• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 2,515 posts

Alright, another Legends vs Canon thread for everyone to posture about in. Take yourselves back to before TFA and TLJ, and you get the chance to pen/screenplay the Sequel Trilogy.

Do you take a path similar to Disney and try to reinvent the franchise?

Do you verbatim take one of the Legends stories and adapt it to fit three movies?

Do you have a better idea?

Me personally, the Thrawn trilogy,

Why? I think it's got enough similarities to the original trilogy to appeal to older fans, and enough new characters places things and stories to attract new fans. And a variety of other reasons (casting Bill Nighy as Thrawn), but thats another debate.

Edited by Kaine Australis, 10 October 2018 - 10:02 AM.

'It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill.'

KaineSig.gif

8GgZsVc.gifAKMqA8R.gif128RWQJ.gif

Josh DragonsFlame

Josh DragonsFlame

Master Of The Order

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 6,643 posts

On my initial reaction to the retcon, I'd have said I would have adapted the Legends continuity.

But after a lot of hindsight in regards to the legends continuity, especially events post-ROTJ... There really was no reasonable way to navigate the lore minefield, even if a lot of post-ROTJ hadn't been a massive mess. I do think that some things, mainly the events of KOTOR, could be adapted though.

While I would still have nixed Legends as Disney did, I would have brought back the events of the KOTOR series and adapted them into movies.

5lKtNHR.png1zu1b6.jpgMOTMSJ.png

TUJ8CAb.png

UgCO5NV.png

Jor Kvall

Jor Kvall

Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 248 posts

Interesting question, and I don't know if I can really answer it in terms of exactly what story I would have liked. Though I can tell you general things I would have liked:

- I wouldn't have wanted a simple remake of an EU novel or story. Thus, the EU probably needed to go.

- However, the EU could still be drawn upon as source material. While it doesn't have to be the Yuuzhan Vong themselves, I liked the idea of an outside threat that no one has ever seen before threatening the whole galaxy.

- An opportunity for the three main heroes (Luke, Han, Leia) to appear on screen together, and actually do something.

- A glimpse into what the post-Imperial government looked like, perhaps Luke's struggle to maintain control

- By extension, a glimpse into Luke's new life as a Jedi, with a story that incorporates his trials and tribulations in real time, rather than as mere flashbacks

Altogether, I would have liked a story that was in a similar vein to what Dune Messiah was for the Dune series. The good guys won, they defeated their enemies and achieved power, now they realize that ruling benevolently and peacefully is more difficult than they thought.

mandosig2.gif

deathwatchlongform.png

Jsc

Jsc
  • Writers
  • 7,958 posts

Do you have a better idea?

Plot: - Rey and Chewie meet a mysterious older woman with brilliant red hair. Her claims knowing of a younger Luke Skywalker and the unique appearance of a lightsaber at her belt awaken a strange feeling within Rey. Could her story about Luke, the Emperor's Hands, and the rise of Snoke be true?

9EMTMzr.jpg

Kyrel Ren

Kyrel Ren

The Steward

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 1,284 posts

Jsc

You know... I think that is the best idea there is... :D 

• Jsc likes this

Jsc

Jsc
  • Writers
  • 7,958 posts

Jsc

You know... I think that is the best idea there is... :D

For awhile I hoped Keri Russell would be cast as Mara in Ep 9. and given a new backstory. But? These days I'm more prone to doubt Disney than anybody. Meh. :P