OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent:To create a heavy-duty beam canon emplacement for capital ships or anti-orbital defense
- Image Source: Iseno Military Technologies' Heavy Beam Cannon, Firing
- Canon Link: Inspired by
- Primary Source: N/A
- Manufacturer: Kuat Systems Engineering
- Affiliation: Commenor Systems Alliance Military/Allies
- Model: N/A
- Modularity: No
- Material: Alusteel, Durasteel, Duraplast, Insulated electrical wiring, radiation shielding
- Classification: Heavy Composite Beam Laser
- Size: Very Large
- Weight: Very Heavy
- Ammunition Type: Reactor Powered
- Ammunition Capacity: Unlimited
Reload Speed: Slow
- Effective Range: Battlefield
- Rate of Fire: Average
- Stopping Power: High
- Recoil: None
- The Heavy Beam Cannon rests upon a 360 degree rotation-capable platform and the canon has a firing angle of 75 degrees.
- Without shields, the reactor only has two primary responsibilities: charging the cannon for firing, and providing power to the canon's hydraulics which facilitate relatively fast tracking and turning.
- The concentrated beam can overwhelm shields and cut smaller warships in half.
- Simple controls
- Targeting assistance program
- Effective range of 100 miles, enough to reach enemy ships in low orbit.
- Does not possess an independent shield generator, they must rely on the shields of their battleship or adjacent portable shields.
- Vulnerable to attacks from straight above where the cannon has a blind spot.
- Has trouble targeting smaller, faster ships inside the Stratosphere.
- Can overheat and melt circuitry and critical components
Designed to provide support to orbital defenses as well as engage enemy ships within the atmosphere, the Heavy Beam Cannon fires a concentrated laser beam for 8 seconds before requiring a 15 second cooldown/recharge. This deluge of power concentrated on a single point can easily overwhelm enemy ship shields and burn holes straight through hulls.
The emplacement stands 34 feet tall. The cannon's base is 20 feet wide. The Cannon's length is 60 feet. This design is yet another example of the Commenor Systems Alliance's focus on defensive weaponry. The design allows it to be fixed upon warships where it can tap into the ship's power and increase its rate of fire. When located on planet surfaces, the cannon relies on its own fusion reactor resting within the base structure. In designing the weapon, Iseno's military engineers took into account the CSA's portable shield generators already in service. They therefore elected to forgo installing a dedicated shield and instead focused reactor power to the weapon's fire rate and its movement speed, allowing it to track a wider range of targets. Iseno military theory, led by Sennion Crestmar, demands that military resources by as utilitarian as possible, therefore the weapon's controls are fairly easy to understand and are supported by computer targeting programs.
Edited by Sennion Crestmar, 14 July 2018 - 03:34 AM.