Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Podrace [OOC Coordination] Calling All Daredevils & Gamblers! || Starship Race & Sabacc

Yeah so Mars Raynor Mars Raynor we will let Rissk Rissk get his hand, then you will roll one and decide to discard either your new card or one of your held cards. The downside is that you can’t see the roll until after you post, so your action as to which card to discard won’t take place until the next turn.

Also the downside is we can all see each others cards. So for OOC purposes, I think a standard OOC ante at the beginning of each hand makes sense, and we can write it out IC wise as if we don’t know what our opponent is holding. Like if I end up with a 6-3, I will fold IC-wise. If I end up with a 2-2, I will almost certainly stay in IC-wise, even if I know OOC you have a 1-1, because I don’t know that IC. Does all of that make sense? We can basically bet however makes sense from our character’s perspective, writing our characters bluffing or giving off tells, with the same OOC repercussions regardless of what happens.

The question is whether we place an IC bet in between each round. Like after Rissk posts to get his cards, do you place an IC bet your next move? I think so. Basically, in each of our second posts, we all start off by deciding whether to place a bet based on our starting cards while also rolling for our next card. Then in the third post, we act on our first round draw (roll from second post), place a bet based on the first round draw, and roll for our second round draw to be acted on in the next post. Am I making sense at all on this?

I am fine with a 1000 UC wager on each hand as you suggested, but also fine if we just want to roll with the loot table. It may just be the three of us at our table, so we will see if Rissk is on board with that alternative.

Yeah so Mars Raynor Mars Raynor we will let Rissk Rissk get his hand, then you will roll one and decide to discard either your new card or one of your held cards. The downside is that you can’t see the roll until after you post, so your action as to which card to discard won’t take place until the next turn.

Also the downside is we can all see each others cards. So for OOC purposes, I think a standard OOC ante at the beginning of each hand makes sense, and we can write it out IC wise as if we don’t know what our opponent is holding. Like if I end up with a 6-3, I will fold IC-wise. If I end up with a 2-2, I will almost certainly stay in IC-wise, even if I know OOC you have a 1-1, because I don’t know that IC. Does all of that make sense? We can basically bet however makes sense from our character’s perspective, writing our characters bluffing or giving off tells, with the same OOC repercussions regardless of what happens.

The question is whether we place an IC bet in between each round. Like after Rissk posts to get his cards, do you place an IC bet your next move? I think so. Basically, in each of our second posts, we all start off by deciding whether to place a bet based on our starting cards while also rolling for our next card. Then in the third post, we act on our first round draw (roll from second post), place a bet based on the first round draw, and roll for our second round draw to be acted on in the next post. Am I making sense at all on this?

I am fine with a 1000 UC wager on each hand as you suggested, but also fine if we just want to roll with the loot table. It may just be the three of us at our table, so we will see if Rissk is on board with that alternative.
The not seeing your roll until after posting really is tough. I guess easiest is to write some prose, roll and post, then go back and edit the post with your stand or swap action. Maybe thats the simplest way to go about it? And I’m fine with the poker approach of rising the wager each round as an option, other than stand.

Also the downside is we can all see each others cards.

What about this? Since most card games have a dealer, and Kessel Sabacc - as seen on Outlaws - has face-up discard/draw piles, it could made sense for Aerin Denno Aerin Denno to act as NPC Dealer. They could use whatever method they'd prefer to randomize what's in each face down pile, and what goes in each player's starter hand. They could then send the starter hand to each participant via DM. And on your posts - or before, through DMs - you would pick a pile to draw from and, if it's a face down one, they would tell what that card was. So your hand always stay on the DMs.

That way the dealer would always know what each player has, so no cheating is possible. And the players would only know their hands and what's been discarded, like in Outlaws. Of course this requires much more work from the OP.

Just a thought, probably for a future game. Hope no one's offended.

<trying this roll thingie while I'm at it>

What about this? Since most card games have a dealer, and Kessel Sabacc - as seen on Outlaws - has face-up discard/draw piles, it could made sense for Aerin Denno Aerin Denno to act as NPC Dealer. They could use whatever method they'd prefer to randomize what's in each face down pile, and what goes in each player's starter hand. They could then send the starter hand to each participant via DM. And on your posts - or before, through DMs - you would pick a pile to draw from and, if it's a face down one, they would tell what that card was. So your hand always stay on the DMs.

That way the dealer would always know what each player has, so no cheating is possible. And the players would only know their hands and what's been discarded, like in Outlaws. Of course this requires much more work from the OP.

Just a thought, probably for a future game. Hope no one's offended.

<trying this roll thingie while I'm at it>
I don’t dislike the idea, but it puts a ton of work on Patt to run everything behind the scenes and introduces one more person into the equation to wait on between posts. That would definitely be a good way to do it if we were in a chat room running this as a fast paced game. I think it just kind of clogs things up when we’re doing it message board style.

The not seeing your roll until after posting really is tough. I guess easiest is to write some prose, roll and post, then go back and edit the post with your stand or swap action. Maybe thats the simplest way to go about it? And I’m fine with the poker approach of rising the wager each round as an option, other than stand.
I’m fine with the writing everything out, then going back and editing to make your discard decision. That may make more sense and keep it moving faster.

Also a note, we have a channel for this on the SL/LAW discord if you want to jump on there. Patt had hashed out some of this earlier since I was originally very confused as to how this would play out.

I don’t dislike the idea, but it puts a ton of work on Patt to run everything behind the scenes and introduces one more person into the equation to wait on between posts. That would definitely be a good way to do it if we were in a chat room running this as a fast paced game. I think it just kind of clogs things up when we’re doing it message board style.
Sure. I said as much. I'd still do it myself but just because I'm a glutton for punishment! Xp

Having to wait for a neutral party between every post would definitely incur some overhead. I just don't think that would be the bottleneck. But one thing is certain, the load would be tenfold for the person 'dealing' the cards.

I think the best alternative would be using this OOC thread or a dice roller on Discord for your rolls to avoid having to edit.

Doesn’t eliminate others seeing your rolls, but then again, my thought process was that if Kay can use Nix every round to know each player’s hand, then it’s probably okay for us to see the roll results - even armed with that information, if I have a sabacc in hand, I wouldn’t risk breaking it.

Just no way to keep them secret without a DM, which I don’t mind doing, but idk if that stipulation would hinder others from trying to play - especially if you’re like me and have 1v1 sabacc threads :)

I am fine with knowing things OOC as long as we keep it real IC. The primary goal is to have fun, so I’ll write my posts as if Pal is playing his cards and the room, allowing others to write potential tells or things he would pick up on, but without the OOC info I have of knowing if they can beat me or not.

I don't have a horse in the race since I'm going for a different objective, but I agree with the sentiment.

There's plenty of games out there, in here the most important goal is to write a good story. Winning/losing is secondary and only impacts your character as much as you want it to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom