The Utai Media Player
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To provide a means to enhance Force-users' ability to perform Memory Walk on someone or to otherwise make sentients relive memories
- Image Source: Wareable
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon
- Manufacturer: Utai Magic Circle
- Model: Utai Media Player
- Affiliation: Closed-market
- Modularity: Yes: can change the media being played
- Material: Alchemized quantum fiber, electronics
- Can grant the user Force-powered enhanced mental throughput in the context of Memory Walk when it is worn on the target
- Can make sentients relive memories
- Allows to play videos in 4K format
- Memory replay: The Utai Media Player allows users to make a sentient relive memories in their minds
- Enhanced Memory Walk: The Utai Media Player allows users to enhance their skill at using Memory Walk on the person wearing the headset by making the memories all the more vivid through enhanced sensory feelings (such as sound or sight)
- Hi-fi: The Utai Media Player can play media in high-fidelity (and, in the case of video, high resolution)
- Force-nullifiers: The presence of Force-nullifiers can render the Utai Media Player nothing more than an ordinary VR headset.
- Presence: Force-imbuement presence means that unless you somehow hide it, Force-users can detect the headset.
- Heightened headache risks: If the person wearing the headset cannot handle the heightened throughputs when reliving memories, through Memory Walk or otherwise, the wearer's brain will likely get overwhelmed and headaches will likely ensue, sometimes debilitating ones. It's also a hazard that can occur in the people wearing the headset when the Media Player is in NFU use, albeit to a lesser extent
- Force-guzzling: With higher throughputs comes higher expenditures of Force-energy: it will effectively double the users' Force-energy consumption when actively digging up the memories of the target, regardless of their potential to cause pain
- Jamming: If the headset is jammed, its HoloNet capabilities are jammed as well, leaving only the abilities unrelated to the HoloNet, alchemical or not
- Unable to compel people with mental defenses activated to relive memories
DESCRIPTION: With 4K projection technology, it dawned on Janick that she could add a high-resolution screen inside a headset to watch videos in high resolution and with high contrast to the extent it is possible in a VR headset. In addition, enhanced sound technology is available on the machine, allowing videos to be shown through the Media Player with crystal-clear sound. It could also be used for enhancing the ability to use Memory Walk by displaying the memories of the target into its mind with the additional resolution and contrast of 4K resolution, as well as THX1138-quality sound, increasing the vividness of the memories, and hence increasing its potential to feel stronger emotions, including but not limited to, pain into the target. Of course, the enhancements to Memory Walk are available only on the person wearing the headset. Of course, one can download AV media from the HoloNet into the headset using the wireless datachannel.
One can actually use the Media Player in an attempt to make a person relive memories in video form, even on NFUs, while wearing the headset, despite the sometimes mountaineous amounts of memories people may sometimes hold, thanks to a process initially developed by Rokur Gepta in an attempt to torture Lando Calrissian, and later refined by Janick to allow for replaying memories with more positive emotions. The main limitation of the Studio is that it cannot relive memories in sentients in which Force resistance, other defenses against mental intrusions are active or other immunities to mind-affecting powers are present. Another limitation is that, unlike the Gepta device, it is unable to alter memories in any shape or form. And finally, it comes with all the usual weaknesses of alchemy: Force-nullifiers, Force-presence, to name the main ones.