Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction From Twin Suns to Twin Blades

See with eyes unclouded by hate

Tingel_Arm_Banner.png

Tag(s): Braze Braze

aD0YNwh.png
A’Runda wasn’t sure how long he’d be in the area. He was used to riding off into the sunset once whatever task he set out to do was over. Since clearing out the pirates from the Hurikane temple he hadn’t felt the familiar pull of the Force ushering him elsewhere. Which left the nomad to feel a little odd. As if the lack of aimlessness made him even more confused.

But he wasn’t upset, and he knew that his friend was enjoying the fresh hair. Darwin, the stubborn and lazy dewback that A’Runda had befriended, was close to the Tusken outside the temple. Lazily basking in the sun and enjoying the familiar dry climate here on Hurikane. Although the lack of two suns made it a bit more chilly for the cold blooded reptile.

One of the Jedi leaders he saw himself fighting alongside earlier had an apprentice that had been rather persistent on getting the Tusken to teach them something. A’Runda was initially reluctant, thinking there wasn’t much of a largely untrained, and uneducated nomad like himself to teach the Jedi Aspirant. But after a bit of time he agreed to pass on some knowledge once he learned of some things that might help the boy. But was unsure if anyone else may tag along as well.

Currently the Tusken was perched atop a rock, with his gaffi sticking out, examining it for rust and if he may need to treat the wood soon. Often taking better care of the old war club than his own lightsaber.

dgxmq14-4d2aaa93-542a-4548-a4d5-8abe8fb38b16.png

TAGS: A'Runda A'Runda

dgxmmvv-a37f840b-d383-4727-8658-db139c0bb7ca.png
Braze took his time climbing up to the rock, panting lightly by the time he reached the top. He was recovering, but relying on the Force for energy wasn't as easy as it used to be. He felt more tired than usual, his wellspring somewhat blocked. Nevertheless, he wouldn't be deterred by a little hike for their meeting. While he wasn't winded, his breathing was noticeably faster.

He wore simple attire: a high-necked, sleeveless crop top that exposed his scars, the marks a slightly pink hue compared to his pale skin. One mark stretched across his front, still healing from a nasty slicing wound he'd picked up during a training session with Jonyna Si Jonyna Si . His hands were wrapped in dark-colored wraps, secured with thin cotton ropes. He wore fitted shorts under his hakamas, which were tapered, and simple martial arts flats on his feet. His long white hair was neatly slicked back and pinned out of his face and out of the way.

"I'm here," the snowy-haired youth chirped excitedly. He held a fresh-cut bamboo stick, intending to use it as a stand-in for today's lessons. "So, where do we start?"

Hurikane
Tags: Braze Braze , A'Runda A'Runda

Fj8rIWR.png

Loomi had been having trouble sleeping.

Not really because she was scared of anything in particular but moreso because this was the longest time she had spent away from her Master. It was strange, really, but there were still lots of familiar faces around. Loomi was glad there was some level of comfort. She had spent the morning hours perched on the steps of the Hurikane Temple, the new base of opperations that the Tingel Arm Coalition had established as their temporary HQ, a cup of warm hot chocolate in her hands. It was a pretty barren and windy place, not like Coruscant at all. She had grown so used to city worlds.

It was about then that she noticed her friend, heading out towards the landscape. Loomi naturally was inclined to follow, trailing out to see a Tusken man, seeming to be awaiting his arrival. The Godoan shuffled up, giving a tired smile to the two.

"Good morning," she muttered. "What are you all doing out here?"

Tingel_Arm_Banner.png

Tag(s): Braze Braze | Loomi Loomi

aD0YNwh.png
The tusken didn’t look at the boy as he popped into view and spoke. Keeping his goggled eyes fixed on his weapon before rubbing off a bit of grime. But Braze’s arrival startled the dewback some, who let out a low noise from it’s throat as it looked over at the padawan. “Welcome, now tell me padawan, what would you say are some advantages and disadvantages of a dual bladed lightsaber?” He asked, still not yet looking over at Braze. Wanting to get an idea of what the child thought of the weapon just from their outside perspective.

A’Runda had made his own lightsaber double bladed as he felt his skills with his gaffi stick would translate to the weapon well. It had a few nice advantages. But there were some downsides that made a simple quarterstaff feel like a more versatile weapon. Things he picked up on from years of lonely practice and experimentation.

After a few moments he set his gaffi stick aside. He grabbed a long narrow stick he prepared for this as well and slid off the rock he was sitting on before finally looking down at the snowy hair boy. His eyes narrowed as he looked at their attire. A’Runda took a mental note that if he was gonna ever teach the boy any genuine tusken martial arts, he’d need to teach them some modesty first. But he stood before the padawan to listen to how they might answer his question and looked to another small child the followed Braze. “Padawan Braze here has been asking me to pass on some knowledge.” He replied in a rather straightforward tone.

Braze looked at him curiously. "Uh... longer reach and two dangerous ends, so you have to watch the backswing and how fast a counter might come from someone using it," he offered lightly. "It's versatile too. You don't need both ends lit and it could probably be good for Tràkata, considering you won't leave yourself completely open if you turn one side off," Braze added, thinking about it.

He glanced over at Loomi and smiled, brightening up. "Good morning. We're gonna practice with weapons, I think." He then looked back to A'runda as if seeking confirmation.

Hurikane
Tags: Braze Braze , A'Runda A'Runda

Fj8rIWR.png

"Oh, okay."

Loomi nodded, taking the gourd off of her back and setting it down, preparing her lightsaber spear. She needed to improve her skill with a staff anyways, and it seemed to contrast the weapon of the Tusken. The Godoan gave the two a bright smile, holding the saber spear in her right hand. Her wings fluttered with anticipation.

"I can practice," she affirmed. "I need to get better with pole arms. I've been relying too much on my swordsmanship, I think."

This was an area to improve.

kaweh-divider.png

Nearby, the sound of welding and hammering rung out. A droid and his master, a Sullustan garbed in strange robes. Kaweh Hujaan was busy at same temple on Hurikane, diligently repairing the damage inflicted by the pirates who had previously occupied the sacred place. The temple had seen better days, and Kaweh’s skills were invaluable. Plus, he owed Fynch Fynch for allowing his people a place of refuge.

"C'mon, Gaffer. Littuh bit more..." He gruffly spurred his droid, "There! Good lad."

The duo stopped and Kaweh removed his welding blinders. Another piece lf this ramshackle temple made whole again. Despite being a Matukai, Kaweh nonetheless held respect for his Jedi peers. Both saught answers in the same Force. He took notice of the training going on nearby.

Intrigued by the scene, Kaweh set down his tools and wiped the sweat from his brow. His eyes sparkled with a mixture of curiosity and a desire to contribute. He knew that training against a variety of opponents was crucial for a Jedi’s growth, and he felt compelled to lend his expertise.

Kaweh approached the group with a confident stride, his presence exuding calm and strength. He gave a respectful nod to A’Runda and addressed the group.

"Kaweh Hujaan, at yer service." He spoke,"Fancy a bit of sparrin', do ya? What say one of yous take on a Matukai like my grungy self? With yer master's permission, o' course."

As if to emphasize his offer, he pressed a button what seemed to be an average forging hammer. It clicked an whirred until it took a more staff-like sledgehammer form. He looked to the Tusken again.

"A Jedi needs to be ready for all sorts, not just fightin' their own." He pointed out, "And I could do with a touch up on my scrappin' skills meself."

Tingel_Arm_Banner.png

Tag(s): Braze Braze | Loomi Loomi | Kaweh Hujaan Kaweh Hujaan

aD0YNwh.png
A’Runda listened to the padawan’s answer, nodding some to the words. “Not a bad assessment. Even though I have no knowledge of who this Trakata person you speak of. Also you’re half correct about the reach…” To make his point clear he would try to demonstrate for the boy and girl.

He planted the wooden staff into the ground to keep it upright before reaching back to grab his long saber hilt from his shoulder.
“Although not always the case, the hilts like mine can be quite long, often double in size of a normal one.” A’Runda then ignited the red crackling blade, it let out a distinctive howl instead of a more common calm hum. “The longer handle can offer improved leverage, you can surprise an opponent with greater dexterity and nimbleness. Also overpowering them in a bind even if their more physically imposing…” To illustrate he grabbed both ends of his hilt to do a few snappy moves and flourishes. “The longer handle is both boon and bane. Even though it offers better leverage, it also is a far bigger target.” He continued to explain, trying to emphasize the point that for every advantage, there is a supposed equal and opposite disadvantage, at least in his eyes.

“But anyone can make a lightsaber with a longer handle, much like your own.” He added, looking over to the winged girl. “Your polearm offers even greater versatility in how it can be handled and maneuvered. To emphasize his point he then ignited the second blade out the other end of his hilt. “For a double bladed lightsaber like mine, the second blade creates more coverage at the cost of maneuverability. Also thrusts become more difficult, and can be harder to cross the weapon over your body without briefly exposing your hands to your opponent.” Unlike the staff they had, they couldn’t grab every part of it or let them touch their own body. Also A’Runda wanted this to be a lesson on using both blades at the same time instead of just one. Deactivating his saber and stepping over to Braze he swiped the bamboo staff from his hands. “Let me see this for just a moment…” He said, not even asking to take it from the boy before he stepped closer to his dewback. Just then he noticed another individual approach them. A much older sullustan.

A’Runda then presented Braze’s stick to the dewback where it began to eagerly gnaw gently on one end of the staff.
“We can do some sparring shortly. But first I want Padawan Braze to get an idea of how to handle a weapon like a saber-staff.” He said over his shoulder before having the dewback gnaw on the other end of the stick. Once he felt the bamboo had been adequately wettened he pulled it away from his animal companion and handed it back to Braze. The length of it save for the middle had now been practically drenched in icky dewback saliva. “Now I want you to get a feel for handling a weapon like this, and try to avoid getting Darwin’s spit on you… Now I want you two to maneuver your weapons at your own pace, but keep an eye on each other while you do so as to compare and contrast how you handle your weapons to each other.”

Braze frowned, grimacing at the ick now covering the bamboo stick.

"That's... kinda gross,"
he commented softly, casting a glance at Loomi and the new fellow who had approached them. The sight of the older Sullustan piqued his curiosity, but he quickly refocused on A'Runda's lesson, determined to make the most of this unconventional training.

He watched A'Runda's demonstration intently, trying to follow along with the lesson. Carefully, he shifted his grip on the now-drenched staff. "Alright, let's see what I can do," Braze muttered to himself, trying to mimic A'Runda's earlier moves with the longer hilt.

As he moved, he noticed the differences in balance and weight distribution compared to his usual weapon. The longer handle offered a new range of motion, but it also required more precise control. He experimented with a few flourishes, testing the limits of his dexterity and trying to avoid getting Darwin's spit on himself.

Braze glanced over at Loomi with a cringing expression that made it clear he didn't like what was done to his bit of bamboo.

The presence of the new arrival, the Sullustan, added an extra layer of intrigue. Braze wondered who he was and what insights he might bring. But for now, his focus remained on mastering the unwieldy weapon in his hands, eager to prove himself.

"Uh... Are we sparring Mr. A'Runda A'Runda ?" Braze asked.

Hurikane
Tags: Braze Braze , A'Runda A'Runda , Kaweh Hujaan Kaweh Hujaan

Fj8rIWR.png

“For a double bladed lightsaber like mine, the second blade creates more coverage at the cost of maneuverability. Also thrusts become more difficult, and can be harder to cross the weapon over your body without briefly exposing your hands to your opponent.”

"I see," Loomi remarked with a nod. "A staff has much more area you can take hold of. I don't imagine holding a lightsaber is all that great of an idea..."

Well, for some at least. There was tutaminis, but as far as what her studies had told her it was very extreme for an individual to redirect the energy of a lightsaber blade. She very much understood that there was a greater deal of care that needed to be taken with a lightsaber staff. They were joined by another warrior, a Matukai he stated. That was one of the martail arts Braze had learned. Perhaps it was something she should practice as well.

Loomi couldn't help but giggle a little at the distress Braze was in at the sudden application of saliva to his staff. She would present her spear to A'Runda, a show of solidarity for the training her friend was going through.

"Do mine too, please," she stated, perhaps even with an air of confidence that was not previously present within her in the past. "I'd like to practice saber staff combat as well."

Tingel_Arm_Banner.png

aD0YNwh.png
“Precisely…” A’Runda said plainly to the butterfly girl. He wasn’t worried about how grossed out Braze was over how itchy he made their bamboo staff. “Don’t worry Padawan Braze, it’s not gonna hurt you.”

However, he was a bit surprised when Loomi offered her staff to be put into a similar condition as Braze’s. “Very well then…” He took the girls lightsaber pike, and just like Braze’s staff brought it over to Darwin to gnaw on gently. Making sure the dewback didn’t get too carried away and ruin her weapon. Also being wary of not accidentally activating it against his animal companion.

After that was done he handed Loomi back her spear. “Remember to hold it in the center and keep the spit off of you.” He reminded her before stepping back to think some. He still wasn’t familiar with teaching. In fact most of his life he was always needing to learn. He was used to being a student, but not a mentor.

“Hm, once you two are comfortable you can start with some simple sparing to get familiar on how to use such a weapon with some resistance. Remember though, these are supposed to be lightsabers, there’s no need to go too hard with it. All you really need to do is get Darwin’s spit on your partner.” A’Runda then thought for a moment on how to give it a bit more incentive. “Um, I guess you could do a best two out of three?” He suggested to give it a bit more competitive energy. He wasn't really familiar with either of the padawan's abilities. If either Loomi or Braze completely outmatched the other. But figured that if they were both unfamiliar with saber staffs then things might be rather even between them.

Braze nodded lightly and stepped back into a combative stance, ready to spar with Loomi. It had been a long time since he last sparred, and he was eager to see what she had learned.

"Ready," he said, his voice steady and confident.

He figured sparring with Loomi might be less intimidating than sparring with Aris Noble Aris Noble . Now, it felt like there was a massive rift between them, much more significant than before. Braze felt powerless, as if he wouldn't even matter to Aris anymore. Aris was so strong and seemed to be going somewhere with his life, even paired with Jonyna Si Jonyna Si , the first Jedi to offer him mentorship. Their lives were very different now, with Jonyna taking the place Braze's own master had given up. He had a lot to think about, and none of it seemed very good or hopeful. The tension between him and Aris weighed heavily on Braze's mind, but he pushed those thoughts aside, focusing on the present moment.

Braze felt a sense of nostalgia mixed with excitement. Sparring had always been a way to connect with others, to understand their strengths and weaknesses. With Loomi, it was a chance to reconnect and test their skills without the weight of the past bearing down on them.

"Let's see what you've got," he said.

He made the first move, a quick jab to test her reflexes.

Hurikane
Tags: A'Runda A'Runda , Braze Braze , Kaweh Hujaan Kaweh Hujaan

Fj8rIWR.png

"Let's see what you've got," he said.

He made the first move, a quick jab to test her reflexes.

Loomi had readied herself in a stance that she had used with her saber spear, but gave it a tweak to adjust her opening for holding a weapon like a saber staff. It was awkward, though the young Godoan managed to balance out the weight of the weapon before the first strike came. As the first jab came in, Loomi knocked the trajectory off-course, a block she was used to making with a staff regardless of her superior skill with a blade. The young padawan steadied her breath, analyzing the present strengths and weaknesses of the blade style...

More opportunities to deflect, less to strike without hitting yourself in the process. What to do...

Hands. The weaknesses here would be the hands. Loomi took a step back, beginning to spin her spear in front of her. The ends covered in saliva began to blur, making a circular shape before her.

She just hoped that Braze would recognize the same weakness.

kaweh-divider.png

The Sullustan tapped his wan-shen against the ground, having it collapse into its forging hammer form. He placed the weapon back onto his belt. It seems his offer was rebuffed for the time being. Yet, he decided to join in observation of the two padawans. He had to give it to their master, it was an unorthodox way of teaching them. Bulbous eyes flicked over to the dewback that made itself the master's companion. Mangy beast, was all Kaweh could think at the moment. He turned his gaze back to the apprentices.

"Hmph." He made a small grunt as he watched, speaking to himself, "Lad at least has sparred before."

He could tell these padawans were not as novice as one might expect. Their stances, the occasional scar he saw on the insect-girl's face. These were seasoned apprentices. It almost made Kaweh himself wish he had a learner to pass the knowledge of his order to. It was not often you saw a Matukai these days. By the Force, it had been years since had last seen his own master. In the state of this crazy galaxy, he could not help but wonder about how many of his kind truly existed.

"Oi, watch it, lassie." He barked as some of the dewbakc slime from Loomi's spear flung off, "I might look grubby, but I'd rather not want that beast's spittle on me. No offense."

His comment was leaned more toward Darwin than the Tusken-garbed man beside him. And that was another pondering in his mind. A Sand Person this far from Tatooine. That was truly an interesting thought...

Last edited:

dgxmq14-4d2aaa93-542a-4548-a4d5-8abe8fb38b16.png

TAGS: Loomi Loomi

dgxmmvv-a37f840b-d383-4727-8658-db139c0bb7ca.png

Braze moved in, drawing the back of his staff up and forwards as the front end was deflected. His opponent spun their staff in a circular motion, making it harder to predict their next move. The interchangeability of the ends of Braze's staff made it easier for him to adapt. He pivoted, bringing his staff down in a sweeping arc, aiming to disrupt the spinning motion and create an opening for his next strike.

Hurikane

Fj8rIWR.png

"Oi, watch it, lassie."

Loomi barely processed the words of the nearby Matukai warrior. She had seemed to drift off into a different world, one where the only thing occurring was this battle against her friend. Much to the dismay of the Sullustan, surely, saliva from the dewback would continue to be scattered from the movement of her spear. The padawan was in the zone now, and even with how scatterbrained she was normally there was little that could break focus like she was in.

And what she was waiting for happened, just like she had hoped. A sweeping movement came to break up her spinning. In that moment the Godoan held the spear in place horizontally in front of her, bringing the end up to parry the incoming blow as it came down.

Should the parry prove successful, Loomi would swing the other end back around to strike Braze's hand.

Tingel_Arm_Banner.png

aD0YNwh.png
“I understand that these are accomplished Padawans. I know Braze was here when we took the temple. It would be horribly negligent if Jedi Master Jasper threw an inexperienced apprentice into battle like that.” A’Runda said in response to the sullustan’s comment about them having sparred before. Saying that however, A’Runda felt like the two apprentices were rather young. He wasn’t sure if they were old enough to take on the trials of adulthood back among the Sand People.

A’Runda continued to watch Loomi and Braze spar and got increasingly more familiar with how to handle and maneuver the staff like weapons. He was also seemingly unfazed as some of the dewback spit splattered around. It was of no real concern for him given that he’s spent years now with the large and aging lizard. The two developed a strong bond when A’Runda was too sick to fully care for himself. Their deep connection has been built out of mutualism to survive the deserts of Tatooine.

“Nice you two, remember it’s best two out of three.” A’Runda wasn’t much of a teacher, he wasn’t even much of a student either. Much of his own knowledge was self taught and research done under his own initiative. He never really had the gift of a proper teacher in his past.

A’Runda then shifted his gaze from the padawans to the Sullustan and spoke. "You referred to yourself as a Matukai. Yet if I’m not mistaken you are a Sullustan. Is the Matukai more of a culture or a nation that you hail from?”

kaweh-divider.png

The Sullustan was taken slightly aback. Not unexpected he supposed. His monastic order was not as publicized as the Jedi were. His large eyes flicked back to A'Runda.

"I am Sullustan as much as I am Matukai." He explained, "As much I assume you are both Ghorfa and Jedi."

The monk took a moment to ponder a way to think of how to explain it. He then nodded and turned back to the Tusken.

"Much like the Jedi, the Matukai Order are a religious order who wield the Force." He explained carefully, "We focus more on meditating through physical arts. Martial arts, exercise, so forth. Not so much telekinesis."

To demonstrate, his eyes scanned the air nearby. He saw a little beetle-like creature buzzing in the air. It zipped and weaved in the air, as the Sullustan followed it carefully like a predator. In a quick motion, his hand moved supernaturally fast, snatching the insect out of air. He carefully opened up his palm, the beetle confusedly flew out.

"As you have lightsabers, we have wan-shen." He tapped the hammer on his belt, "Staves imbued and forged with the Force itself. Each one built according to how an adept wishes."

He once again took the hammer off his belt, snapping it as expanded into its full sledgehammer-like form.

Although Braze was focused, he was sluggish and not up to par with his previous abilities. In short order, Loomi was successful each time in their bouts. Braze simply wasn't fast enough to enact any effective defenses. He could feel the weight of his inadequacy bearing down on him. The fluidity and precision that once defined his movements were now replaced by hesitation.

He was solely focused on Loomi and not the conversation the two adults were having.

Braze's mind wandered back to the days when he could anticipate and counter any attack with ease. The loss of his connection to the Force had stripped him of more than just his power; it had taken away a part of his identity.

He was perhaps trying too hard and not enough in some ways. He just seemed... off.

Hurikane

Fj8rIWR.png

She... had won?

No, this wasn't right. She had quite vividly remembered Braze being someone she found challenging to fight. They were certainly not even, given she was pretty certain she had always been weaker, but this? It felt very wrong. Loomi didn't feel good about winning here at all. A gentle frown came to her face, her antennae curling back with concern.

"Braze..." she muttered. "You... are not okay, are you?"

It had been a while now. Was he not getting better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom