OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To make a lighter piece of armour for Joycelyn Zambrano.
- Image Source: 'Royal Cassandra' texture for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Uploaded to NexusMods.com by ArXangel.
- Canon Link: N/A
- Primary Source:
- Manufacturer: Sith-Imperial Corps of Engineers.
- Affiliation: Joycelyn Zambrano
- Model: N/A
- Modularity: No.
- Material: Phrik breastplate, armourweave, norris dye.
- Classification: Multipurpose.
- Weight: Light.
- Resistances (For each category choose from: None, Very Low, Low, Average, High, Very High, Extreme Ratings of High, Very High, and Extreme will need to be added as strengths with elaboration.
- Blasters (And other plasma type weapons): Very High
- Kinetic: High
- Lightsabers: Very High
- Environmental: Average
- EMP/ION: Average
- Sonic: Low
- Acid: Low
- Phrik Plating: Phrik alloy makes an extremely durable compound. This has been expertly shaped into a breastplate and backplate. When put together, it forms a rigid shell around the rib cage and most vital organs. The breastplate ends at the natural waist.
- Finely Worked: The cuirass is meticulously etched and engraved to display the wearer's royal lineage. It also has magnetic fasteners for a cape.
- Armourweave: Worn as a bodyglove, offers protection against blasters and blades, and some resistance against lightsabres. The bodyglove is treated with an environment underlay. An optional armourweave cape with fur-lined collar follows.
- Norris coat: The red coat worn under the cuirass, but over the armourweave is treated with a deep dye from norris root, staining it red. This dye makes the fabric more resistant to energy weapons such as blasters and lightsabres.
- Trauma Pads: Small, rigid plates, stitched into the shin, lower arm, and abdominal region for protection against low level kinetic damage while affording movement.
- Gloves: Supple leather with reinforced knuckles. Decorated with silver studs.
- Boots: Knee high, made from supple leather, and based on those worn in the Sith-Imperial legion. The boots also feature reinforced toe tips.
- Belt/Harness: A fine web of black, leather belts and froggers for holding weapons and equipment. The belt is decorated with engravings and silver details.
- Cuirass: A phrik breastplate and backplate encases the wearer's torso in a protective shell. This shell is highly resistant against blasters, slugs and lightsabres, but covers only some of the body.
- Soft Defence: Under the cuirass is a norris root dyed coat and armourweave bodyglove. This combination provides a fairly light and flexible defence that is resistant against blasters and glancing lightsabre blows.
- Movement and Comfort: This armour allows more agility, endurance, and a greater range of movement than its heavier cousins. It is also fairly comfortable to wear, and easily suited to a range of climates.
- Go for the Head: While the breastplate itself is highly resistant against many types of damage, the wearer's head, legs and arms are much less protected.
- Limited Protection: While the armourweave and norris root dye provides some resistance to blasters and lightsabres, a solid hit may still penetrate the cloth and wound the wearer. Slugs and bludgeoning weapons are effective against the soft elements of the armour.
- Area of Effect: This armour in itself provides little to no resistance against area effects like grenades, sonic weapons, or acid sprays that affect the whole body.
The life of a Zambrano is turbulent and full of unforeseen dangers. As a Lord of the Sith, colonel in the Sith-Imperial Legion, and heir apparent to the imperial throne, Darth Vornskr the Second has become accustomed to wearing armour. While the Imperator's Raiment offers excellent protection, it is far too cumbersome to wear constantly, and thus Joycelyn found a need for a lighter armour to wear off the battlefield.
The light armour would primarily have to protect her from blasters and lightsabres, and protect her vital organs from bludgeoning and solid ballistics. The ensemble had to be shaped for comfort and movement, but also display the appropriate station of the Princess of Dromund Kaas.
The Royal Armourers of the Zambrano dynasty went deep in their research to check every box.
Being the primary material of her larger armour set, phrik was an obvious choice for the breastplate. Armourweave was also chosen early on as a general layer of protection. However, it was thought to be less than protective enough. After much research, the head armourer was given an anonymous tip about the ancient art of norris root dye. When armourweave was combined with a layer of norris-root dyed fabric, it formed a layered protection against most energy weapons that was deemed appropriate. For further protection, some rigid plating was sown into the clothes. These plates mostly protect against low level impacts such as falling debris.
The deep, red dye combined with black leather and decorative silver studs also reflected the Sith-Imperial colours, and the breastplate was both engraved and etched with intricate designs to decorate the warrior princess.
Even with this layered protection, Joycelyn became keenly aware that the kit mostly protected her abdomen and only warded off glancing blows on her arms. The only true defence the armour provides is for the chest and vital organs, encased in phrik alloy. The complete ensemble is heavy for a light armour, but feels very light when worn by someone who often relies on medium or heavy protection. The material of the breastplate is light enough that it should still be classified as a light armour.
To avoid injuries to limbs or head, the wearer would have to rely on movement. Fortunately, the armour provides good movement.