Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could Someone Give me Advice on Crafting a Compelling Jedi Character for Roleplay?

Hello there,

I have recently joined this community and to be honest I am loving this so far. I am particularly; interested in creating a Jedi character;, but I want to ensure that my character is well rounded and compelling, with a rich backstory and engaging personality traits. I have read through some of the incredible; stories and character profiles here;, and I am hoping to get some advice and insights from the experienced members of this forum.

What are some key elements to include in a Jedi's backstory to make it interesting and believable? How can I tie my character's history into the larger Star Wars universe while avoiding cliches?

What are some unique personality traits or quirks that could make my Jedi stand out? I am looking for traits that would influence; their interactions with others and their approach to the Force.

Every great character has their own set of challenges. What kinds of internal and external conflicts would be fitting for a Jedi; and how can I incorporate these into my roleplay; to create a more dynamic character?

Also; I have gone through this post: https://www.starwarsrp.net/threads/how-to-write-a-sith-part-tableau-character-creation.79799/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

Any general advice on portraying a Jedi in a way that is true to the Star Wars lore but also allows for personal creativity? What are some common pitfalls to avoid when writing a Jedi character?

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Demon Demon

First of all welcome! I am glad you found this community of writers, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

The question you pose is a great one, and while I know you want to avoid cliches, I would worry less about that and focus more on what you want in a character. A little bit of cliche or typical tropes aren’t bad especially if you’re putting a unique spin on it. A favorite quote of mine is there is nothing new under the sun. What once was will be again.

That being said…

Backstory: Start with age and where they’re at and work backwards. Answer questions like what significant life events could have led to this.

Ex. My first iteration of this character was a con artist that ran into a Jedi which taught him a lesson about using the force to scam people, that led to him eventually joining the Jedi. His family turned their back on him because he was force sensitive and criminal gave him what he was missing until the Jedi showed him a better way.

As far as the larger story, Chaos is such a large sandbox that you could pick up recent events and build from there… maybe your character is a product of the Second Great Hyperspace War. The writers in the Galactic Alliance could certainly help with that. Maybe you want to write a young padawan… there is a crew of them running around right now that could give you an instant core writing group.

Traits: Pick a fatal flaw. Every hero has their fatal flaw and it is what will most color your characters interaction with the force. One of my characters is so full of self doubt it literally limits his potential in the force.

From there just think about the personality you want. Are they witty, sarcastic, stoic, intelligent, dense as a rock? Another thing that could impact their interaction with the force is their species… are they Human, Rodian, an Ewok?

This is how I go about characters anyway… then I let them develop over time. Character Development through role play is one of my favorite things along with weaving webs and tendrils of my story with the stories others are writing. It’s a great way to expand or grow a character that has a few basic, but important, questions answered.

I hope this helps! Feel free to DM if you have any questions or need help with anything.

Cheers!
Judah

Best advice I can give you is to write what you think is cool.

There is no definitive Jedi, believe it or not. Different eras have different ideals. Look up a list of virtues, pick some ones you think are cool, and have your character chase those ideals through their meditations, training, and service to a greater cause. Being a Jedi isn't about being a hero. It's about being disciplined, driven, and able to do the right thing.

You want to wear a leather jacket while you do it? Sure. You want to wear a traditional haori while you do it? Sure. Your want some bath robes? Sure.

Write the character you want and challenge the status quo. Those are the best Jedi characters. Plenty of people are loading ideas that fit into an order or government. Create a character that walks their own path, guided by the force.

THAT'S A JEDI.

EDIT: You can DM me on site or add me on Discord at vespertinedream. We can cook up a character if you like. I'm something of a JEDI ENTHUSIAST.

Major Faction

Syn

Nimir-ra to Iella, Jedi Shadow
Some of the better advice is above. Make the character how you want, someone you are going to want to use for longer then a niche or day. Have fun with it and it can verge into the realm of strange or silly. Star wars is a large sandbox and chaos itself blew that sandbox open by several dozen factors. We are in a time far removed from any of the canon, legends or disney. YOu have a mixture of advanced, classical and middle ground beliefs, technology and ideals all swirling around. There are at times old republic style jedi, je'daii, new republic style jedi, pre ruusan army of light jedi, post dogmatic jedi all in the same group at the same time alone.

So you can be anything you want just enjoy it. When it comes to flaws and personality, I don't wholly agree with Judah but he makes the best part of it. Something unique to the character that drives them. Syn for example is a jedi master who was a sithspawn imprisoned by the jedi and over several hundred years brought over to the light and he works with that. Hunting other sithspawn. My other master is career jedi who advances the order and works to make it so that a purge would be next to impossible to ever happen again. Matsu has developed back ups, redundancies, fostered force based technological wonders that would secure and hide away the jedi so they could hopefully never be wiped away again.

Or you could go the route of some. Sor-Jan and Julius are staunchly Corellian jedi, they usually appear around those worlds more often. Being tied to a planet and the deeper lore available. A few worlds have things like that in legends and some on chaos. Or can travel the wider galaxy like Coren and just help out whever. So no limit on choices just what you would like to do and what makes it fun though it is also good to have a mixture of writing partner or rotating people you rp with. I have threaded with Sera and Hanna for years often in a single thread or twowhile also running around with other people and it makes for different scenarios and situations.

Just have fun with it.

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan Kyric Kyric Syn Syn I apologize if I repeat anything you guys said I was already writing for awhile when you posted - Thank you very much!

Demon Demon

Hey there! <3

I've moved this to a section of the forum where you might be able to get some feedback.

TLDR: It's different for everyone. There are infinite ways to skin this cat and we're all free to agree or disagree with each other. (Don't just take my word for it...Take a peek at some of the different profiles in the Character Creation.)

We can't create a character for you because it should be something you enjoy and find interesting. Not just something we might "expect" to see. Writing for yourself is important so you can enjoy and take pride in it. Starting small and exploring the genre if you're not too familiar can also help when you're new, plus, you don't need to have a fully realized character profile to begin. Just the basics are enough. You can always change or add to a character profile as you go. Check out Thread Types in Open Roleplay. Trying a few public threads, "First Reply (In the open roleplaying section)", "Looking For Group", or even some Private or Solo options can help you get a handle on it.

Interacting on Discord is totally optional but it is there for you as well.

But, here are a few general things I might consider. (This is not law please do not take it as such...Just some suggestions. We get a lot of our information from the Wookiepedia so don't hesitate to use it as a resource. This is the current SWRP Timeline.)

Consider Backstory:
  • Origin: Where are they from? Are they from a known planet like Tatooine or Coruscant, or somewhere more obscure? Do they have family? Are they following the "Old Ways" where they were taken in by the Jedi when they were young? Do they follow the "Jedi Family" route?
  • The Force: How were they discovered to be Force-sensitive? Was it dramatic or subtle? Was it through an unusual event or a chance encounter? What sort of Force abilities do they have? How do they perceive and interact with the Force? Do they have a unique connection or a special way of using it? Do they see the Force as purely a tool for good, or do they understand its nuances and potential dangers? Are they completely loyal to the Jedi Order (any of them, there are several versions, types, and different sects like the Green Jedi) or do they have reservations about some of its teachings?
  • General Abilities/Hobbies: Jedi can also have non-force-related gifts. Do they have any special skills or knowledge, such as diplomacy, healing, or mechanics? Do they paint in their free time?
  • Training: Who trained them? Was it a well-known Jedi Master or a lesser-known one? Were they trained with a particular faction or enclave? Do they prefer to use non-lethal techniques and disarming tactics in combat, focusing on subduing opponents without harm? Or do they lean toward more final solutions?
Personality and Traits:
  • Strengths and Weaknesses: Most writers seem to balance their abilities to some degree organically. For example, they might be strong in diplomacy but struggle with combat, or vice versa. But there's no rule on that. You can make them as powerful or as weak as you want. You can adjust this at any time and even scale it forward or back as the character progresses. There is no "ranking" system so you can start with a Padawan, Knight, Master, or any level in between. Highlighting both sides of the coin (Ex. Strengths (such as wisdom, bravery) and weaknesses (such as impulsiveness, doubt) can help too. Both PVP (combat, fighting) related and otherwise. There's no need to stress on any of this...It could be as simple as "My character can't cook" and that's lovely.
  • View on Jedi Code: How strictly do they adhere to it? Are they a traditionalist or do they interpret the code more liberally?
  • Personal Quirks: Give them unique traits, like a specific way of speaking, a love for ancient Jedi lore, a habit of meditating through interpretive dance, seeing colors or sounds when they interact with the force, etc...There's no complete list I can give here. But here's the Wookie for Jedi Culture. They could be empathic or perhaps have an extreme fascination with star charts.

Conflict and Growth:
  • Internal Conflict: What personal struggles do they face? This could be doubt about the Jedi path, fear of the dark side, or reconciling their past. Do they believe in the militant light or are they more of a pacifist?
  • Goals and Ambitions: What do they aspire to achieve? This could be becoming a Jedi Master, bringing peace to a troubled region, or finding a lost artifact.
  • Relationships: Do they have any mentors, allies, or rivals? Friends or more? (They can even be NPC's to help you flesh out the story.)
  • Note: Just like everything else here these are just random general examples...There are MANY avenues to take. Do what makes you happy!

Appearance and Gear:
  • The Drip and Fit: How complicated or simple you go with this is completely up to you...But things like the color of their lightsaber or if they have any distinguishing features like scars or tattoos can help. Do they wear clothing or accessories that reflect their cultural heritage? Or strictly traditional Jedi attire? Are they tall, short, furry, near-human, or completely alien? There are countless species to choose from on the Wookie and in the SWRP Codex so you can pretty much go ham in that regard. You can even make your own!
  • Unique Equipment: Do they have any special or customized gear? One lightsaber or two? Perhaps a unique hilt for their lightsaber or a rare Jedi relic or Holocron.

Role in the Story:
  • Purpose: What role do they play from your perspective? Are they a leader, a healer, a scout, or something else? Are they experienced, new, or somewhere in between? What specific challenges do they face, and how do they overcome them? Do they have a temper they are trying to mind? Are they from a poor world with a lot of conflict? A rich one with a lot of corruption? Are they the son of a Senator and face conflict between attachment and or the policies/views of the Senator?

Do they have an irrational fear of Jawa? xD - You get the idea.
Conclusion:

Do what makes you happy on SWRP. Jedi are very versatile and come in many forms...The only limit on that is what you creatively might set for yourself. Most people have a character out there with a cliche or two and that's perfectly fine! Do you enjoy writing the character?

Aside from minding the General/Roleplay Rules...That is all that matters.

Demon Demon

Designing a character from the ground up can be an exciting process. Think about creating someone you would enjoy playing and consider themes that resonate with you personally. Reflect on how these themes have influenced characters you admire, but make your creation uniquely yours. Consider the character's upbringing, the obstacles they face, and how these experiences have shaped their personality.

Give your character realistic goals with varying time frames that they can work towards and achieve. Determine the character's ethos and provide supporting reasons for their beliefs. A useful method for breathing life into your character and making them believable is to use Ash's Guide for inspiration and to explore different aspects of core traits and then character development:

Ash's Guide

Balance good and negative traits to create a well-rounded character. Negative traits can be turned to strengths, and positive traits can sometimes lead to challenges. Explore their interests and hobbies to add depth.

Many people create characters and quickly move on when the initial spark fades. Instead, invest in your character and give them problems that affect their function in some way, challenging yourself to write them through these issues. Sticking with one character allows for more fulfilling development rather than relying on gimmicks alone. Consider their worldview and how they impose it, or not, on others.

When writing a Jedi character, it depends on what kind of Jedi you want to portray. Some may criticize your idea for not fitting the traditional mold, but remember that even established Jedi can deviate from standards. The essence of a Jedi character is reflected in their spirituality, beliefs, discipline, training, connection with the Force, roles, responsibilities, social structure, and hierarchy.

Research various Jedi characters, their beliefs, and focus areas. Use inspiration from canon characters to build your own Jedi or introduce a new spin on things.

A helpful exercise in character creation is to use tropes. Tropes / Archetypes exist for a reason and can help you tell an effective story and develop your character. Just be cautious not to overuse them. Here are some examples of Jedi archetypes and corresponding tropes:
(Archetypes refer more to a role, whereas tropes refer more to a personality. So a 'mentor' archetype is a character who plays a role of guiding and teaching a main character.)

1. Jedi Guardian

• Role: Focuses on martial skills and combat, serving as frontline defenders of peace.
  • Tropes:
    • The Knight in Shining Armor: Heroic and brave, always protecting the innocent.
    • The Soldier: Highly disciplined, follows orders, dedicated to their mission.
    • The Protector: Shields the weak, putting themselves in harm's way to safeguard others.

2. Jedi Consular

• Role: Specializes in diplomacy, healing, and the study of the Force. Often advisors, healers, and scholars.
  • Tropes:
    • The Sage: Wise and knowledgeable, offering guidance and insight.
    • The Healer: Mends wounds, both physical and emotional, striving for peace and harmony.
    • The Diplomat: Skilled in negotiation and conflict resolution, using words and wisdom to resolve disputes.

3. Jedi Sentinel

• Role: Balances combat skills with knowledge of the Force and practical skills such as investigation, espionage, and technical expertise.
  • Tropes:
    • The Detective: Investigates crimes and mysteries with keen observation and problem-solving skills.
    • The Spy: Operates covertly to gather intelligence and undermine threats.
    • The Technician: Skilled in technology and engineering, often using gadgets and technical know-how.

4. Jedi Watchman

• Role: Assigned to specific regions or planets, acting as guardians and peacekeepers with deep connections to the local populace.
  • Tropes:
    • The Lone Ranger: Operates independently, watching over their territory.
    • The Local Hero: Beloved by the community, seen as a protector and ally.
    • The Mentor: Guides individuals or small groups, fostering growth and development.

5. Jedi Shadow

• Role: Hunts down and eliminates dark side threats, including Sith and dark side artifacts.
  • Tropes:
    • The Dark Avenger: Relentlessly pursues and destroys evil.
    • The Vigilante: Takes extreme measures to combat darkness, often outside traditional boundaries.
    • The Silent Guardian: Protects the galaxy from hidden threats, often unnoticed and unthanked.

6. Jedi Artisan

• Role: Focuses on crafting, creating lightsabers and other Force-imbued artifacts.
  • Tropes:
    • The Craftsman: Masters the art of creation, producing items of beauty and power.
    • The Innovator: Seeks new ways to use the Force in their creations.
    • The Hermit: Works in solitude, dedicated to their craft away from distractions.

7. Jedi Sage

• Role: Immersed in the study of the Force and ancient lore, serving as historians and philosophers.
  • Tropes:
    • The Scholar: Pursues knowledge, often found with ancient texts and artifacts.
    • The Philosopher: Contemplates the deeper meanings and mysteries of the Force.
    • The Archivist: Preserves Jedi history and teachings for future generations.

Examples of Specific Jedi Characters

1. Jedi Guardian: Anakin Skywalker

• Wookieepedia: Anakin Skywalker
  • Tropes:
    • The Knight in Shining Armor: Anakin embodies heroism and bravery, often leading the charge in battle and protecting his comrades.
    • The Soldier: He is a disciplined and highly skilled warrior, respected by his peers for his combat prowess.
    • The Protector: Anakin is fiercely protective of those he cares about, sometimes to a fault.
    • TV Tropes: Anakin Skywalker (For more tropes related to Anakin Skywalker)

2. Jedi Consular: Yoda

• Wookieepedia: Yoda
  • Tropes:
    • The Sage: Yoda is the epitome of wisdom and knowledge, often providing profound guidance to other Jedi.
    • The Healer: While Yoda is more of a spiritual healer, his presence brings calm and peace to those around him.
    • The Diplomat: Yoda frequently engages in diplomacy and negotiation, seeking peaceful resolutions to conflicts.
    • TV Tropes: Yoda (For more tropes related to Yoda)

3. Jedi Sentinel: Bastila Shan

• Wookieepedia: Bastila Shan
  • Tropes:
    • The Detective: Bastila's role often involves uncovering secrets and understanding the nuances of the Force and her enemies.
    • The Spy: She operates in a stealthy manner during missions, often gathering critical intelligence.
    • The Technician: Bastila is adept with technology, using her skills to navigate and manipulate various systems during her quests.

4. Jedi Watchman: Qui-Gon Jinn

• Wookieepedia: Qui-Gon Jinn
  • Tropes:
    • The Lone Ranger: Qui-Gon frequently operates independently, following his own path and instincts.
    • The Local Hero: He develops strong connections with those he encounters, often earning their respect and admiration.
    • The Mentor: Qui-Gon takes young Anakin Skywalker under his wing, guiding him with a mix of unconventional wisdom and paternal care.

5. Jedi Shadow: Jaden Korr

• Wookieepedia: Jaden Korr
  • Tropes:
    • The Dark Avenger: Jaden Korr is relentless in his pursuit of dark side practitioners, hunting them down to protect the galaxy.
    • The Vigilante: He often takes extreme measures to ensure that the dark side is eradicated, sometimes bending the rules of the Order.
    • The Silent Guardian: Jaden operates in secrecy, focusing on his mission without seeking recognition or praise.

6. Jedi Artisan: Huyang

• Wookieepedia: Huyang
  • Tropes:
    • The Craftsman: Huyang is a master lightsaber architect, helping young Jedi construct their own weapons with precision and care.
    • The Innovator: He constantly seeks new ways to improve lightsaber construction and functionality, sharing his vast knowledge with the Order.
    • The Hermit: Huyang often works in solitude, dedicated to his craft and the preservation of lightsaber lore.

7. Jedi Sage: Jocasta Nu

• Wookieepedia: Jocasta Nu
  • Tropes:
    • The Scholar: Jocasta Nu is the chief librarian of the Jedi Archives, dedicating her life to the preservation and study of knowledge.
    • The Philosopher: She provides insights into the history and philosophy of the Jedi, often contemplating the deeper meanings of the Force.
    • The Archivist: Jocasta ensures that the vast knowledge of the Jedi Order is meticulously documented and preserved for future generations.
For a general reference on archetypes, you can visit:

These archetypes provide a range of personalities and roles within the Jedi Order, allowing for rich storytelling and dynamic character development.

For further examples of specific Jedi characters, you can explore canon characters and their corresponding tropes. This can offer inspiration for building your own Jedi or trying a new spin on established themes.

Another useful tool for character creation is "The Hero's Journey," a narrative framework identified by Joseph Campbell in "The Hero with a Thousand Faces." It outlines common stages found in many myths and stories across cultures. Here is an overview of the Hero's Journey:

1. The Ordinary World

• Description: The hero's normal life before the adventure begins. Establishes the hero's environment and personal context.
  • Example: Luke Skywalker living on Tatooine as a farm boy.

2. The Call to Adventure

• Description: The hero is presented with a challenge or adventure that requires leaving their ordinary world.
  • Example: Luke receiving the message from Princess Leia via R2-D2.

3. Refusal of the Call

• Description: The hero may initially hesitate or refuse the call due to fear or doubt.
  • Example: Luke initially refusing to join Obi-Wan Kenobi on his mission.

4. Meeting the Mentor

• Description: The hero meets a mentor who provides guidance and assistance.
  • Example: Luke meets Obi-Wan Kenobi, who begins his training in the Force.

5. Crossing the Threshold

• Description: The hero commits to the adventure and enters a new, unknown world.
  • Example: Luke leaves Tatooine with Obi-Wan and others.

6. Tests, Allies, and Enemies

• Description: The hero faces tests and challenges, meets allies, and confronts enemies.
  • Example: Luke forming alliances with Han Solo and Princess Leia.

7. Approach to the Inmost Cave

• Description: The hero approaches a major challenge or crisis.
  • Example: Luke and his allies plan the attack on the Death Star.

8. The Ordeal

• Description: The hero faces a major hurdle or life-and-death crisis.
  • Example: Luke's final attack run on the Death Star.

9. The Reward

• Description: After overcoming the ordeal, the hero receives a reward.
  • Example: Luke and his allies receive medals for bravery.

10. The Road Back

• Description: The hero begins the journey back to the ordinary world, facing additional challenges.
  • Example: Luke and the Rebels prepare for further conflicts.

11. The Resurrection

• Description: The hero faces a final test, experiencing a form of rebirth.
  • Example: Luke's confrontation with Darth Vader and the Emperor.

12. Return with the Elixir

• Description: The hero returns to the ordinary world with new wisdom or an item that can help others.
  • Example: Luke returns as a true Jedi Knight, ready to rebuild the Jedi Order.
The Hero's Journey is a powerful tool for understanding story structure and character transformation, emphasizing growth and the overcoming of challenges.

My final advice is if you are unsure, start with a neophyte character who is not skilled or well-known, such as a Padawan or an initiate, and let them grow as you write. Think of the hero's journey framework when developing a new Jedi character to help track and set up events for their growth.

In addition to crafting the core aspects of your character, the way you write can significantly breathe life into them. Here's how focusing on your writing style can enhance your character narrative:

Descriptive, Reflective, and Narrative Style:

Using a descriptive, reflective, and narrative style allows you to delve deep into the psyche and surroundings of your character. This style not only paints vivid pictures of the world your character inhabits but also provides insight into their inner thoughts and emotions. It creates a layered, immersive experience for the reader, making the character's journey more engaging and relatable.

Elaborate Descriptions:

Elaborate descriptions help to build a rich, detailed world that enhances the believability of your character. By carefully describing settings, actions, and physical appearances, you can transport the reader into the story. This attention to detail can also highlight subtle aspects of your character's personality and background, providing clues about their past and motivations.

Themes of Growth and Struggle:

Exploring themes of growth and struggle adds depth to your character's journey. Characters who face and overcome obstacles tend to be more dynamic and compelling. By showing their vulnerabilities, failures, and triumphs, you create a narrative arc that resonates with readers. This makes the character's achievements feel earned and their development more satisfying.

Mature Themes and Content:

Incorporating mature themes and content can add complexity to your character and story. Addressing issues such as loss, betrayal, love, and redemption can create a narrative that appeals to a more mature audience. It allows you to explore the darker and more profound aspects of human experience, adding layers to your character's personality and motivations.

Immersive and Detailed Storytelling:

Immersive storytelling pulls the reader into the character's world. Detailed storytelling involves not just visual descriptions but also the sounds, smells, and textures of the environment. By engaging multiple senses, you create a vivid and tangible world. This helps the reader connect more deeply with the character and their experiences.

Blend of Descriptive Imagery and Narrative:

A balance between descriptive imagery and narrative keeps the story engaging. Descriptive imagery sets the scene and mood, while narrative drives the plot forward. Combining the two ensures that the story is not just a series of events but a cohesive experience where the reader can visualize and feel what the character is going through.

Acknowledging Uncertainty:

Acknowledging uncertainty within the narrative makes characters more relatable and realistic. Characters who doubt, hesitate, or struggle with decisions are more human. This vulnerability can endear them to readers, who may see their own uncertainties reflected in the character. It also creates tension and suspense, as the outcomes of their actions are not always predictable.

Anticipation:

Building anticipation keeps readers hooked on the narrative. By setting up future events, hinting at potential conflicts, and developing subplots, you can create a sense of excitement and curiosity. Anticipation makes readers eager to see how the character will handle upcoming challenges and what consequences their actions will bring.

Practical Example:

Consider a Jedi character navigating the complexities of the Force and their personal beliefs. Descriptive passages might detail the serene beauty of a Jedi temple or the chaotic aftermath of a battle, grounding the reader in the scene. Reflective moments could explore the character's internal struggle with the dark side, making their choices more impactful. By weaving in mature themes like betrayal or loss, you add emotional weight to their journey. Immersive storytelling could bring to life the tactile feel of a lightsaber hilt or the haunting silence of a meditation chamber. Acknowledging the character's uncertainty about their path makes them relatable, while building anticipation for their ultimate confrontation with a Sith antagonist keeps readers invested in their fate.

In summary, how you write your character's story is just as crucial as what you write. A rich, descriptive, and immersive style, combined with deep exploration of themes and anticipation, creates a vibrant and engaging character narrative.

Hello and welcome! The writers above have already given you very solid and detailed guides for the questions you have posed, so I will opt to keep it short.

Conceive your character initially without having in mind them being Force Sensitive, just a straight-up NFU. Then, upon your revision, don the ‘mantle of Jedi’ on them.

The point is to set the foundation of the character as a story character before sprinkling in the finer details that smoothen the edges such as being a Jedi. Usually, these fundamentals will guide your decision on the flavor of Jedi, their “uniqueness” and so on.

Demon Demon

What are some key elements to include in a Jedi's backstory to make it interesting and believable? How can I tie my character's history into the larger Star Wars universe while avoiding cliches?

Cliches would be a former slave or farmboy turned Jedi. Both are found in canon and get used a lot around here because they're simple, easy backstories that don't involve a lot of complications or unanswered questions. A more common Chaos trope is lab experiments created by mad scientists who get "rescued" by the Jedi and join the Order out of gratitude and/or because they don't know what else to do with themselves. I wrote one of these and it was fun, but I didn't just use it for flavor. My character was a Sithspawn tainted by the Dark Side, and as a result the more extremist Jedi he would encounter didn't want to accept him as one of their own. In the end, he wound up leaving the Order.

Basically, you want a backstory that works well for you. If you want to include some drama related to your character's past, it can make for some fun storytelling. If you're not that interested in interactions with relatives, old flames, or ex-friends, then a simple backstory is probably better.

What are some unique personality traits or quirks that could make my Jedi stand out? I am looking for traits that would influence; their interactions with others and their approach to the Force.

It's hard to point to any particular personality type and say "you should do this one". If the character is well thought out and you write them consistently (as in, they don't suddenly change their minds or beliefs without any explanation or buildup), then they will stand out.

You could also add a twist to an existing trope. Right now there is an abundance of shy, quirky empaths in the current generation of Jedi Padawans. Every single one of them is either female or an overtly feminine male. If you wrote an empath who was a masculine male and/or wasn't a socially awkward weirdo, he would stand out in that crowd.

Every great character has their own set of challenges. What kinds of internal and external conflicts would be fitting for a Jedi; and how can I incorporate these into my roleplay; to create a more dynamic character?

As usual, it depends. Conflict against tradition might seem like an obvious choice, but in my experience it doesn't really work because Jedi traditions are pretty much ignored by writers here. I've written Jedi who were obsessive perfectionists determined to follow the Light, teenagers who became Jedi in an act of rebellion against their Sith parents, people who grew up hearing stories of the Jedi and always wanted to be one, etc. In some cases the conflict may come to you in the form of PvP against another writer's character, but I wouldn't predicate your entire story on that.

Any general advice on portraying a Jedi in a way that is true to the Star Wars lore but also allows for personal creativity? What are some common pitfalls to avoid when writing a Jedi character?

Based on your questions, it sounds like you're mainly concerned with being original and standing out. I'm not going to give you the "there's no such thing as originality!" speech, because it's reductive and oversimplifies the reality of being a storyteller in an obnoxious age of constant references and intertextuality. Suffice to say, you can boil anything down to its base components and claim it's exactly the same as something else. There is nothing new under the sun.

My ultimate advice is, don't pay attention to others or compare yourself to them. Just do your own thing. Draw inspiration from various sources, but don't copy any one thing wholesale. Have faith in yourself and your capabilities as a writer. Believe in your ideas. If you don't have any ideas, get some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom