OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: Creating an isolated planet, slowly transitioning into galactic affairs.
- Image Credit: http://planetmaker.wthr.us/
- Canon: Nope.
- Links: TBA
- Planet Name: Dune
- Demonym: Dunish
- Region: Unknown Regions
- System Name: Dune System (Galactic) - Home System (Local)
- System Features: The planet has two barren and uninhabited moons, protecting the planet from previous asteroid impacts. Each day lasts 22 hours, and each year is 302 days.
- Location: https://imgur.com/mb3gy4y
- Major Imports: No significant trade with other planets.
- Major Exports: No significant trade with other planets.
- Unexploited Resources: Pockets of durasteel only used secretively.
- Gravity: Standard
- Climate: Temperate
- Primary Terrain: Urban, Grassland, Mountains, Forests, Deserts, Tundra, Arctic.
- Atmosphere: Type I
- Capital City: Georal City
- Planetary Features: Although on the surface the planet appears to combine moderate urban expansion with more rural, uninhabited areas, a complex layer of deeply secluded underground military compounds can be found across the planet.
- Major Locations:
Georal City - Capital - A relatively large city, housing 17 million inhabitants. This city is the capital of the recently established planetary government, housing it's government and economic headquarters. (Image credit: https://fictional-ci...wiki/Empire_Bay)
- More to be added.
- Native Species: The main sentient species on Dune are the Dunish people - In appearance, they look extremely similar to the average Human. This is because of the interbreeding between the ancient Dunish people, and lost groups of Humans looking to settle new planets.
- Immigrated Species: [ Immigrant species with significant populations. Links to uncommon species are appreciated but not required. ]
- Population: Moderate: 9 Billion people.
- Demographics: Dunish are the only sentient species.
- Primary Languages: Dunish is the primary local language, although Galactic Basic is used for diplomacy, and inter-species co-operation.
- Culture: Dunish culture is heavily reliant on creativity, and freedom - these two being almost subjectively good througout the planet. Although the Dunish carry the almost destructive nature of their ancient Human ancestors. For most, life consists of working, to create an income to provide for family. There are those who take some extreme approaches, whether to nationalist tendencies, or religious fanaticism. Overall, the species is relatively split in terms of where they want the species to go. For that reason, they have been relatively sheltered from the knowledge of extraterrestrial life.
GOVERNMENT & ECONOMY
- Government: Planetary Democratic Republic on the outside. Galactic affairs are controlled by a non-electoral Military body.
- Affiliation: N/A for now.
- Wealth: Medium Although recent unity has led to intense economic stability, and the ability to stabilise wealth on a mass scale, there are still some areas of the planet left in severe poverty.
- Stability: High. After a recent combination into a single planetary government, there is little to no unrest. Some nationalists/religious fanatics are heavily against the new governing body, and some smaller scale crime groups do exist.
- Freedom & Oppression: Although the government provides certain guaranteed freedoms and rights, there is still areas in which the law cannot reach. The government does however try to maintain a free, democratic system. The Military body running galactic affairs however, keeps all off-world information away from the public eye, often censoring all evidence of extraterrestrial activities.
MILITARY & TECHNOLOGY
- Military: The planet has two significant military groups.
Planetary Affairs : This is the force that controls all domestic affairs, having access to local technologies. Even so, the slow integration of more advanced technologies is being attempted, slow enough to avoid suspicions. The force consists of a ground force, air force, and a water based navy. This group is known internationally, and all are able to serve. The planetary forces have roughly 4 million active members. This force would also take care of planetary defence, should an invasion take place.
Galactic Affairs : This section controls all military interactions with foreign planets and species. Under the exact control of the Military Council, they have access to all reverse engineered technological advancements, with some elements of the planetary forces. Members are either raised from birth, or selected from loyal and dedicated soldiers in the planetary forces. There is almost no public knowledge of this organisation, beyond vague, disregarded conspiracy theorists.All members are housed in dedicated stations and facilities, with roughly 50,000 soldiers in service. Due to the secretive nature, great care is taken to avoid exposure. This means no massive capital ships.
- Technology: To the average Dunish citizen, technology is relatively low compared to that of the galaxy. The majority of their appliances are still controlled by fossil fuels. The Military Council has access to many technological advancements, bought from the reverse engineering of extraterrestrial bodies. This technology is being slowly integrated as prototypes to avoid suspicion. Only recently has the government made contact with the galactic community.
Dune started where most planets have done - a volcanic rock, floating through space. Fortunately, the perfect combination of atmospheric density, and the introduction of vital elements through rogue asteroids, allowed the production of liquid water, and eventually life. The planet has come close to destruction, due to the threat of asteroid impact, although the two orbiting moons have taken a heavy beating, sparing the world below.
After the first microscopic life came to be, many different flora and fauna started to litter the planet. This turned it into the green, lively planet that we see today.
Although life has been flourishing for it's entire known history, sentient life was simply unheard of for a very long while. It is presumed that the first sentient species on the planet was in a medieval-like condition when the first human sleeper-ships left the galactic core. Breeding with Human settlers led to the civilisation we know today.
The first "Dunish" people as we know, come from the arrival of technology-rejecting Humans, wishing to inhabit new worlds. They ended up interbreeding with another Human-like species, serving as the two common ancestors to the species. This process happened before the species could properly document anything, so this information is completely unknown to the Dunish research organisations. They just see this era as an evolutionary jump. The Dunish took over all remaining common ancestors many thousands of years ago.
The species started as most would have. Through the taming of the land, engaging in agriculture and farming, to the claiming of dominion - the establishment of various tribes and kingdoms. The species was extremely isolated from the rest of the galaxy, and was rarely visited by any significant galactic forces. Any significant species that came along often dismissed the species as a feral world, not worthy of interaction or invasion.
The species underwent a technological advancement under the rule of many nations/states. After years of warfare and inequality, a united government was formed in recent years. Now, the species has had the time to focus on economic growth, and focusing it's advances in space travel. A Military Council was established to oversee all interactions with other species, and the handling of off-world technology. They are now trying to slowly transition the world into a state in which it can be fully introduced to the rest of the galactic community.
Edited by Yezzo, 31 July 2019 - 09:34 AM.