OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: To provide a location for Project Renanscence
Military Base Name: Renanscence Medical Center
Classification: Military Hospital Base
Population: Moderate: The above ground and unclassified population of Renanscence medical center is fairly small, with a large number of medical staff and recovering patients. Several hundred sentientbeings, mostly human, form the organic core of the primarily droid-based Boz Pity Heavy Recon Regiment, and there are a small number of navy personnel who man the rescue craft and several starfighter squadrons dedicated to escorting the same rescue craft and supply convoys that make runs to the hospital.
Demographics: Renanscence Medical Center is a restricted to medical, military personnel and Jedi affiliated personnel only, which means that the population is frequently young to middle aged professionals. The exception to this rule are the small numbers of native Gargantelle who reside on base as part of Project Renanscence (65% human, 2% Gargantelle, 33% other)
Accessibility: Renanscence Medical Center's location is unclassified, as all public information on the base describes it as a simple military hospital. The actual underground portion of the Medical Center is classified and access is severely restricted by biometric security measures such as code cylinders. Not even all of the Medical Centers medical staff is aware of the underground activity of Project Renanscence. Being on a "dead world", however, there is no real need for the public to ever visit the base except in medical emergencies. In such instances, visitors are accompanied every step of the way by ISAF security personnel (typically a detail from the Boz Pity Heavy Recon Regiment) or by a member of the Silver Jedi Order.
Description: To most observers, Renanscence Medical Center and its surrounding grounds is the Silver Jedi's regional medical facility for the Halla Sector. As befitting such a facility, the Medical Center has extensive inpatient wards for treating injured soldiers and other government affiliated personnel. But behind this dull facade, Renanscence Medical Center is the site of Project Renanscence, or the rebirth of the Gargantelle race once thought extinct through genocide by the Electric Caliphs hundreds of years ago. Caverns underneath the hospital allow the Gargantelle to receive Silver Jedi aid and also allow study of Gargantelle biology, which has lead to the discovery and refinement of several drugs which have since spread throughout Silver Jedi space. Because of this strategic importance of this project, Renanscence Medical Center hosts concealed defenses, including internal shield generators, concealed anti-orbital artillery, and the Boz Pity Heavy Recon Regiment. Despite these safeguards, the Silver Jedi secretly fear that one day, the Gargantelle's reemergence will be discovered too early, and the base will be forced to reveal of its secrets to the galaxy at large.
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Renanscence Medical Center: A massive, squat building that started out as an old CIS base before expansion by the Silver Jedi turned it into a state of the art hospital with a 300 inpatient beds and comprehensive ancillary services. Aside from providing Sector level medical resources to the Silver Jedi and ISAF, Renanscence Medical Center is also known as a government research hospital, with several upper floors being dedicated to studying prosthetics and multi-species coagulation. Most of the lower levels are dedicated to providing general patient care. The ground floor does host a visitor center along with a morale, welfare, and entertainment section contractedout to be run by Sasori Hostesses. While for most intents and purposes the Medical Center is an almost generic hospital, the building itself is fortified, being made out of duracrete with ferrocarbon reinforcement and Guardian-class Shield Generators. Renanscence Medical Center has no weapons or other means of offense as befitting a noncombatant medical center with international treaty obligations. The upper level of Renanscence Medical Center appears to be an enclosed greenhouse, supposedly to provide therapeutic and natural environment for patients on an otherwise desolate and barren world. In actuality though, most of the plants on this green level are Rostek's Hybrids, which allows the ISAF researchers an unusual way to secure the information of Project Renanscence.
- Concealed Defensive Batteries: As an apparent backwater hospital, Renanscence Medical Center only appears to be lightly defended by a series of Light AA guns at the located around perimeter of the hospital grounds. Because of the actual strategic nature of the facility, however, the base also sports six Scorpio-class Artillery Emplacements hidden inside the maze of Gargantelle monuments situated around the hospital grounds. This emplacements are hidden visually by retractable walls and/or roofs that appear to be Gargantelle monuments. With their firepower combined, they can very quickly damage some of the largest warships in the galaxy. Unfortunately, they rely more on their hidden nature for protection, meaning that they are likely to be casualties in protracted engagement. These artillery emplacements are entirely manned by droids.
- Project Renanscence Caverns: Project Renanscence necessitates a large amount of interaction between the Gargantelles and the Silver Jedi. Because of their great size, Gargantelles cannot fit into standard buildings, extremely large caverns were carefully hollowed out underneath the hospital facility, allowing the Gargantelle to comfortably obtain treatment and medical studies with Project Renanscence staff. This area has a large number of extremely large exam tables and other oversized medical equipment tailored for use with the Gargantelles. It also houses several chemistry laboratories to study the Gargantelle's blood work and reactions to experimental drugs, along with a pharmacy. Lastly, one cavern has been equipped to serve a conference room, allowing Gargantelles and the Silver Jedi to discuss their concerns and issues with Project Renanscence.
- Hidden Gargantelle Village: One of the stasis compounds communities in which the Gargantelle have survived in has been relocated to a cavern adjourning the Project Renanscence caverns. Some Gargantelle have opted to remain in stasis there, but a larger number have set about to rebuilding their culture with Silver Jedi assistance. While nearing practical independence thanks to underground hydroponic farms, an underground industrial shop, and basic civilian infrastructure, the Gargantelle at the village are reliant on the Silver Jedi right now for more sophisticated products such as medicines and technology, as well as many raw materials needed for their own means of production.
- Boz Pity Heavy Recon Compound: The Boz Pity Heavy Recon Regiment has a small set of above ground barracks located about half kilometer from Renanscence Medical Center itself. Right next to the barracks are a small motor pool for the Regiment's walkersand MDUs, along with a Fuel Point. While small and modest on the outside, much of the Regiment's infrastructure is actually beneath this compound in caverns and tunnels, where hundreds of walkers and deactivated Hoplite Synthetic Soldiers lay in wait to be activated. Turbolifts from these caverns bring up these troops into the covered motor pool shop, or to locations hidden within the Gargantelle monuments that surround the base. This compound is also protected by a Guardian-class Shield Generator, providing the immediate area with a means of defense against orbital bombardment and airstrikes.
- Zek Memorial Starship Hangar: Just south of the Boz Pity Recon Regiment's compound is a large hangar where the base's starship complement is based. Starfighters based in the hangar provide escort to medical and supply transports arriving or departing from the Medical Center. This includes the dozen Sprint-class Rescue Craft which act as interstellar ambulances for the area. The hangar area also hosts a landing strip where large amounts of patients are transported to and from the medical center by Pelta II-class Frigates. As fitting for a backwater world, the hangars seems cheap and just barely maintained to international standards. This is largely true, though that appearance belies the fact that the hangar does incorporate a fully-functioning Guardian-class Shield Generator, which makes this location more durable than what first meets the eye. The Recon Regiment also frequently sends walkers by the hangar, in part for security spot checks, and in part because several entryways into the maze of Gargantelle monuments around the base in that same general area.
- Guardian-class Shield Generators (Building coverage only)
- Medical Center made out of Duracrete reinforced with Ferrocarbon with Turadium blast doors
- 6 concealed Scorpio-class Artillery Emplacements (Concealed in Gargantelle monuments around hospital grounds)
- 12 "Fly Swatter" Light AA Guns based around perimeter of Medical Center grounds
- Boz Pity Heavy Recon Regiment (~3000 soldiers with regimental assigned vehicles)
- 1 Company of Mechanized Medical Technicians (~120 droids)
- Gargantelle Warriors (20-30 individuals at a given time)
Following the Silver Sanctum Coalition's arrival on Boz Pity, the Silver Jedi became aware that the planet's native Gargantelle had not in fact become entirely extinct. This led to somewhat tense start of a relationship between the two cultures, as the small number of Gargantelle's sought to rebuild their civilization. The Silver Jedi Order sought to aid the Gargantelle population largely by improving their basic healthcare and providing basic supplies to the survivors. To do this required logistical support, and consequently a facility. But to undertake a massive and open construction process would be to inform the outside galaxy, notably the Hutts, that the Gargantelles had survived despite their apparent demise at the hands of the Electric Caliphs. To hide this activity, the Silver Jedi began to rebuild the old CIS base on the planet, which had been known to the galaxy at large to be a medical facility. Refurbished once more, this facility does appear to the outside world to be a regional military treatment facility for ISAF forces working in the Silver Jedi's eastern half, as well as a research facility for prosthetics and multi-species coagulation studies. While it does fulfill this role, Renanscence Medical Center also has expanded tremedously underground to serve the native Gargantelle population in their nearby underground village. Supplies trickle for this population trickle in through standard supply drops, but the facility also hosts production facilities of its own to synthesize drugs for use by the Gargantelle population itself. This necessarily has required a large amount of interdisciplinary research not only by scientists and medical personnel, but also anthropologists, consular Jedi, diplomats, and Jedi healers. Some research from the facility born in this area has also born fruit and filtered out and back into the Silver Jedi territories at large. Unbeknownst to many, several antibiotics in ISAF field medical kits are derived from the hardy bacterial flora of the Gargantelle species. Another is a CoFast, a coagulant used to stop severe bleeding in combat trauma cases. This medication has been formed after the genetic study of the Gargantelle's own proteins involved in the species coagulation cascade. Needless to say, the success of this project has caused the ISAF to devote more resources into quietly building up its defenses to protect this new asset. This has resulted in the formation of the Boz Pity Heavy Recon Regiment - "The Outrider Rangers" being formed and based in subterranean passages around the medical center, along with some hidden defenses, notably an sextet of Scorpio-class Artillery Emplacements hidden within fake Gargantelle monuments around the medical center, as well as retrofitting the hospital itself with Guardian-class Shield Generators. Despite ISAF trying primarily to defend the installation by subterfuge, its true nature may be revealed to the public soon, as several Gargantelle leaders have been agitating to publically reveal themselves to the galaxy so far, though their numbers are still quite small. This has lead to continued secret negotiations at Renanscence Medical Center between the Gargantelle elders and leaders from the Silver Jedi.