinya: The incantation is indiscriminate; it will catch allies and enemies alike
- Force-nullifiers: The presence of Force-nullifiers can render the suit of armor nothing more than an ordinary EM plasma cannon.
- Presence: Force-imbuement presence means that unless you somehow hide it, Force-users can detect the mount vehicle or the cannon.