Kytharus Heavy Support Vehicle
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To create a heavy combat hover tank for the Eldorai and Firemane to use. This vehicle has extremely heavy firepower, at the cost of lighter weapons and speed.
- Image Source: Here. Scorpion Eldar tank from 40k.
- Canon Link: N/A
- Primary Source: N/A
- Manufacturer: Eldorai Matriarchy, Firemane Industries & Technology
- Affiliation: Closed-Market Firemane, Eldorai characters of this writer and Siobhan Kerrigan. Others with permission.
- Model: Kytharus I
- Modularity: Colour.
- Production: Limited
- Material: Durasteel core, alusteel plating, electronics, Phrik reinforcement.
- Classification:: Heavy Assault Anti-Grav Tank
- Role: Siege vehicle, vehicle destroyer.
- Size: Very Large
- Weight: Very Heavy
- Minimum Crew: 6
- Optimal Crew: 10
- Propulsion: Repulsorlift
- Speed: Slow
- Maneuverability: Average
- Armaments: Extreme
- Defenses: Very High
- Heavy deflector shield.
- Blending camouflage.
- Low profile.
- Heavy armour.
- Phrik reinforcement.
- Squadron Count: Low: 9
- Passenger Capacity: N/A
- Cargo Capacity: Small,
- Advanced tracking and targeting sensors.
- Quiet engines and camouflage.
- Weapons can target ground or air. Primary weapon obviously only suited for firing at large largest like corvettes or bigger in atmosphere.
- Primary and secondary weapon have 360 degree arc and 0-90 degree pivot.
- Eidolon Modulating Energy Shield (purchase request here, permission here).
- Firepower. With the equivalent of a turbolaser in its primary weapon, the Kytharus can hammer slow moving or emplaced enemies. It can also provide fire against starships in low orbit.
- Surprise. For such a large vehicle the Kytharus can move quietly and over most terrain including water or sand. It can also conceal itself with its low profile and adaptive camouflage.
- Resilience. With very heavy shields and plating, the Kytharus can take a considerable amount of punishment before it is destroyed.
- Support. The Kytharus requires support. It is designed to bombard and shatter heavy enemies. It is not well equipped to deal with infantry or lighter vehicles which can evade its fire. Further, its defence against air is quite limited.
- Speed. Compared to other Eldorai vehicles, this tank is extremely slow. It is not a vehicle for rapidly flanking and moving.
- Terrain. Though it can pass over difficult flat terrain, woods, mountains or urban environments are difficult for it.
In Eldorai myth the Kytharus was a great beast with a burning gaze which judged and purged sinners before the gates of paradise, destroying the worst before they reached the judgement of the Goddess. The image of the twin dreadful gaze is a common motif in Eldorai art, and had been used to name units or vehicles before, even for a similar machine in the far distant past.
Now though the situation had greatly changed for the Eldorai, and they found themselves adrift in the galaxy. One minor positive though was their partnership with Firemane which allowed them to design war machines for their own and their ally’s use. One such machine was dubbed the Kytharus and was conceived as a very large mobile artillery and siege vehicle. The deadly gaze of the legendary beast would be brought to life by two massive laser cannons mounted on a turret. These twin weapons had the combined power of a turbolaser; a powerful weapon to mount on a tank indeed!
Pushing the limits of what repulsorlift technology could do, the Kytharus was quite slow, but could move over most terrain freely including water. Heavy armour plating including phrik reinforcement and a deflector shield gave the machine survivability. Camouflage and quiet engines also gave it a limited ability to avoid detection, though not enough to be considered stealth.
In battle the squadrons of 9 are divided into sections of 3 to support and bombard enemy positions. Most commonly they will take position behind a hill, levitate up with the repulsors, fire and drop back into cover. This is most effective if there are spotters or orbital scans of course.
The secondary weapons on the Kytharus are designed to only provide limited support; it requires backup from other units to excel. Without support, and at close quarters this vehicle can be overwhelmed and defeated.
Edited by Anya Venari, 02 January 2019 - 07:02 PM.