MBE Superluminal BioDrive
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: An advanced organic FTL system
- Image Source: Link
- Canon Link: None
- Primary Source: Superluminal Transit
- Manufacturer: MandalBioEng
- Affiliation: Mandalorian Empire, Closed-Market
- Model: MBH-1
- Modularity: No
- Production: Mass-Produced
- Material: Dovin Basals, Organic components
- Utilizes the same coordination principles as a villip choir to unite an array of dovin basals to provide fast hyperspace travel
- Able to propel a vessel at extremely fast hyperspace velocity
- Requires nutrition rather than fuel
- Very susceptible to damage and malfunction, any loss of coordination will cause the drive to fail
- Sudden and unexpected reversion to realspace while in operation such as an interdiction field will kill the organic components, destroying the drive
Following the resounding success of their efforts in communication and sensor biotechnology as well as materials science, with the MBE and Spidersilk projects; MandalBioEng lent their talents towards other avenues. Breakthroughs were made in experiments with dovin basals in the areas of coordination and output.
Field tests using arrays of dovin basals for superluminal travel allowed MBE scientists to get a picture of what was possible using the bio-organic approach. The solution was more complex than simply adding more dovin basals, they had to be coordinated precisely, and attempts to marry them with more traditional technology proved troublesome. An organic solution was required, and a fully bio-engineered brain, similar to a small yammosk, was the answer. Coordinated this way by nerves instead of circuits, the organic unit can instinctively feel any imperfections in the harmony of the dovin basal 'choir', and correct instantly, allowing the array to function acceptably.
Taking up much the same amount of mass and space as a traditional technical hyperdrive, the advances in speed are where the MBH excels. The unit was given a Hyperdrive Classification of 0.25, faster than anything currently available in the Mandalorian Empire.