• Create Account
Photo

New Character Bio Template. Pitch Me.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (14 member(s) have cast votes)

New 2019 Character Bio Template?

1. Yes (7 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (5 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

3. Other (2 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jay Scott Clark

Jay Scott Clark

Writer

• Writers
  • 8,156 posts

Chaos is an ever changing beast. Which, I find to be a good thing. Likewise, with every new year comes new opportunities to improve, advance, and perhaps even evolve into something better. Out with the old ways of thinking and of doing, and in with the new.

Anyways. Progress rant aside. As I was redoing my characters bio for the million'th time I couldn't help but notice how far, far, and away both myself, and others, had gotten from the standard Character Bio Template. Everything I was doing was different. From formatting, to color choices, to image placement, to subsequent posts reserved, to thread tracking, etc. Heck, even the Bio's own relevance had changed. I mean. Who even uses Strengths and Weaknesses anymore eh? More like, juvenile busy work for amateur writers who can't give their Mary Sue superhero a single flaw to save their lives except, "bad dancer". Lol. (...And we've all seen *those* weaknesses a thousand times, am I right?)

And bounties claimed? What even is that. Did we even use that in 2014? 2015? ...Ever? Nah. I'm calling it. Chaos, we need a new flashy template or I'm gonna start thinking we should just pitch the things entirely. What say you?

TL;DR: Pitch me some new Character Bio Templates. Let's mix it up a bit.

Scherezade deWinter

Scherezade deWinter

The Blood Hound

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 3,580 posts

The template isn't mandatory. A lot of people have put templates up that can be freely used, some even offer graphics. Do your thing, be happy, go forth and RP :)

R5DUv0y.pngEJHxuPJ.gifbOS98P.gif

xIdKC6.gif

bgL1bz.gif

Jay Scott Clark

Jay Scott Clark

Writer

• Writers
  • 8,156 posts

The template isn't mandatory. A lot of people have put templates up that can be freely used, some even offer graphics. Do your thing, be happy, go forth and RP :)

So what you're saying is... We should redo the Character Creation page and just delete the default template entirely and instead put up a graphic saying,

"Go find an actually awesome bio template somewhere on the website, probably the Art Section, and use that right now to craft your totally-not-mandatory character bio in the Character Creation forum. Because tradition."

...Cause that's totally what I just heard you say. :D :P

#FeelingCute #MightPokeScherezade

Scherezade deWinter

Scherezade deWinter

The Blood Hound

• Codex Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 3,580 posts

No.

R5DUv0y.pngEJHxuPJ.gifbOS98P.gif

xIdKC6.gif

bgL1bz.gif

Veiere Arenais

Veiere Arenais

Silver Jedi Ambassador

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 4,843 posts

I still use the Bounty's and Players Killed section...

One day....One day, someone out there will give me a name to put on the list. 

*Sniffle*

UgCO5NV.png

hJrtOXv.gif

9W1Zuct.png|65efa8eb2f3d12b103d176987b3c29b1-dbret8z|friOAgG.png

[Jedi Battle-Armor] ["The Judiciary" Heavy Cruiser] [Veiere's Silver Lightsaber]

~ The right course of action rarely comes with ease, and without personal sacrifice ~

Valiens Nantaris

Valiens Nantaris

Head Admin

• Administrators
  • 19,770 posts

The template we have there is a base starting point meant to be expanded on by the creative and adventurous.

I mean, if someone suggests a great new design that keeps things simple yet is a bit newer...I'd consider it.

BBS8Bub.jpg

57wSzTY.png3cFUgUN.png1iYfC3H.pngWJCVATQ.png

Khonsu Amon

Khonsu Amon

=] IMPETU ☼ SOLIS [=

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 1,457 posts

If anything, we could possibly replace the Strengths and Weakness section with Traits and Drawbacks instead.

Posted Image

Signature made by Bambi - Avatar made by Sochi Ru

| Equipment Listing |

Coci Heavenshield

Coci Heavenshield

Dawnguard Grand Master

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 12,562 posts

Jay Scott Clark

Not pitchin' nothin'.:P

I only use the template as a template to be used at my leisure. Removing things adding things etc., and only ever used it as a guide.  

UL8HqDk.gif

aKrtVKp.jpgng5zqe.jpg    4dsxBxR.jpg qgxVdYf.jpg

Amea Virou

Amea Virou
  • Character
    • Character Bio
  • 212 posts

If anything, we could possibly replace the Strengths and Weakness section with Traits and Drawbacks instead.

This is all that is needed because,

The template we have there is a base starting point meant to be expanded on by the creative and adventurous.

This is the only truth the sheet needs. We could make a more expanded sheet, but ultimately the purpose of the one in the Character Sheet section is meant to make people think and explore on their own. The more 'complex' that sheet gets for newcomers and people who are just generally new to the hobby, the more likely we are to find that people coming in are at risk of finding the site as a whole too complex because of it. And for this reason I'd rather we just keep the one we have but make the changes proposed by Khonsu Amon.

Better to KISS* than to risk alienating anyone at all.

* - Keep it simple, stupid.

IbK7xPA.png

Tathra Khaeus

Tathra Khaeus

π•Žπ”Έβ„'π•Š β„‚π•Œπ•Šπ•‹π•†π”»π•€π”Έβ„•

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 6,171 posts

tenor.gif?itemid=14292102

Like everyone else said, its more what you'd call simple guidelines to be expanded upon. People that want to put the work into an awesome bio do, the template is grand the way it is. With maybe the drawback thing added, sure.

Untitled-1.gif

Fiore de Noir

Fiore de Noir

Pierce the Heavens

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 251 posts

Jay Scott Clark

Honestly, the template works because like what everyone said its just a base starting point. Most people spice up their own profile and make it unique, while a few others are like "HERE'S MY CHARACTER" and runs off to RP. There's no reason to change something has worked for years. 

tl;dr - there are more important things to look at than a template that has nothing wrong with it. 

Z7oqKWc.png

Marina DeVoe

Marina DeVoe

Not a flight attendant... please take your seat.

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 5,040 posts

Current one is helpful as a starter for new peeps getting into RP.

I've used it as such when I got an invite to write here on Chaos, and just am too busy/lazy to spiff it up to my taste. Hey, what do you expect from a spam queen! :P

cyYj7rD.png

Jay Scott Clark

Jay Scott Clark

Writer

• Writers
  • 8,156 posts

Seeing a lot of love for the current template.

Interesting. Probably gonna wait on this one for awhile then. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :D

Edited by Jay Scott Clark, 11 July 2019 - 02:34 PM.