OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To create a v-150 Planet Defender ion cannon that is brought up to speed with the current age that Chaos takes place in as well as to make a factory appropriate format for such weapon so that it can be gauged during scenes against other submissions.
- Image Source: N/A
- Canon Link: v-150 Planet Defender
- Primary Source: v-150 Planet Defender
- Manufacturer: Original design by Kuat Drive Yards and modified by Bral Metal & Engineering (BM&E)
- Affiliation: Valdus Bral, Bral Metal & Engineering (BM&E), Closed-Market
- Model: v-150r
- Modularity: No. However, the layout of components such as how the power generators are organized and the distance between the generators and the cannon can be shortened or lengthened before final installation.
- Production: Limited (Clan Bral , the Mandalorian clan that Valdus Bral leads)
- Material: Dallorian alloy, Durasteel, targeting computers, power generator components, heavily shielded circuitry, and all other essential components of the original v-150 Planet Defender.
- Classification: Heavy Ion Cannon
- Size: Very Large
- Weight: Extreme
- Ammunition Type: Energy
- Ammunition Capacity: Infinite Ammunition as long as the series of power generators are functional and fueled. However, the capacitors can hold up to 8 shots before requiring recharge.
- Reload Speed: N/A
- Effective Range: Extreme (up to 180,000 kilometers)
- Rate of Fire: High
- Stopping Power: Very High
- Recoil: Average
- Double Tap: This weapon, much like it's predecessor, fires in volleys of two shots with a downtime of one second between volleys up to a total of four volleys equaling eight projectiles.
- This weapon, much like the original v-150 Planet Defender, is capable of shutting down a capital ship, such as an Imperial Star Destroyer, in two shots. However, ships that are much larger than a standard Imperial Star Destroyer I or with significant ion shielding will take more shots to shutdown; though it is reasonable to assume that these vessels would still be somewhat effected by direct hits from this weapon. The dispersion of the Ion shot is ship-wide, just as with the original v-150 Planet defender.
- As depicted in canon, the v-150 Planet Defender's ion projectiles are very quick and able to go from the surface of Hoth to near orbit in a matter of seconds. This strength has been carried over into the v-150r.
- Based off the aforementioned canon reference, the v-150 Planet Defender and the v-150r Heavy Ion Cannon are capable of hitting very distant objects and thus has an extreme rating for effective range.
- This weapon is not just a single weapon, it is a complete weapon system including a series of dedicated power generators. The energy draw from this weapon is immense and would be considered a very poor choice to use a power source that is already in use for other systems.
- Due to the requirement of dedicated power generators, this weapon system takes up a large amount of space.
- Power generators or power sources in general are often weak points to structures as they are highly volatile and, if damaged severely enough, can explode causing major damage to everything around it and possibly setting off a chain reaction.
- While the v-150r Heavy Ion Cannon has an infinite amount of ammunition while generators are fueled and functional, the generators themselves are not capable of building up enough energy in a short amount of time to allow the v-150r to fire continuously. Not only is the system not built for this kind of strain, to do so would require an immense dedicated array of generators that wouldn't be feasible for military use. Due to this the v-150r, just like the v-150 Planet Defender, utilizes a series of high capacity capacitors to store enough energy for several shots before unloading the volleys.
- Leading off this, damaging or destroying a capacitor or all of the capacitors will reduce the number of stored shots the v-150r is capable of or render the v-150r nonoperational respectively.
The v-150 Planet Defender was an iconic piece of military technology before the infamous Clone Wars era developed by the renown Kuat Drive Yards. The owner of Bral Metal & Engineering, a Mandalore based weapon system manufacturing business, has a fascination with iconic weapons and military equipment from bygone eras. Much like the ARC-170r the v-150r Heavy Ion Cannon is now a part of BM&E's expanding r-series products; the r is a stand-in for reproduction. BM&E has stayed faithful to original Kuat Drive Yard design, besides stripping down unnecessary utilities that would only be used for a stationary emplacement on a planet's surface. Additionally, the v-150r is capable of varying length between the cannon and the power generators instead of a predetermined distance.
Edited by Valdus Bral, 14 July 2019 - 05:49 AM.