OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: A large non-lethal weapon for specialized battlefield use
- Image Source: Link
- Canon Link: None
- Primary Source: None
- Manufacturer: MandalArms
- Model: BI-2
- Affiliation: Clan Australis
- Modularity: No
- Production: Limited
- Material: Carbonite, Cryo-Ban cells, Fiberplast, Bioorganic circuitry
- Classification: Non-lethal explosive
- Size: Large
- Weight: Very Heavy
- Ammunition Type: Cryonic Explosive with Carbonite Payload
- Ammunition Capacity: 1
- Reload Speed: None
- Effective Range: Battlefield
- Rate of Fire: Very Low
- Stopping Power: Extreme
- Recoil: High
- Carbonite Payload
- Very effective against targets over a wide area
- Indiscriminate - will encase any friendly units in the blast zone
- Too heavy to be dropped by fighter
One of MandalArms' recent key projects was an effective battlefield weapon to neutralize enemy troops without slaughtering them wholesale. The answer was the joint MandalArms/MandalBioEng effort that produced the BI-2.
Combining a large Cryo-Ban explosive with a thick reservoir of highly pressurized carbonite shell It utilizes bioorganic circuitry for maximum efficiency, this rare and devastating weapon is capable of containing an area of enemy. The carbonite expands rapidly, spread by the icy blast wave over a wide area, hardening rapidly and encasing its targets.
The hardened carbonite can be cut by lightsaber or other materials as regular carbonite, but not quickly, easily, or safely, if one is trapped within it.
The blast yield gives an effective radius of total encasement depth of three meters out to about ten meters in all directions from the blast point, assuming a prime detonation altitude of five meters, and splash damage predicted out to about another ten meters, which is also the effective maximum range of the carbonite dispersal effect.
Due to the bomb's weight and size, this needs to be deployed by a heavier craft than a starfighter, or placed for ground detonation.