OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To serve as a basic survival feature and plot device for Dawn Moor and to open up a useful, albeit limited, survival technology for humans without force powers.
- Image Source: https://i.imgur.com/KPMkucm.png (Original image.Exported texture from Dawn Moor's 3D model.Effects added with The Gimp)
- Canon Link: Not applicable.
- Primary Source: Not applicable.
- Manufacturer: Neuro-Saav/BioTech
- Affiliation: Open-Market
- Model: SMPl CBNV3
- Modularity: Firmware can be updated to integrate with various controller chipsets.SMPl system, itself, is not modular and requires full-body integration to function.(A person cannot have a SMPl CyberNerv "patch" on one part of their body due to the power requirements)
Provides monitoring of bodily functions.Monitoring includes:
- Heartbeat pulse and rhythm
- Blood toxicity levels
- Damaged cells
Provides repairs for:
- Damaged cells
- Damaged organ tissue
- Damaged muscular tissue
- Programmable interface
- Subdermal lighting provides informative and cosmetic features such as indicators on the body or programmable glowing tattoos
- Cellular Repair:Damage to skin cells or growths due to abnormal DNA can be detected and repaired over time.
- Run Longer; Sleep Harder (RL;SH): Can facilitate muscle tissue recovery and accelerate cardiovascular efficiency (increase endurance) at a caloric cost.
- Ageless; Age Less: While few can stop the ticking of mortality's clock, the cellular repair functionality can slow the natural aging process.
- Metabolic: Subdermal system is powered metabolically, which is taxing.In order for the body to sustain itself with minimal usage of the SMPl system, it requires consumption of at least double a normal day's calorie count.Extensive usage of the system, such as severe repairs or RL;SH requires exponentially more calories, limiting the power of the SMPl system to a person's capacity to eat.
- Catching Zzzs: Due to the risks and energy constraints of operating the SMPl CyberNerv system while a person is actively awake, the Cellular Repair function can only be activated when the system detects that the user is unconscious.Early models that did not have this restriction induced narcolepsy, nausea, dizziness, and delirium in 100% of all product testers. RL;SH function is an exception, but can only be used in short durations and requires significant caloric consumption before and after use.
- Human only: SMPl system cannot be adapted to other species' physiology
- Force-resistant: Researchers speculate various reasons for why Force-sensitive individuals cannot integrate with the system.All activation attempts have resulted in an immediate failure of the system and inevitable death of the participant.
- Dispensary: Memory plastic is not an organic material, so reproduction requires certain base materials to be absorbed by the skin.Typically, this is obtainable through various market creams or lotions that are rubbed into the skin on a monthly basis.
"Tell me the name, again?"
"And what is a Subdubital-"
"Subdermal Meta-Plastis, sir."
"Whatever-istis. How did you even come up with that name?"
"Think of a layer of skin that's actually a weave of memory plastic and plastisheet. It goes under the skin and can be written to.Programmed."
"So why not just call it programmable memory plastic?"
"Because it's powered metabolically. So, meta-plastis."
"Tell me the real reason."
"...a girl in a cantina asked me what I do for a living. I wanted it to sound impressive."
"Good man. Slap a catchy buzzword to it. Something that starts with the word 'Cyber'."
The Neuro-Saav Corporation's BioTech industries has always specialized in prosthetics and cyborg technology.However, it was especially interested in meeting a market demand for cybernetic enhancement technology.The driver of this market, for a time, was a particular group of wealthy elites who saw prosthetics as inelegant and antiquated.Subdermal systems allowed an individual to retain their natural beauty while still enjoying the perks of cybernetic enhancement.
Unfortunately, the first two SMPl CyberNerv models had a very temporary bubble.The first model did not make it out of testing and was only sold to wealthy individuals who agreed to the risks.Without the sleep monitoring feature, users of the first model found themselves prone to narcolepsy and fits of delirium.An upgraded model was issued immediately after.This model implemented a mandatory sleep requirement and a visual interface displayed on a person's arm to indicate glucose and exhaustion levels.Despite the displays, wealthy elites were extremely dissatisfied at the caloric and sleep requirements and requested immediate deactivation of the system.
Subsequently, the third model, which boasted a programmable interface, saw little demand and production declined.SMPl CBNV3's main market was workers in particularly hazardous environments, such as mines, asteroids, and planets with thin atmospheres, who were particularly susceptible to radiation and toxins.A particular feature of SMPl CBNV3, its RL;SH mode, was lauded by construction workers and miners looking to reduce repetitive stress pain and increase productivity.
Unfortunately for BioTech's profits, even SMPl CBNV3 would not last.The surgery required special training, lots of man-hours, and high expenses.The result, for employers, was a work force that could produce more in the moment, but required more feeding and more rest time in the long run.SMPl CBNV3 was eventually phased out for more favorable, natural supplements.
The technology would not resurface for several decades, where it reemerged in the underground of various sectors.SMPl CBNV3 became a purely cosmetic technology, with its programmable subdermal lighting system offering unlimited combinations of brightness and color.New controller mods allowed brighter, flashier patterns and the caloric requirement served as a bonus feature for many people looking for an extraordinarily slim physique.
How it works:
The SMPl CBNV3 is a subdermal sheet consisting of a blended weave of Memory Plastic and Plastisheet.The Plastisheet layers bind to the Memory Plastic, thereby allowing the Memory Plastic material to subsist for a longer period of time.The Memory Plastic layers, meanwhile, are recognized by the body and remain, with the exception of force-sensitive individuals, allergy-free after the infusion process is complete.The Meta-plastis system, the subskin materials comprising the body of the system, is controlled via a central controller at the base of the neck, akin to various other cybernetic chips on the market.
Originally, introduction of the SMPl CBNV systems required precise surgical insertion followed by two standard months of recovery time.Since medical technology has advanced, a new procedure for system infusion reduced the recovery time to a maximum of two weeks.Infusion of the system into the body first involves a preparation where a subdermal primer is spread evenly across the body.The primer is absorbed into the epidermal layers sinks into the lower layers.Once the primer has established a proper subdermal layer across the entire body, a single injection directly into the primer layer allows the Meta-Plastis system to fill the body.The next three-to-five days will see the user's antibodies break down the primer.This causes a period of mild swelling and itching.Ice baths are a common post-operative recommendation.
Once the swelling has subsided, a second treatment of the Meta-Plastis material is added.As this is a thicker layer, another three-to-five days is given to allow the layer to form more permanently.During the first 10 days of the procedure, physical movement is highly discouraged as "bubbles" in the subdermal system can form.
After the system has settled, the controller chip can be inserted.The controller chip is a standard firmware chip that is seated at the base of the neck and top of the spine.The controller chip is truly the heart - or brain, more aptly - of the subdermal system.The Meta-Plastis layers are a secondary nervous system and serve two functions: as input, for data analysis, and for endomaterial transportation, whether it be flushing toxins from the system or a delivery of freshly reproduced blood-cells into the body.
The controller chip is the logical component of the SMPl system.It creates a matrix of signals throughout the meta-plastis layers and interprets various interactions with the signal matrix as useful data for deriving various sorts of internal states.
Additional to these functions, the controller chip manages a dispensary, housing a synthetic organ for the reproduction of healthy cells as well as fresh new layers of memory plastic that's delivered through the meta-plastis layers throughout the body.While the subskin layers of the SIMPl CyberNerv system are not replaceable, the controller chip is designed to be modular.This allows some flexibility in firmware, in upgrades, and the potential adaption of other chips.However, existing power limitations of the SMPl CyberNerv system must be considered before adapting any additional functionality.
As of models SMPl CBNV2 and onward, the SMPl CyberNerv system added a dispensary, housed near the thyroid and connected directly to the controller chip. Within the dispensary is a small, biological organ that is produced using sample DNA from the wearer.The organ is responsible for producing the cells and antibodies that are delivered through the subdermal system. Organ growth typically requires two-to-three days.
Additional to the synthetic organ is a production and dispensary that repairs and replenishes the memory plastic and plastisheet materials of the system.Oils and creams are absorbed through the skin and are directed by the subdermal layers to the dispensary, where they are broken down along with reduced biological materials (such as carbon and proteins), then recombined and distributed throughout the body.
Although SMPl CBNV3's current market is rare, given its history, most modern use cases are found in the underground raves, where the system's creative lightning offers a certain attractive appeal.Some local governments on planets with decreasing atmosphere have acquired some units of SMPl CBNV3, in hopes to mitigate an increase in radiation poisoning and death.
Given the flexible nature of the control unit, some people have attempted to pair the control unit with artificial intelligence.However, the result has been tenuous at best.The consequences of deferring decision-making to an artificial intelligence is a subdermal system that operates on its own accord, which is often not in the best interest of its wearer.As such, it is recommended to only use statically programmed control units.