Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make finding a faction easier

Now this is something that has been discussed, at length, before. But I think its worth revisiting again because I've seen a lot of new members unsure of which factions are available to join. As well as people not knowing what factions are about if its not obvious from the name. Obviously staff is hard at work filtering out the dead factions, but even then finding factions through the faction directory can be hard for fresh members. The map can be useful to see the major factions available, but does nothing to help minor factions. Yes we have the faction advertisement forum, but honestly I don't think it does what we hoped for. New members don't go through each advertisement, many of the advertisements are no longer relevant, and the forum can be flooded pretty easily.

So how can we fix this? One idea I had was a directory list of currently active factions (major and minor) with a brief description of each and of course a link to each. Make this list obvious and easy to find. And update it during each monthly check in as needed. Perhaps a minor faction check in would be appropriate?

I have thought the same thing... A few days ago, one of my characters just had to join a faction, but... I didn't know, which one to choose. This list could be a great thing, but I believe in the description, there should be some kind of keywords or something, which can give people information about the faction even easier.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I support OP, and I'd even be willing to help out, seeing as I've already spoken to a few who weren't yet completely sure where they could go or where they want to. Something unified you can just bring up with the bare bones of what A and B are about and A and B are doing right now would be a great way to clear any confusion and prevent people from making choices they will not like later on.

Also, I do believe it in part the faction administrators' jobs to make sure their homepage is neat, informational and easy to read through. ^w^

Edit: (Original Post, not Omega lol)

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Soliael Devin Talith said:
Staff will soon be deleting old and inactive factions. This should help clear up the list a bit. In the future we'll look into a better way to sort Minor Factions and such though it is difficult with how the board works.
Just have someone(s) volunteer to make a master list, and keep it updated every month.

Daella Apparine said:
There is a Faction Directory. I recommend everyone edits their Faction's description to fit the space allowed while being informative and concise.
Soliael Devin Talith said:
Staff will soon be deleting old and inactive factions. This should help clear up the list a bit. In the future we'll look into a better way to sort Minor Factions and such though it is difficult with how the board works.
I mentioned all of these (including the advertisement forum) in my original post. The Factory Directory is still difficult for new users to navigate, and with us getting sometimes as many as 5-10 new factions within a week or two (often by brand new members who then never post), it too gets flooded very easily just like the faction advertisement forum. A master list that only list truly active factions would be more useful. Have a wait time of a month before a minor faction can be put on the list.

Staff will research means to make the Faction Directory more intuitive to navigate.

Also, here's is an example on another use to the Faction Advertisement forum. Also, feel free to post links to your faction in your signature as well as greet new members while mentioning your faction.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
The creation of a New Members Section inside the Faction Forums has proven rather useful in personal experience. Especially when Staffed by a good Moderator who can browse the Welcome New Members section for candidates and point them this way. Do to the current board size, I would only recommend each Faction have 1 Faction Staff Member allocated to finding, welcoming, and fellowshipping new people.

Also. Board Staff may have ideas about how to attract new members to the boards. Such has Social Media, Facebook, Twitter, and Personal Invitations. Thus increasing overall board membership and by theory: Faction memberships. :D

Nyxie

【夢狐】
The problem, in my opinion, is people will jump in to the first thing they think is good or is simply the most clear, without much afterthought for what else might be hidden in the trove. Likewise, even with the directory they're only seeing certain ones and out of those certain ones, only certain info. If someone goes out to personally cull in members, then it becomes the whole separate ordeal of "I'm being bombarded by all of these factions/adverts... which one do I choose?" which can overwhelm someone, especially new, and again probably either ball down to who is most persuasive or where the member feels most obligated to go with little afterthought to the others or to their choice in the long run. That's not how the experience for a newbie should go, because let's face it, that can be tough at first. (It also kind of takes away from the other factions, ya dig?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom