OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: Sub a Factory 6.0 version of a Canon vessel.
Image Source: [x]
Canon Link: Nebulon-C Escort Frigate
Primary Source: Not Applicable
- HP-S-5 Reinforced Armor
- Alusteel Hull
- Starship Components
Classification: Carrier Frigate
Length: 549.17 Meters
Width: 195.06 Meters
Height: 322.24 Meters
Armament: Very Low
[Average Full Power to Weapons]
- Heavy Turbolasers (10)
- Point-Defense Lasers (6)
- ACS Witch Fire CIWS (6)
- Proton Torpedo Launchers (2)
- Dual Tractor Beam Projectors (2)
[High Full Power to Shields]
- Military Deflector Shields
- ECM Modules
- Squadrons (6)
- Dropships, Light Freighters, Shuttles, and Transports (2)
- Docking Clamps (4)
Minimum Crew: 170
Optimum Crew: 585
Passenger Capacity: 300
Cargo Capacity: 6,000 Metric Tons
Consumables: 3 Years
Maneuverability Rating: Low
Speed Rating: Average
[High Full Power to Engines]
Hyperdrive Class: 1.0
Backup Hyperdrive Class: 8.0
The EF87 Nebulon-E Carrier contains standard features and technology comparable to other cruisers and carriers in the modern era. Its computers, sensors, and other systems are of similar codes and specifications, with comparable analogs of other ships from other galactic governments.
Sometimes they are converted into Medical ships fitted with surgical and medical equipment, self-replenishing Bacta tanks, and staffed with medical personnel.
- Power Converter: The new EF87 Models now include Power Converters and a small reserve Power Generator, which allows them to boost one of their combat systems in battle, or assist with a rapid startup sequence.
- Modular Internal Structure: Given their highly modular nature, they can be internally altered with relative ease making room for more hangar space or additional weaponry, which also makes repair simple.
- Unassigned Energy: In combat, the reserve power must be assigned by the pilot or droid or it is not utilized or directed. This means when ambushed by enemy craft, the vessel is not able to perform at its full potential for a time.
- One System at a Time: The frigate’s power converter can only direct its reserve power to a single combat system at a time, taking several moments to stop the flow of energy to one system, redirect it, and begin the flow of energy to the next system.
- Structural Integrity: The Nebulon series of ships are known for a thin tube connecting the front spire and aft engine block, which is a serious structural weakness. It is much easier to destroy than the rest of the ship as it is a simple tube, and damage to it will separate the engines from the main reactor, effectively rendering the ship immobile and causing immense pressure on the space frame. Knowing this the vessel must rely on its shield system if targeted in that area.
The Nebulon series has a long and noted history throughout the galaxy. The Nebulon-B having started its service as an anti-starfighter escort by the Galactic Empire to reduce the effectiveness of Rebel Starfighter raids on convoys, and later as a support vessel by the Rebellion. Its modular internal configuration has allowed the same hulls to be medical ships, carriers, anti-fighter craft, and cargo vessels for centuries. During the Resistance-First Order conflict, the Nebulon-C entered service under the Resistance as a pocket carrier and medical frigate.
The Nebulon-E Frigate is simply a modernized model of the of the Nebulon-C, following the pattern began by the Nebulon-D. Using similar layouts and aesthetics the frigate is normally modeled into a Carrier or medical ship. With its modular construction, each hull is able to be mostly completed before the demands for one variant or another must be decided. Even after completion, retooling an existing hull is fairly easy and quick, while engine blocks are able to be exchanged within a day or so as they are traded between ships based on damage.
Often the Carrier is used as a pocket carrier with a two full wings of Starfighters in its forward spire, a cargo hauler by filling its hangar with large containers of equipment and goods, or as a medical ship loaded with self-replenishing bacta tanks and surgical suites. Its weapons loadout is restricted to only a handful of defensive weapons and turbolasers, able to ward off small groups of enemy fighters but otherwise poorly armed with a spattering of evenly spaced Heavy Turbolasers and point defense weapons, providing full coverage but lacking heavy hitting power.
As with many other Alderaan Engineering designs the EF87 has been fitted with a Power Converter which it uses to modulate the flow of power from its primary reactor to amplify its combat systems. Using this system it is able to boost either its weapons, shields, or engines slightly while in combat. It takes the system a few short moments to stop the flow of energy to one system, redirect the powerflow, and re-enable the system once more.