• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 4,146 posts

So, im not quite finished with this tome yet, but i've been enjoying it immensely.

Some of this, in my view, is up there with some of Martin's best writing. I've enjoyed reading about the reigns of the early Targaryen kings and some of the events that get mentioned, but actually seeing them fleshed out in detail is great.

Some of the biggest bombshells have involved some of Septon Barth's writings about dragons and Valyria, and also the tale of the Sunchaser, and how Corlys Velaryon spotted the ship that was last seen sailing west of westeros, in Asshai.

For me, this is the first actual serious hint that the world of Planetos can be circumnavigated. Thoughts?

S7IVynM.gif

'It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but for others, I can kill.'

rdqOfV0.png8xM9kaxH_o.pngbest-mando.gif

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 12,889 posts

It is a good book but it like all of the books is biased and that is the point it is from the point of view of someone who kind of glosses over the flaws and tells history from one perspective. Even the World of Ice and Fire does this. The Sunchaser story though is something.

Though while I like it.. now I want to see part 2 and hopefully the winds of winter will be releasing "soon" he did say it should e done between parts one and two (which could mean anything but can dream)

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 4,146 posts

Matsu Ike I enjoy the style of point of view writing, history is written by the Maesters, after all. It's fun trying to puzzle out the bits they'd rather hide.

S7IVynM.gif

'It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but for others, I can kill.'

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 12,889 posts

Kaine Australis that is what makes it fun and interesting... "magic does not exist or if it did it has died out" suddenly sees a dragon or something. "hmmm." though now want part 2 or another couple anthology books.

Srina Talon

Srina Talon

Dread Queen

• Administrators
    • Character Bio
  • 1,498 posts

Kaine Australis Clearly, I'm biased, but I enjoyed it terribly. It's no Silmarillion if you're familiar with LoTR/Tolkien but it really should be judged on its own merits. I don't want to accidentally spoil too much but if you take a step back it really is a carefully conceived, though exhausting, examination of a fantastical historical world. You can tell just be reading it that George RR Martin really enjoyed playing the narrator and throwing little cookies into it. 

Pro: I enjoyed the subtle irreverent humor. If there wasn't that sort of tone the book would be a total chore to read thoroughly cover to cover. Some of the more crazy character names really keep it fresh too. It's really hard for GoT fans not to find at least a little bit of joy in the dragons, especially from things like airborn combat, etc. The battles are the best. Seeing all of these things that we were basically in the dark about before is amazing. Seeing characters from other houses pop up? Fantastic

Cons: Okay, yes, there are some very interesting/annoying plot holes. I couldn't always tell whether it was on purpose or by accident. If this had been maybe about half the size and covered everything about the Targaryen's I think I would have liked it more. [I STILL like it, but more.] I don't really feel like it properly compliments the rest of the books because it has this tone of someone being forced to study for a really difficult exam. Like an encyclopedia [Ex. The Silmarillion] of sorts. It is funny, but, it can be dry and clinical from time to time. 

Overall, imo it's worth a solid read. Maybe break it up into parts so you aren't feeling your brain turn into porridge but it's got this really rich and dark tone that is very much so enjoyable. Aside from listing names for eons, on occasion, it's an example of proper chronological storytelling. I wish there was more about Addam Velaryon going to the Isle of Faces or about the Children of the Forest, and some of the more mythical elements but he might elaborate on that still. 

Anyone else curious about the Black Stone structures all over? And uh...Aerea? With the fire-bugs under her skin? I had to come back to that. Soooo yucky. But so good. xD 

SrinaTalon.gif

Confed1.gifExarch.gif

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 4,146 posts

Srina Talon Oh yes. Im convinced the black stone stuff is leftover from the Valyria before Valyria, if that makes sense. I get the idea the world of ice and fire is one that repeats over and over, in a sort of hint that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Especially with the amount of knowledge that seems to be lost or forgotten in myth and legend.

Also that bit with Aerea and the bugs was AWESOME. Gross AF, but that was one of the parts where I went from meh to THIS IS GOOD!

S7IVynM.gif

Matsu Ike

Matsu Ike

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 12,889 posts

Kaine Australis well one fo the major themes in the books has always been that history is a wheel and repeats itself sometimes early (there was comparisons to Aegon and his sisters with Jon and his sisters in the show and how they are somewhat similar) or eventually (the long night is coming again).