OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To create a Guide for Padawans and other Jedi on Lightsabers IC and OOC
- Image Credit: Made by me with PNG Images; Triangle; Jedi Logo
- Canon: No
- Links: Lightsaber Wookiepedia;
- Media Name: Lightsabers, A Practical Guide
- Format: Book; Holo-Book; Data Cron
- Distribution: Scattered
- Length: Medium
- Description: The Practical Guide to Lightsabers was written by Kylie Talor primarily for the audience of other young Padawans. Though extensive research went into the product, some of it was gathered from already existing sources. Excerpts of other texts were used, and due credit given. Even a more experienced Jedi can glean a trick or two from the read.
- Author: Kylie Talor
- Publisher: Self Published
- Reception: The Book is received well by its intended audience, and has even found its way into some Jedi Training Curricula. For the most part it serves as additional reading to supplement training sessions, and can be found in just about any Jedi Archive or Library. Some Sith or Darksiders may own versions that were stolen, ripped off, or otherwise lost; but it is rare occurrence. Anyone who can reasonably access a Jedi Library can access this material.
- Lightsaber Construction
- Lightsaber Analysis
- Compendium of Semi-Unique Crystals
- Lightsaber Forms; uses and instructions to learn
The Contents include
- CHAPTER 1: LIGHTSABER HISTORY
- CHAPTER 2: USES AND SYMBOLISM
- CHAPTER 3: CONSTRUCTION METHODS
- CHAPTER 4: PARTS AND ACCESSORIES
- CHAPTER 5: ON DUELING
- CHAPTER 6: CRYSTALS
- CHAPTER 7: AN OVERVIEW OF FORMS
- CHAPTER 8: FAMOUS DUELISTS AND DUELS
- CHAPTER 9: SUMMARY
EXCERPTS; (Non Original Content)
"While dueling is all too common in the galaxy, the true duelists that first emerged were the Jed'aii. They used bucklers and long or short blades infused with the force. This is where the tradition of Jedi Knight creating their weapon comes from. Initially, to be considered a full Je'daii one would forge their own blade, with the aid of the force of course. Sound familiar?" - Kylie Talor
"Sith were in the early days more focused on dueling, as they were the destructive arts. We can attribute this to the inherently warlike tenacity of the Darkside. It came naturally that they were legendary duelists in the time before the Gulag Plague. In the time of the very First Republic, Pre Gulag; they were considered almost unstoppable with the weapon." - Kylie Talor
"Multiple forms remain in use today, passed down through the years. Favorites among Jedi remain Soresu, and Form I and Ataru as they are mostly defensive, thus indicative of a Jedi's typical Mindset. Against that Sith prefer the more aggressive forms, Juyo, Vapaad and the like. Curiously a good amount on every side of the force employ Niman, and Tra Kata to their decided advantage. Though these are considered advanced forms, they certainly can throw an enemy off balance." - Kylie Talor
"For the duelist, Makashi is very, very hard to beat. An elegant style based of quick swishes, flicks, and feints. Though outside a straight up duel it begins to loose practicality." - Kylie Talor
"While most folks know the typical Crystals, I've taken the Liberty of doing a lil' diggin' to bring you the uncommon stuff." - Kylie Talor
UNIQUE AND SEMI-UNIQUE CRYSTALS
EXCERPT FROM STUDIES OF JORUS MERRILL
- Allya’s Exile [X] - A crystal of Dathomiri heritage. Extreme cutting power (noted as better than a Sigil). Red blade.
- Allya’s Redemption [X] - A crystal of Dathomiri heritage. ‘Acid damage’ effect unrecognized; interpreted as better cutting power. Green blade.
- Ankarres Sapphire - A legendary healing artifact that can only be used by a Lightsider. Contact with the Ankarres Sapphire will burn a Darksider.
- Baas’ Wisdom [X] - References the legendary Jedi Bodo Baas and/or Vodo-Siosk Baas. ‘Cold damage’ effect unrecognized; interpreted as better cutting power. Blue blade.
- Bane’s Heart - Through unknown means, allows the owner to charge the blade with lightning, making it more effective against droids. A saber with this crystal can only be used by the saber’s maker, or by others with significant difficulty. Purple-red blade.
- Bnar’s Sacrifice - References the legendary Jedi Ood Bnar. A saber with this crystal can only be used by the saber’s maker. Brownish blade.
- Bondara’s Folly - References the legendary Jedi Anoon Bondara. A saber with this crystal can only be used by the saber’s maker. Brownish blade.
- Cunning of Tyranus [X] - References the legendary Sith Lord Dooku. A saber with this crystal can only be used by the saber’s maker. Red blade.
- Dawn of Dagobah [X] - ‘Acid damage’ effect unrecognized; interpreted as better cutting power. Teal blade.
- Heart of the Guardian [X] - Can alter the abilities of other crystals within the same saber, in strange ways. Reddish/bronze/yellow blade. Sith and Jedi prophecies are associated with this crystal.
- Horn’s Future - References the legendary Jedi Corran Horn. Blue blade.
- Kenobi’s Legacy - References the legendary Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi. A saber with this crystal can only be used by the saber’s maker. Blue blade.
- Kun’s Blood - References the legendary Sith Lord Exar Kun. Reddish-brown blade.
- Mantle of the Force - Can alter the abilities of other crystals within the same saber, in strange ways. Cyan blade.
- Prowess of Plo Koon - References the legendary Jedi Master Plo Koon. Indigo or violet blade.
- Ruusan Crystal - Found on Ruusan. Extremely rare; considered lost after 1,000 BBY. Improves Force focus. White or pinkish blade.
- Sapith - Found on Lwhekk. Extremely rare; excreted once every eleven years by a Volice worm, which went extinct at some point before 4,000 BBY. White or grayish blade.
- Sunrider’s Destiny - References the legendary Jedi Nomi and Vima Sunrider. A saber with this crystal can only be used by the saber’s maker. Teal blade.
- Ulic’s Redemption - References the legendary Jedi-turned-Sith Lord Ulic Qel-Droma. Yellow blade.
- Windu’s Guile - References the legendary Jedi Mace Windu. A Hurrikaine crystal. A body part of the stone-encrusted natives on Hurikane. Noted as very good at penetrating defenses (often interpreted as good against energy shields). A saber with this crystal can only be used by the saber’s maker. Violet blade.
"Perhaps the most important part, the heart of every blade is the Crystal. While the Jedi preferr the more natural crystals that are harder to come by, most Darksiders make their own; hence the Crimson Blade. Over the years post Dark Harvest it's been noted that certain Jedi have also adopted Crimson. One notable is Romi Jade" - Kylie Talor
"Certain Crystals had a great power to help their user, or alter environmental effects. The Glare Ice Crystal, and Orrazerus Crystal rank among the many. Notable the Healing Crystals of Fire had an odd ability too. These could either be found or created with great skill or dumb luck." - Kylie Talor
"The emitter and focusing lens can make the difference between a long, short, thick or thin blade. While the heart (Crystal) always has the most effect on it, emitter can focus that baby down however you need it."- Kylie Talor
"Famous Sabers generally have always had names. Take the Darksaber for instance, or "Jedis Bane," wielded by Sith Emperor Carnifex. They all have names, because they either did great or terrible deeds."- Kylie Talor
A LIST OF COMMON FORMS AND THEIR USES
FORM I: SHII-CHO
- Basic Defensive form. First form most Jedi learn. Characterized by disarming power strikes, guards, and sweeping cleaves against multiples attackers.
FORM II: MAKASHI
- A duelist specialized form. Based on Counters, Feints, and exploiting an enemy's lapse in guard with swift attack. A curved hilt helps with the flicking and swishing. Typically one blade used.
FORM III: SORESU
- Your best form for defense. Based upon redirecting attacks, and deflecting bolts. Advanced user have been known to weave a cage ofdefense around themselves, leaving nothing to exploit!
FORM IV: ATARU
- A purely offensive form. Short swift strikes, and high jumps with hammer blows from on high. Typically one bladed, and used to hammer an opponent.
FORM V: SHEIN; DJEM-SO
- A finesse offense/defense form. Power attacks, smooth transition from parry to attack, weaving defensive cages, the works.
FORM VI: NIMAN
- A versatile form. Uses a lot of TK to pull enemy into slashes, or hack and blast them away from yourself. Can be combined with a pistol or second blade for unpredictability
FORM VII: JUYO; VAPAAD
- Based on flanking, attacking with precision strikes, tempering swings with just the amount of aggression and power cleaves. Fancied by many Darksiders. Darth Maul practiced it extensively. Also a favorite of Mace Windu. Can be done single bladed, but a sabestaff give that extra wow factor.
LESSER KNOWN FORMS
- Makes use of always seizing high ground or key terrain. Foot work, with a high guard is key here. Lends itself well to defense and offense,
- Favorite of Annakin Skywalker. Twin blades for double strikes or the whirly dirly blade tornado move. Nothing really fancy after that. some users hold one blade in reverse grip for a hammer and slash effect.
- Tricky form; very dangerous. Favored by Ashin Varanin. User makes use of deactivating their blade to pass enemy guard, then reactivating inside the guard to land a strike. Can get cut real easy if you don't anticipate correctly
Created by Kylie Talor and a dedicated team of Jedi Scribes. Much research was conducted and the final result was captured in a brown leather bound book, with a plasteel spine. The book was then disseminated to all Jedi Archives and Libraries. Anyone that can access said locations, would have access to the book in question.
Kylie retains the original
Edited by Kylie Talor, 16 July 2019 - 09:53 AM.