OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Image Credit: Screenshots from game Battlestar Galactica Deadlock
Intent: To make the first ship fielded by the Colonial Fleet.
Canon Link: N/A
Primary Source: N/A
Manufacturer: Thirteen Colonies of Lakonia
Model: Manticore-class Fast Attack Corvette
Affiliation: The Rebellion | Mara-Perlemian Trade Council | Thirteen Colonies of Lakonia
Material: Durasteel Hull, Alusteel and Trimantium Layered Composite Armor Plating, Glassteel and Transparisteel where appropriate.
Classification: KA - Fast Attack Corvette
Role: Flanker/Anti-Ship Vessel
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Lakon TI-770 Solar Ionization Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: 2.0, 10.0 backup
Minimum Crew: 12
Optimal Crew: 53
Passenger Capacity: Fairly spartan accommodations for around 20 passengers.
Consumables: Approximately 1 year
Sublight Speed: Moderate
Armament Rating: High
1 x Class 2 Lakon Kinetic Gun (Mounted under nose)
2 x Class 2 LKG (one port one stbd ventral/midships)
2 x Class 1 LKG (Mounted ventral/aft)
2 x Class 1 LKG (Mounted dorsal/aft)
12 x Mk 14 Lakon Heavy Missile Launchers (six modules on each side)
4 x Mk 4B Schiltrom CIWS Cannons (Point Defense Guns)
Defense Rating: Low
A few launches and utility shuttles.
Combat-Rated Ray Shielding
Combat-Rated Particle Shielding
- Advanced Sensor Suite (HSI/DER/EPR/AS/LFI)
Advanced Encrypted Communications and C4I Suite
Standard Navigation Systems
LKi-3 Advanced Fire Control System
Ionic Shielding Package
Standard Electronics Warfare/Countermeasure Package
- Missile Corvette: As an attack ship, the Manticore's main strength is its missile batteries. A salvo of 12 Heavy Missiles can cripple much larger warships, if all the missiles hit.
- Limited Reloads: Being small vessels, Manticore's have only a limited supply of the large Heavy Missiles they fire. A full loadout is 96 missiles, including one in each launcher, which is 8 full salvo's.
- Weak Point Defense: The Manticore's sport only four dedicated CIWS turrets, and those are more effective against inbound munitions than strike craft. Even with the defense-oriented munition types on the LKG mounts, the Manticore's are generally in a weak position when facing squadrons of fighters.
- Hardpoints: Compounding the problem of limited point defense is that the Manticore features only a few turrets, making it even more vulnerable to the high-precision strike capability of fighters and bombers than it would initially appear. These are absolutely a class of ship used to operating with fighter support.
The Manticore-class Fast Attack Corvette is a fairly common sight along spacelanes near Lakonia. A capable escort vessel, they have a purely anti-ship armament built around a 12 missile tubes, with a handful of gun mounts to back that up. Typically, the ships are deployed in pairs, or in large 'wolfpacks' as part of a battlegroup, and engage in hit and run attacks or lurk the flanks of formations, preying on damaged and vulnerable enemy warships. Manticore captains are expected to be aggressive and confident, but also well aware of the limitations of their vessel.
Originally envisioned to be used only in larger fleet engagements during the Tyrantine Wars, the Manticore is a venerable design (albeit one constantly upgraded with new technology) that lacks some features common to larger warships. The corvette makes little allowance for defense against strike craft, typically relying on its speed to strike a target and then withdraw before it can be overwhelmed by fighters.
It is also not a ship designed to engage in a long pitched battle, or at least no without resupply. The missile magazines can hold only 96 missiles total, including one in each tube. The generic loadout is 60 46C Lancers, 20 57F Hornets, 12 9B PCM, and 4 84A Wavers. Manticores almost never carry the Genie Nuke, though there are exceptions. Theoretically, a Manticore could even run into problems with having enough shots for its guns, though that would only come up in very long battles.
The limited endurance makes the Manticores something of a poor choice in any extended deployment, hence the ubiquity of the ship in close patrols and escort duties in and around the home system. Commanders planning for any major campaign have to balance the heavy strike capability of these corvettes with the resources needed to sustain and constantly reload them.
Per the terms of the latest trade and defense agreements between the Thirteen Colonies and the Mara-Perlemian Trade Council, some of these ships have begun to conduct extended patrols in MPTC space. They, and the Adamant-class Destroyer are the most common Lakonian vessels to be encountered outside the trinary system. There are even rumors that some of the ships have gone missing and ended up in Rebellion hands, rumors dismissed by TCAF and Lakonian authorities.
Manticore Corvettes are designated according to a standard system. Because of how widespread the ships are, many do not even get full names. KA (the standard Lakonian hull designator for Attack Corvette) followed by a four digit number. For example KA-1047 and KA-0526.
Edited by Lee Tanos, 13 July 2018 - 10:24 PM.