GR-85 MEDIUM TRANSPORT
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: A cool Ship
Image Source: [x]
Canon Link: GR-75 Medium Transport
Primary Source: Not Applicable
- Cargo Variant
- Minelayer Variant
- Transport Variant
- Starship Components
Classification: Armed Transport
Length: 90 Meters
Width: 27.4 Meters
Height: 19.56 Meters
[Moderate Full Power to Weapons]
- Twin-Linked Laser Cannon Turrets (4)
- ACS Witch Fire CIWS (2)
- Warhead Launchers (2)
[High Full Power to Shields]
- Deflector Shields
- Dampener Chaff
Minimum Crew: 1
Optimum Crew: 10
- Cargo Variant: 10
- Minelayer Variant: 20
- Transport Variant: 90
- Cargo Variant: 19,000 Metric Tons
- Minelayer Variant: 12,500 Metric Tons
- Transport Variant: 2,000 Metric Tons
Consumables: 3 Months
Maneuverability Rating: Average
Speed Rating: Average
[High Full Power to Engines]
Hyperdrive Class: 1.0
Backup Hyperdrive Class: 8.0
The GR-85 contains standard features and technology comparable to other transports and corvettes in the modern era. Its computers, sensors, and other systems are of similar codes and specifications, with comparable analogs of other ships from other galactic governments.
- Cargo Variant: The interior of the Cargo GR-85 is designed to hold hundreds of cargo containers within a magnetic lock which also kept the atmosphere within the field.
- Minelayer Variant: The Minelayer of the GR-85 carries various Vigilante Mines, able to store 5,000 of them within the bowels of the ship as it travels. It can carry a payload of any type of space mine, such as Empion, Ion, proton, armed mines, and others. The mines can be released all at once and rapidly move into a preset position and distance from one another.
- Transport Variant: The Transport Variant of the GR-85 is fitted with an Individual Field Disruptor to allow it to penetrate through enemy shields for carrying out boarding actions and assaulting planetary locations. This system however forces the GR-85 to lower its own shields in the process.
- Power Converter: The new GR-85 Models now include Power Converters and a small reserve Power Generator, which allows them to boost one of their combat systems in battle, or assist with a rapid startup sequence.
- Modular Internal Structure: Given their highly modular nature, the GR-85's can be internally altered with relative ease making room for more hangar space or additional weaponry, which also makes repair simple.
- Passive Long Range Stealth: Energy Dampeners, Static Dampeners, and Emission dampeners allow the GR-75 to fly under stealth conditions and hide from most sensors at long range. In order to do this it cannot use its power converters, fire weaponry, or have active shields.
- Unassigned Energy: In combat, the reserve power must be assigned by the pilot or droid or it is not utilized or directed. This means when ambushed by enemy craft, the vessel is not able to perform at its full potential for a time while the pilot or droid bring the reactor online and direct it.
- One System at a Time: The fighter’s power converter can only direct its reserve power to a single combat system at a time, taking several seconds to stop the flow of energy to one system, then redirect it, and begin the flow of energy to the next system.
- Limited Stealth: The New Incom Line has minor stealth capabilities, but the fighter must power down weapons and shields, and cannot boost engines in order to evade enemy sensors at long range. The system is ineffective at normal ranges.
GR-85 Medium Transport is simply a modernized version of the Gallofree Yards GR-75, built for the post-gulag galaxy. The easily modifiable, easily converted, vessel is designed around the same shell-like function of its predecessor with a balance of speed and durability combined with adequate defensive weaponry. The open-space design is able to fit a handful of modules within the dorsal section of the vessel, such as a Forge designed to produce Space Mines, the stereotypical cargo handling systems for an immense amount of supplies, or an enlarged passenger section which allows for the transport to be used like an atmospheric assault lander. The GR-85 features a slight increase in armament over its predecessor to better protect itself, featuring the same four twin-linked laser cannon turrets, now supported by a pair of CIWS turrets and two starfighter-grade warhead launchers.
The Cargo variant, or stock model, is by far the most commonly seen version of the ship, featuring load handling systems which allow the containers held within the vessel to be cycled through and adjusted within the magnetic field. It can carry livestock or botanical supplies, as the atmosphere, pressure, and temperature are all maintained.
The Minelayer version of the vessel, based off the ancient Nonvideor-class Minelayer, carries a plethora of Vigilante-Type Space mines, a full 5,000 when fully loaded. These mines are networked and self-dispersing, allowing a vessel to simply open its ventral section and release the mines by deactivating its magnetic field, instantly creating a rapidly expanding cloud of defense. The mines can be preset to form any rough geometric shape and can be set to a predetermined distance from each other, usually enough to prevent sympathetic detonation. It usually also carries mine countermeasures equipment for minesweeping, recollection, and minehunting duties.
The Transport model, or Assault Model as it is referred to by some, fills the role of a troop transport able to deliver soldiers straight into combat and participate in boarding actions. This model is sometimes used as a close-air-support platform with some success, turning its laser cannons against ground based armor and infantry. The Transport model allows for friendly troops to disembark the vessel from several points, fore, aft, and several starboard and port openings. Sometimes, it carries a number of drop pods to launch troops to the ground. Another feature of this variant is a Field Disruptor, which allows the vessel to slip through shielding to commit boarding actions or bypass planetary shields, though this system interferes with its own shields as well.
Unlike previous incarnations of the GR series, the GR-85 features a stealth suite akin to the U-55 Orbital Loadlifter with drive baffles, reduced sensor signatures, and other sensor dampening systems allowing it to go unnoticed by standard sensors. When doing so its weapons and shields must be powered down, and it cannot be boosting its engine power. In doing so, the passive stealth allows the vessel to hide from sensors and scanners, however it does not cloak the vessel from sight.
GR-85 has been fitted with a Power Converter which it uses to modulate the flow of energy from its primary reactor to amplify its combat systems. Using this system it is able to boost either its weapons, shields, or engines while in combat. It takes the system a few short moments to stop the flow of energy to one system, redirect the powerflow, and re-enable the system once more, but provides the vessel with much more versatility than it would otherwise possess.
Edited by Laira Darkhold, 01 January 2019 - 06:45 PM.