Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caught a bat!

So when I'm not doing wetland work, I'm likely out trapping bats if it's summer time. My schedule has shifted to 8 hour shifts at night UNLESS we catch a northern long eared bat. When that happens, we shave it's head, put a tracker on, and chase it through the woods during the day and then go trap at night. So until I know that I'm not on tracker duty (i prolly am), it will be slow posting for me for the next few days. Happy Independence day and stuff :)

[member="Ijaat Akun"], [member="Azrael"], [member="Vrag"], [member="Matsu Xiangu"], [member="Darth Venefica"]

edit: obligatory pic

11665375_10100469412685329_7789545039309196379_n.jpg

Reverance said:
So when I'm not doing wetland work, I'm likely out trapping bats if it's summer time. My schedule has shifted to 8 hour shifts at night UNLESS we catch a northern long eared bat. When that happens, we shave it's head, put a tracker on, and chase it through the woods during the day and then go trap at night. So until I know that I'm not on tracker duty (i prolly am), it will be slow posting for me for the next few days. Happy Independence day and stuff :)

[member="Ijaat Akun"], [member="Azrael"], [member="Vrag"], [member="Matsu Xiangu"], [member="Darth Venefica"]

edit: obligatory pic

11665375_10100469412685329_7789545039309196379_n.jpg

I found an Indiana Bat with a broken wing once. Named it Harrison.

[member="Olivia Dem'adas"]

Indiana bats are actually more or less cave bats, though we do look/trap/tag them when we find them (I do most of my trapping in the woods). They are one of the longest running listed (endangered) species of bat in America.

sabrina

[member="Reverance"] I have heard a rumor that they might found a way stopping white nose syndrome. Which is major problem in the us, uk bats appear to be immune to it.

[member="sabrina"]

Not a rumor, they are currently working on a bacteria along with a procedure for delivery.

As for WNS in the UK, and Europe. The bats aren't immune (that I know of), I just don't think it's a very prolific fungus in terms of international travel. In truth, there are some bats that are far more susceptible to WNS than others. And that's not regionally caused but more due to whether the bat winter hibernates or not.

sabrina

[member="Reverance"] I know eu bats on the continent has a strain similar to usa one. Though it does not kill them, like the usa bats

My favourite bat is the common pipistrelle

Though I have got experience with uk bats

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom