Crusader Class Star Destroyer
Image Source: Here. Wookiepedia, Nebula Class SD
Affiliation: Open Market
Manufacturer: Firemane Industries and Technology
Material: Standard ship materials
Length: 1600 metres
Width: 600 metres
Height: 200 metres
Vs. Attack Craft: 10
Defence Rating: 14
- 20 x quad laser cannons (360 degree fire arc)(20DG)
- 20 x point defence lasers (360 degree fire arc)(20DG)
- 10 x flak cannons (270 degree fire arc)(10DG)
- 5 x heavy warhead clusters (1 forward, 2 each side)(180 degree fire arc each)(20HW)
- 10 x heavy quad turbolasers (270 degree fire arc)(80CG)
- 8 x heavy quad ion cannons (270 degree fire arc)(64CG)
- 3 x heavy quad turbolasers (360 degree fire arc)(24CG)
- 2 x heavy quad ion cannons (360 degree fire arc)(16CG)
- 5 x heavy ion cannon batteries (Left/Front fire arc)(40CG)
- 5 x heavy ion cannon batteries (Right/Front fire arc)(40CG)
- 10 x heavy turbolaser batteries (Left/Front fire arc)(80CG)
- 10 x heavy turbolaser batteries (Right/Front fire arc)(80CG)
- 20 turbolaser batteries (Left/Front fire arc)(80CG)
- 20 turbolaser batteries (Right/Front fire arc)(80CG)
- 5 x ion cannon batteries (Left/Front fire arc)(20CG)
- 5 x ion cannon batteries (Right/Front fire arc)(20CG)
- 6 x squadrons of attack craft. Usually 5 fighter/interceptor and 1 bomber.
- 1 x gunship squadron
- 2 x dropship squadrons
- Can divert power from engines and shields to weapons. This makes the ship slower and less agile (+3 to both) and prevents shield regeneration, but increases weapon power.
- Carries an Inertial Compensator
Manoeuvrability Rating: 15
Speed Rating: 15
Hyperdrive Class: 2.0
- Balance. Just like a true Jedi, the Crusader is well balanced between speed, firepower and protection. It mounts many powerful weapon systems and has a strong hanger deck.
- Concentrate Forward Firepower. The Crusader can divert power to its weapon systems, allowing it to focus a sickening amount of firepower especially forwards.
- Protected Systems. By housing the hanger in the centre and bottom of the ship, it is protected from most direct attacks. Likewise the reactor and vital systems are protected by the bulk of the ship.
- Parthian Shot. Unlike most capital ships, the Crusader has a limited number of guns which can fire in all directions, even backwards. These are mounted under the ship in turrets to protect the hanger.
- Jack Of All Trades. Like many Coalition ships, the Crusader is well balanced, but because of this lacks a particularly defining feature.
- Needs Escorting. With even less defence guns than usual for a ship of its size, the Crusader requires its attack craft and escorts to protect against enemy bombers and small ships.
- Short Range. The Crusader carries no ‘long-range’ weapons. Thus, if an opponent can keep out of range they can harry the ship without getting any response.
- Vanilla. The Crusader is as close to being a ‘vanilla’ star destroyer as is possible these days. It has no exotic weaponry, its hangers are standard and it has no special armour or shields.
- Fire Arcs. Whilst it is best at firing forward, the ship can only concentrate 60% of its weapons against left or right at any one time.
With the design of the Coalition fleet coming nicely along, the time had come to build a Star Destroyer. Using experience from his days in the Republic, the Admiral went to Firemane with an idea about how he wanted the ship to be. The result was the Crusader.
Modelled along the design principles of the old Imperator Star Destroyer, the Crusader was designed to create a powerfully armed and protected ship. The key to this was the efficient use of firing arcs, balance of weapons, and distribution of weapons to create a powerful mix. By lining the main batteries along the side of the ship it allowed every gun to be concentrated at a forward enemy, also allowing a powerful broadside if needed. The positioning also allowed these weapons to fire up or down on the vertical plane, something many ships could not easily do. Added to this were the huge prime weapons mounted on the superstructure, massive quad turbo and ion cannons which could give a powerful hit. Of course, this distribution of weapons had one flaw – only 60% of the ship’s weapons could be directed to left or right at one time, but this was not terrible. It emphasised front on attacks whilst still allowing for broadsides and line-breaking though at reduced effect.
An interesting feature is the almost unique placement of several heavy weapon batteries under the ship with a full 360 degree arc of fire. This not only protects the ship from underneath, but also allows it to fire something at enemy behind.
Since the Coalition lacked the resources of the Republic, production of these ships will be slow, and based on requirement. Still, with several hundred systems under their control, and two potential enemies at the gates, the necessity of having multiple Crusaders is emphasised.
With the backing of Firemane, this ship was taken from design to construction, and finally production. Some minor features of the ship had to be cut, including the literacy module and the shrine to Ardarvia, but in return the ship gained some stronger engines and more efficient weapon placements, so it was a worthy standoff.
The Crusader carries some 10,000 crew including marines. More efficient design and automation has allowed this number to be smaller than previous ships.
The Destroyer carries 6 squadrons of attack craft as well as the usual assortment of gunships and dropships. These are launched from a bottom hanger. The usual tactical application is for 5 squadrons of fighters or interceptors and one of bombers, but this can be varied by the mission. All 6 squadrons could be launched very quickly if needed, throwing a large force of attack craft into the battle.
Overall the Crusader is a balanced, vanilla Destroyer, powerful but not without weaknesses. Painted blue to go with the traditional silver of the metal, this forms the capstone of phase one of the Coalition’s fleet design.
Development Thread: YES
Intent: To create a standard Star Destroyer and flagship for the Coalition. This ship will be fairly standard and conventional, with no unusual weapons or materials, and serve as the basic capital ship for the faction. It is a nice balance between speed, firepower and armour, though it excels or fails in none of them.
Who Can Use This: Silver Sanctum Coalition
Primary Source: None