Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Shadows of Ice & Iron

ntbdEpv.png

MIDVINTER, HEAVENHEIM
Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield

cvIPzGh.png

The Liberty's Edge shot down through the thick clouds of Midvinters' night sky, leaving a plume of smoke in the wake of the ship's thrusters. This frozen world was entirely foreign to Balun; however, it was among hundreds of worlds in the Tingel Arm that the young man had yet to experience firsthand. Independent and exhilarated by the thought of exploring a new world, he had no idea how significant Midvinter was in the greater scheme of things. Yet, descending towards Heavenheim, he could see a vast settlement illuminating the surrounding frozen lands.

Announcing his arrival and requesting permission to land, he was answered by someone who claimed to be part of the 'Fortress of Dawn', whatever the hell that was. It sounded...-Well fortified? Swallowing his curiosity, Balun was given clearance to land upon one of the landing pads within the great city, and the voice welcomed him to the city of Heavenheim. A peculiar name for a place and one that rang no bells of familiarity to his mind.

"At least there's civilization here, huh, Luna," Balun said to the Merqaal, who was curled up in the co-pilot's chair, sleeping soundly. "It looks freezing out there, though; maybe I'll leave you to sleep while I check it out first", he added while guiding the Clifford-class Freighter down to land.

From further back in the cockpit, Chip gave an excited whirl, causing Balun to glance back over his shoulder in surprise; "You've been here before? Your old Master again, I'm guessing," Balun assumed. The BB-Model Astromech hadn't revealed much about its former owner, only that he had once been a Jedi Master. Balun had tried to learn more, but the droid kept tight-lipped on that particular subject, a far cry from its usual chatty nature. "Well then, I guess you're coming along. I could use the help," he decided, moving to rise from the pilot's seat, flicking back the last of the controls so that the Freighter could wind down before he left.

Wrapping his robe around him, Balun crossed his arms over his torso as he strode down the loading ramp and into the freezing winds of Midvinters open air. The first thing he noticed was a shocking lack of technology; it wasn't entirely absent, but it was also akin to what Balun imagined life might have been thousands of years ago. The design of the buildings around him and the use of torches lighting the streets was both incredible and yet also completely unheard of.

"Where the hell have we landed?" he said aloud, rhetorically despite Chip giving a whistle and instructing Balun to follow the little droid. "Alright then...-Lead on," Balun resigned, his eyes on their newfound surroundings and not really wanting to know where the droid would take him. They had arrived back in the stone ages and the shock was going to take a long time to adjust to.

9897949dd51a1aa7048570815354a6af.jpg

M I D V I N T E R
H E A V E N H E I M
S T A B L E S

Balun Dashiell Balun Dashiell

"What in the Gods' names do you think you're doing?"

"Ow!" Thurion bumped his head against the wall, snuck up on and judged by the incredulous face of the oldest living Valkyri, hands on his hips as if about to scold his liege. The King released the half-picked hoof and stepped over to the box entrance, meeting him face to face. "Tommen's been stuck in bed with pneumonia all day," he explained, idly drumming the scraper against the top of the box gate. "Morning Star needed his hooves picked clean, so here I am. I don't mind."

Bors looked none too pleased, raising an eyebrow. "Your Grace, we must employ a dozen stable boys for the royal stables alone. I'm sure one of them can tend to your steed in the morning." But the Lion didn't listen, instead reaching out to tend to his uncle's unkempt hair. "You're one to talk. You should be in bed, old man."

"Bah," he dismissed the concern, but ultimately didn't recoil from his nephew's touch. It was not an unwelcome gesture of tenderness, after all. The old man eventually smiled. "You needn't worry over me, lad. These bones got a few good years left in them before I keel over. Until then, I wish to be of service." Thurion brought his head closer, leaning down until their foreheads touched in the most intimate gesture of kinship.

"Very well," Bors aquiesced to his liege lord's wishes, leaving him to tend to his horse's needs. "Don't stay up too late, Thra—" He caught himself, momentarily stopping dead in his tracks before muttering curses to himself as he went on his way. Thurion lingered to watch his uncle disappear into the night, then returned to his self-imposed chore.

"Alrighty, sorry about that. Gonna just finish up this one, then we'll do the others, how's that sound?" Morning Star neighed and shook his golden mane, seemingly onboard as the King placed his right front hoof between his legs and picked up where he'd left off.

It was late, and with the stillness of night all one could hear was a man humming to himself with nought but horses for company.

"Chip, where are you taking us?" Balun complained as the pair of them walked through the quiet night streets of Heavenheim. It was strange to see so few people enjoying the nightlife, unlike other worlds he had recently visited. Sure, there was the odd passerby, and weird was undoubtedly the correct word to describe what they wore and how they appeared. Balun himself enjoyed the thrill of hunting for survival, but he had never seen so much animal fur worn as typical clothing like this. Any average person would frown upon such a thing back in the core world of his experience.

Chip gave a series of mechanical chirps and a whirl as he rolled along the street, Balun having to up his pace slightly to keep up with the droid. Balun, who had learned Binary during his time at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, couldn't shake off the unease he felt in this strange place.

"Did you say a Heavenshield? We didn't come here for weapons...." Balun paused once more, slowing to a gradual halt; "I don't know why we're even here, honestly". Balun frowned to himself. He had wanted to explore. What could checking out some foreign weapons hurt? "You know what, hells with it. Let's go", he resigned, jogging over to catch up with the Astromech, who hadn't bothered to wait for him.

As they continued up the cobblestoned street, Balun couldn't help but feel like perhaps he had frustrated the little droid. Chip carried on with a fuelled purpose, only stopping when they neared what appeared to be some animal housing structure. Finally able to come up alongside the BB-Model, Balun looked around, wondering why Chip had only now decided to slow down. It was now that he realized someone was singing. Or rather, sounding a musical tune.

Chip whistled so loud that it startled Balun, causing him to look around in case they'd disturbed anyone in the night. "Hey man, you're going to get us in the chit if you keep yelling like that" he tried to settle the droid, yet the Astromech continued calling for someone by the name of Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield . The name wasn't familiar to Balun, yet he didn't feel like ruffling any feathers in a place so foreign to him, where they knew not a soul who could speak on their behalf.

M I D V I N T E R
H E A V E N H E I M
S T A B L E S

Finishing up the last hoof, the unmistakable sound of an astromech droid whistling and bleeping coming from outside the stables had him freeze in place and listen. He recognised that specific whistle from somewhere. "Shh," he told Morning Star who snorted in response. Then he heard it clear as day.

"Ow!" He bumped his head a second time in the excitement, letting go of the hoof and moving around the horse while rubbing his noggin. "Chip? Is that you, boy," he called out into the night as he shut the box gate after him, bidding his noble steed good night before heading outside.

Thurion appeared in the doorway, not really knowing what to expect. But there, stepping out of the darkness, came the little blue astromech rolling straight at him, chirping happily. "Chirp! It is you!" He got down on his knees and embraced the droid like a long lost puppy. "It's been ages, hasn't it? You look good, old friend. Is Caedyn with you? Caedyn!"

When someone decidedly not Caedyn revealed himself, Thurion swiftly got back on his feet. "Oh! I thought... It's just, that droid used to belong to House Arenais, passed down from my brother Veiere to his son Caedyn. I mistook you for my nephew, my apologies."

He cleared his throat to dispel some of the awkwardness.

"My name is Thurion of House Heavenshield. Welcome to Midvinter, Young Master Jedi," he bowed in a traditional fashion, noting the lightsaber on the boy's hip.

"Chip? Is that you, boy,"

Someone here knew the Droid.

Balun first thought it might have been the proper owner, but then Chip mentioned the name Veiere when they first met. The droid shot forward at the sound of the stranger's voice, yet Balun didn't approach further, somehow feeling somewhat out of place despite the two being familiar with each other.

When Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield stepped outside, Chip didn't hesitate to roll right into his embrace, giving an excited whistle and chirping away in audible pleasure. It was a heartwarming and joyous sight, the droid's excitement at the reunion. It seemed like the droid might have returned home, at least that was until the older man noticed Balun standing there watching the two in silence.

"Oh! I thought... It's just, that droid used to belong to House Arenais, passed down from my brother Veiere to his son Caedyn. I mistook you for my nephew, my apologies."

"Oh, uh....-No, sorry. I found him on Hurikane. He was trapped in an abandoned old Jedi Temple that some pirates had made a home" Balun answered, apologising and soon explaining how he had come upon the droid; "He did mention a Veiere, but this is the first I've heard about House Arenais. I didn't wanna leave him there alone, so we've sort of been hanging out ever since. He seems to like you though. You said his owner was your brother?".

If this man was family to the Astromech, then this was definitely Chip's home. It was a bit of an awkward and tense position to be in, as Balun had enjoyed having the droid along for the ride. Between his own adventuring and the exploits of the Tingel Arm Coalition, there was always a need for a friendly droid like him.

"Thurion...Heavenshield? Ah, that makes a bit more sense!" Balun gave a bit of a smirk as he glanced back down to Chip, who remained at Thurion's feet; "He mentioned a Heavenshield, but I figured it was like...-An actual shield or something", he elaborated, soon introducing himself in return; "I'm Balun, and yeah I grew up with the Jedi, but I'm not with the Order anymore. Just sorta doing my own thing. For the most part..." he concluded, his thoughts going to his Master Julius Sedaire Julius Sedaire . They hadn't seen each other in a while, so it wasn't a lie.

"Midvinter?" he soon asked, making sure he got the name correctly, "I figured I'd check it out, but I didn't expect this. I'm part of the Tingel Arm Coalition so I'm trying to get the lay of the Outer Rim Territories...-But this sure isn't like any other World I've been to, yet".

M I D V I N T E R
H E A V E N H E I M
S T A B L E S

"Well, you did the right thing taking him with you. This one has served the Arenais since before you were born. He did not deserve abandonment." His brows furrowed briefly, trying to figure out what series of events could have led to Chip being lost on a remote world like Hurikane. He'd assumed the droid would have passed to Caedyn following Veiere's passing, and he would never have willingly left his father's inheritence behind. In any case, here he was, seemingly undamaged. This Balun had taken well care of him.

"Midvinter?" he soon asked, making sure he got the name correctly, "I figured I'd check it out, but I didn't expect this. I'm part of the Tingel Arm Coalition so I'm trying to get the lay of the Outer Rim Territories...-But this sure isn't like any other World I've been to, yet".

"No," he chuckled, then settled on a proud smile. "No, it isn't." If he only knew. With one more pat on Chip's head, Thurion turned to shut the stable door behind him, securing it for the night. "Night, Morning Star," he called, receiving a reply in the form of a neigh.

"So, Young Master Vale," he approached the boy, towering over him as any of his kind would, and placed a large hand on his shoulder. "If your desire is to explore this world, you'd be better off doing so during daylight hours. Please, dine with me tonight as my honoured guest. I'd be much gladdened by your company. Consider it my personal thanks for rescuing an old friend."

Before Balun had even given his answer, Thurion had already wrapped his arm around Balun and begun steering him in the direction of the Heavenshield homestead, Chip in cheerful pursuit. "Ahh, I always appreciate going for late night walks. The air feels fresher, somehow," he took a deep breath, then turned his eyes skywards. "And then there's the view..."

An impossible number of stars littered the night sky as the heavy clouds gave way, as if to allow them this one moment of infinite beauty. Aurora borealis in the form of green, blue, and purple danced across the sky. "You won't find something this precious on worlds like Coruscant," he marvelled like an innocent child. "In my culture, it is believed that each star represents the final resting place of past kings and legendary heroes. Despite having visited most of them, at nights such as this I cannot help but feel their presence."

Before long, they found themselves on the front porch of his home; a humble two-story cabin surrounded on three sides by a gorgeous garden that remained eternally green owed to a series of heat-dispensers installed underneath the earth, keeping the soil and the plants from freezing. Behind, the calm waters of the Golden Gulf would provide the most stunning sunsets imaginable, along with a simple rowboat stocked with fishing equipment secured to the porch which surrounded the exterior of the house.

"Welcome to my humble abode," he invited him inside. "Please, make yourself at home."

Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield stopped to bid the animal goodnight, Balun smiling as he thought of Luna and how he often spoke to her in a way many might consider odd. He was very much an animal lover, at times feeling greater integrity in them than in sentient life in the Galaxy. When cared for, animals were so innocent. Even the wild ones followed the natural cycle, survival of the fittest or the food chain, whichever you wanted to call it.

"So, Young Master Vale," he approached the boy, towering over him as any of his kind would, and placed a large hand on his shoulder. "If your desire is to explore this world, you'd be better off doing so during daylight hours. Please, dine with me tonight as my honoured guest. I'd be much gladdened by your company. Consider it my personal thanks for rescuing an old friend."

Balun's surprise at Thurion's invitation was evident in his glance back. The unexpected offer to spend the evening in Thurion's home left him momentarily speechless. "Uh...-Are you sure?" His instinctual habit of doubting himself kicked in, making him feel like he was intruding on Thurion's peace and quiet. It was a perfect example of his internal conflict: the man was offering hospitality, yet Balun was looking at himself as the problem.

Despite his initial hesitation, Balun couldn't help but feel a surge of gratitude. A comfortable bed and a warm house to relax in sounded like a luxury after his recent travels in the Outer Rim Territories. "I mean, yes, thank you!" He corrected himself, not wanting to appear rude or unappreciative of Thurion's generosity.

Turning his gaze skyward, Balun stopped to appreciate the open night air. Having mentioned the stars, Balun followed Thurions' eyes and realised he was right. The stars were out in number like he hadn't seen before. The settlement of Heavenheim did not possess the same strength of lighting compared to the likes of the Core Worlds, but he might not have noticed had the older man not pointed this out.

"In my culture, it is believed that each star represents the final resting place of past kings and legendary heroes. Despite having visited most of them, at nights such as this I cannot help but feel their presence."

"You believe that too then?" Balun assumed, staring up at them all. He didn't know many great kings or heroes. Sure, the Jedi had some pretty legendary historical folk, but none that Balun had ever thought about enough to truly admire. Sometimes he had imagined that his parents might have died somehow, and they were looking down on him from far above...-But he knew that was a lie. They had given him up and he didn't know anyone who would bother.

They didn't hang about for long, instead heading toward the two-story cabin. It looked very natural, built out of the world's natural resources, almost primitive compared to the construction of buildings on other, more technological worlds. "How long have you lived on Midvinter?" Balun soon asked, curious to know more about the man who it appeared Balun would be staying with; "Do you normally invite in people you don't know?".

M I D V I N T E R
H E A V E N H E I M
H O M E S T E A D

"You believe that too then?"

Thurion's expression hardened somewhat, the cheer in his eyes and the smile on his face fading momentarily. He knew too many of those stars. "I must," he simply said. "Because doing so brings me much needed comfort, and because it would be terribly lonely without their company. Without their guidance..." The gregarious smile returned as he held the door for him.

His home was no gilded palace or hallowed hall. It was just another home, with wooden kitchen chairs and around a dinner table, stuffed arm chairs and a small coffee table by the fireplace, and furry rugs against the hardwood floor. Each piece of furniture was handmade and elaborately carved, some featuring depictions paying homage to a long and eventful past. Countless items of memorabilia littered the living room, ranging from trinkets on display to weapons of wars long past placed on racks. A holographic bust of a woman occasionally flickered in the corner. Above the fireplace hung a wide painting in a golden frame, depicting the entire Heavenshield clan with their patriarch and matriarch at its centre.

"Heh, you might say that," he snickered, kicking off his boots as he went to wash the smell of horse from his hands. He returned shortly after, wiping his hands using a towel as the two stood before the family portrait.

"It was painted by Nina, my eldest daughter," he pointed at the white-haired girl depicted as holding a large tome. "She was but a small child when we happened upon this world, and it's been home ever since. It's a... very long story — too long to tell in one night." He knelt down to light the fireplace, using the tried and true method of flint and steel to create sparks. It only required two attempts from such experienced hands.

"Do you normally invite in people you don't know?"

Thurion rose up and turned to the boy, his giant frame towering over his scrawny build. "I invite all who are lost to sit by my hearth, be they lost, afraid, or merely hungry. Perhaps they are looking for something they cannot find, such as their purpose in life?" While they spoke, a pair of cups were being filled and just happened to appear on the coffee table next to Balun, one filled with hot cocoa and the other with blue milk. He gestured to one of the arm chairs, which seemed to have mysteriously moved ever so slightly.

"Please, sit. Take a load off."

"I must," he simply said. "Because doing so brings me much needed comfort, and because it would be terribly lonely without their company. Without their guidance..."

Balun nodded lightly, understanding why the presence of the man's ancestors might be heartwarming. "I don't know who my ancestors are, but I can imagine it would be nice to believe they were looking down over me during my days" he smiled, though more for Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield than his own sake; "I was given to the New Jedi Order as a baby, so I don't even know my homeworld" he shrugged a little, providing a bit more context for the man.

He didn't mind sharing with Thurion; not only was he a Stranger, someone far from likely to share with anyone Balun knew, but the man had also been nice enough to open up his home to Balun. He was kind, and Balun didn't feel the need to be so guarded around him, strangely.

Balun would soon wander closer to the fireplace as Thurion set it ablaze. He looked over the portrait of the man's family. As depicted by the painting, they all seemed to be very close and happy. Not only that, but they all wore fine furs and colours that matched one another, and a number of them stood together. It was perhaps the largest family Balun had seen, all united and stronger for it.

"Your Daughter is an incredible artist," Balun smiled as he admired the painting, not just for its semblance of family unity but also for the fact that someone could paint something with their hands that invoked such emotion, giving the one who admired it a window into what it might have been like to be a member of their great house. "And your family looks wonderful. You must be very proud," Balun commended him, able to be happy for the man because of what he had.

Turning back towards the living space, Balun couldn't help but notice the cups that had found their way to the table. This surprised him for a moment. He soon glanced back at Thurion and suddenly realized the man was a Force User. "You're trained in the Force..." He acknowledged, slowly stepping over to the armchair, reaching out with his left hand and gently guiding the cup off the table and into his hand using telekinesis, slow levitation of the cup and great care not to spill the drink.

Taking a seat, Balun studied the man curiously. He hadn't sensed the Force in him, yet this wasn't unusual, especially for those who were well-trained and could dampen their presence. Or perhaps Balun wasn't paying attention. He hadn't felt anything until he had physically seen evidence of it. "Who did you learn from? Did all your family know how to use the Force?".

M I D V I N T E R
H E A V E N H E I M
L I V I N G - R O O M

Thurion nodded, smiling. It was oddly refreshing not being recognised or instantly revered by a fellow Jedi. Given his youth, the likelyhood of him having read or heard about his exploits was slim. There were no end to the number of legendary Jedi across millennia, after all. Never in his life would he dare place himself in the company of Skywalker, Kenobi, Yoda, Shan or Revan. Names the young man would have surely read about in his studies.

"I am," he simply said. His eyes wandered over to the holographic bust, considering long before acting. He held out his hand, causing the holoprojector to shut itself off before hovering across the room, ending up in his open palm. Seating himself in the second arm chair, Thurion placed the device on the coffee table between them and turned it back on. A woman's likeness flickered to life, casting its blue hue upon its surroundings.

"This was my master. Asha Seren was her name. She saved me after the orphanage burned down and raised me as her own. I was her son and student, and I, having never known another parent, thought of her as my mother." He smiled, still remembering every moment spent with her as clear as day. Then the smile faltered, as good turned to bad. "She died..."

He didn't feel like elaborating. Instead, he raised his cup of blue milk, clinging his against Balun's.

"As one orphan to another, I believe your parents would be proud of you, if they could see you now. Here's to us."

After their toast, Thurion referred to the family portrait yet again.

"As for my descendants, I swore I would never impose the Ways of the Jedi upon them. While they are all gifted with the Force, only a few have undergone actual training. They are free to choose their own paths according to the wishes of their hearts. I've fought enough battles to ensure their freedom of choice."

Finishing his cup of milk, he reached for the jug and refilled it.

"What about you, son? How far along are you in your training?"

Suddenly, a green apple was flung across the room, thrown from its fruit bowl and aimed at the back of Balun's head. A crude test of the boy's reflexes.

"This was my master. Asha Seren was her name. She saved me after the orphanage burned down and raised me as her own. I was her son and student, and I, having never known another parent, thought of her as my mother." He smiled, still remembering every moment spent with her as clear as day. Then the smile faltered, as good turned to bad. "She died..."

"Oh, I'm sorry" Balun apologised first, falling silent for a moment. He wanted to ask questions about Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield 's Master, but he instead raised his cup to clink it together with the older man's before lifting it further to his lips and taking an intentionally long sip.

Having tasted the sweet cocoa, he looked back to Thurion and then enquired, "I've heard of Masters treating their students like their own kids. Is this common?" he asked, somehow wondering if he was doing something wrong. He hadn't yet garnered much attention from Julius Sedaire Julius Sedaire . His Master was distant, and there'd been zero contact since they had first met and the old man had taken him on as an Apprentice.

"It's nice to see that an Orphan can find a family as large as yours, sorta gives me hope that I might find one one day" Balun spoke his feelings on the matter, "It's hard to know where you belong when you don't know anything about yourself" he added. It was interesting how Thurion had spoken of the people of Midvinter, as though it were his Homeworld. He had been an orphan, and so Balun assumed that, like himself, Thurion would have known nothing of his family or origins before then.

"As for my descendants, I swore I would never impose the Ways of the Jedi upon them. While they are all gifted with the Force, only a few have undergone actual training. They are free to choose their own paths according to the wishes of their hearts. I've fought enough battles to ensure their freedom of choice."

"Yeah, that's why I left the New Jedi Order. I liked it there, and I learned a lot, but I kept thinking about what life would have been like if I'd stayed with my Family. How different would I be, with life being woven by my own choices rather than being under the thump of the Jedi" Balun concurred, respecting Thurion's decision to allow his children the gift of freedom of choice. He had often wished that his parents had given him such a choice; "And I treated them like crap because of it" he admitted, a hint of guilt in his eyes as he glanced back down to his cup thoughtfully.

"What about you, son? How far along are you in your training?"

Suddenly, a green apple was flung across the room, thrown from its fruit bowl and aimed at the back of Balun's head. A crude test of the boy's reflexes.

The Force called to Balun almost immediately after Thurion had spoken, the foresight of his Jedi training enabling the boy to feel the incoming fruit. His left hand left the cup held in his right while he leaned sideways. The apple flew past his head before stopping midair a short distance at eye level, Balun keeping the fruit sustained in the air with his telekinetic prowess.

"I spent fifteen years with the New Jedi Order, and it's been two years on my own out in the Galaxy. I've been keeping up with my practice" Balun answered, and the apple was suddenly drawn into his left hand with a light slap against his palm; "And I was there when the Dark Empire attacked the Jedi Temple. I survived. I guess I've got to be doing something right".

M I D V I N T E R
H E A V E N H E I M
H O M E

"I've heard of Masters treating their students like their own kids. Is this common?"

"I'd like to think so," he replied. "But I doubt it. It's a special bond, that of master and apprentice. Some consider it just another duty, but they fail to understand the needs of a young soul. All children need a parent whom they can rely on for love and nurture. In my own experience, being a master means to be a father, teacher, and friend all at once. I had a padawan, once." He pointed to the pair of brown-haired ladies, the elder depicted as standing behind the younger, resting a hand upon the shoulder of the latter. "Valae, my adopted daughter, and her daughter Alva. They live here in Heavenheim, on the other side of town."

There was such pride in his voice whenever he spoke of his children, for if everything he's built came to ruin and ever battle fought was forgotten, they would forever remain his greatest achievement.

As Balun proceeded to dodge the apple and halt it mid-flight, then summoned it into his possession, Thurion nodded his acknowledgement of his skills.

"And I was there when the Dark Empire attacked the Jedi Temple. I survived. I guess I've got to be doing something right".

"Truly?" It was an unexpected boast from one so young. He consumed a mouthful of milk, wiping his moustache with his sleeve. "I too fought at Coruscant. I grew up in the hallowed halls of the Jedi Temple, a lifetime ago during the waning days of the Republic. I made my stand and would not allow them a single step forward."

His statement of having lived to see the Republic before the Great Schism might seem a rather difficult pill to swallow when taking into account Thurion's apparent age of a middle-aged man, and assuming that Balun knows his history.

"Ah yes, our midnight snack!" He popped out of his arm chair and jogged over duck under the kitchen counter to pull out a frying pan. A pair of eggs floated out of their basket and settled on the counter as he turned on the out-of-place stove, far too advanced to fit in with the rustic design of the house.

"Be a dear and slice a few strips of bacon for me," he said, picking up and throwing a sharpened kitchen knife at Balun. Apples were one thing.

It's a special bond, that of master and apprentice. Some consider it just another duty, but they fail to understand the needs of a young soul. All children need a parent whom they can rely on for love and nurture. In my own experience, being a master means to be a father, teacher, and friend all at once.

"I'm not sure I can relate", Balun commented on the Master and Apprentice relationship. It sounded great, but he hadn't experienced anything so profound. Balun had spent time on Corellia with Julius Sedaire Julius Sedaire , but the man was an old war veteran, part Jedi, part Rebel Soldier.

Julius Sedaire was grizzled yet confident, rugged yet well trained and extremely capable. But most of all, he wasn't exactly the vision of one that Balun imagined he could open up to just yet. They hadn't gotten to know each other that well, and thanks to his insecurities, Balun often fought with the question of his self-worth and whether he would live up to the man's expectations that someone like Julius would commit to taking Balun under their wing.

"Honestly, I would love it if I could earn someone's confidence in such a way," Balun admitted truthfully. He didn't make a habit of speaking honestly on his feelings when it came to such things. Familial relationships had only ever been a deep seated desire, a hope with no sign of ever coming into fruition. To have a Master not only instruct him in the Force but look to him as a Son?

Balun's gaze turned elsewhere, no longer feeling comfortable to keep the Thurion's eye.

"Be a dear and slice a few strips of bacon for me," he said, picking up and throwing a sharpened kitchen knife at Balun. Apples were one thing.

"Wait, Wh-..."

Balun quickly stepped aside as the large knife flew past his head and buried itself into the far wall at its sharpest point, the younger of the two glancing first at the kitchen knife before turning back to cast a side-eye back at Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield in disbelief.

The old man was crazy!

"Is this how you treat all of your guests?!" He asked, his tone one of alarm and suspense, not genuinely sure that he wished to hear the answer.

Thurion did not reply at first, stepping around the kitchen counter and leaving the frying of eggs in the capable hands of the Force. His hands behind his back, the old master tilted his head as he studied the knife embedded in the wooden frame of his fireplace. "Not bad, huh," he congratulated his own throw, only for his jovial mood to change the moment he turned to Balun.

"You caught the apple easily enough. What's so different about a sharp object? There are far worse out there than kitchen utensils, you know." He walked over and pulled out the knife, took a moment to run his thumb over the mark it left, then handed it to Balun. "Bacon, Balun. Bacon."

Returning to his station by the stove, he pointed to the piece of pork sitting on a cutting board on the counter next to him. "Come on." Once the young man had finally mustered enough courage to join him, Thurion continued the impromptu lesson.

"Know this, Young Master Vale: the shape or size of an object matters not. Your belief in yourself, and in the Force, does. You could have caught the knife as easily as you did the apple, yet your first reaction was to flinch out of fear." He stuck his thumb between his lips, having caught a drop of hot butter sputtering from the frying pan.

"What I speak is not bravery, mind you. It's not bravery to risk getting yourself hurt for no reason other than to show off, that's called being stupid. What I speak of is self-confidence; confidence in your training, belief in the Force, and mastery of your emotions." He flipped one of the eggs, preferring his over-easy.

"If you saw somebody about to attack another out on the street, how would you react?"

Balun smirked, shook his head several times and moved to join Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield in the Kitchen. "It's not so much that I couldn't catch the knife, but more my surprise that you threw it at me," he said, soon beginning to slice up the bacon as he had been asked to do.

Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el recently raised the subject of self-confidence with Balun back in the Hurikane Jedi Temple. When it came to fighting for others, Balun wouldn't hesitate. When it came to standing up for himself, however, well, that was another story. It was not so much a physical fight but more speaking up for himself, complimenting or justifying himself to others. It all came back to how he felt about himself.

"That's easy. I'd jump in and help the person being threatened. I'd try to talk the assailant down first, but if I had to, I would use force to disarm or immobilize them" Balun shrugged after having replied, not understanding the connection to how it applied to his confidence. He had been trained to stand up for others, and even since leaving the New Jedi Order, it was the one incentive that motivated him in almost everything he did in his life since. He wanted to help people and be a part of a community.

Codependence, however, was a double-edged sword, and unfortunately for Balun, despite not realizing or understanding what exactly codependent relationships were, that's precisely what was going on with him. It wasn't that he felt he needed to be a saviour; he didn't want to have to rescue others, but it did make him feel good to be able to help. It made him feel like a better person and helped him forget that he had been discarded like an unwanted toy. Something that, no matter how hard he tried to ignore or pretend that it didn't bother him, much of his behaviours and core beliefs stemmed back to his upbringing or lack thereof.

Thurion nodded. "Good man," he gave the lad a pat on the back. "As wielders of the Force, it's our responsibility to protect those that cannot. What I've come to realise in my many years, this talk of Light and Dark is ultimately moot. There is only the Force; it can be protective or destructive, give life or take it away. Light or Dark is simply determined by our actions — how we use the power of the Force."

He retrieved four slices of bread and placed them in the therma-slice whilst continuing his lecture.

"Now, it is still true that Sith and other dark followers are more skilled at lethal Force techniques, whereas Jedi lean into the nurturing, non-lethal techniques, but that doesn't mean you're 'locked in'. As we all know, there is light and dark in all of us. Good and bad. There are no shadows without light to cast them, and there is no manner of light that does not cast shadows. So it is that a Jedi, when pushed, can harness their inner darkness and unleash their so-called 'dark side', perhaps in a fit of rage or emotional turmoil."

Thurion caught the slices of bread as they popped out of the thermo-slice, placing them on a cutting board before scooping up the fried eggs and carefully placing them on top.

"Our training, our character, and our emotional state are what determines what powers we may draw from the infinite resource that is the Force. Sith are emotional beings, taught to always revel in their hatred and anguish. Jedi are taught to control their emotions so that we may better serve others, rather than ourselves. Hence the notion of Light and Dark — Good and Evil — came into being. But it is an illusion. There is only the Force."

Once the bacon was sliced and cooked to crispy perfection, it went on top of the fried egg, and a second slice of bread was placed on top of the bacon, thereby completing their late-night snack. Before they could partake, however, Thurion turned to Balun and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I ask you: does a Jedi who resorts to lethal force powers to protect others make him a Sith, all of a sudden?"

"Our training, our character, and our emotional state are what determines what powers we may draw from the infinite resource that is the Force. Sith are emotional beings, taught to always revel in their hatred and anguish. Jedi are taught to control their emotions so that we may better serve others, rather than ourselves. Hence the notion of Light and Dark — Good and Evil — came into being. But it is an illusion. There is only the Force."

The words of Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield were taken to heart, as evidenced by the boy's respectful silence. His intense gaze, though not directly on the older Master, conveyed his deep respect and attention. Balun had finished carving the bacon, and as he slid the chopping board closer to Thurion, he was lost in thought, reflecting on his experiences over the past year, particularly his times with Nouqai Veil Nouqai Veil and Cordelia Dimitte Cordelia Dimitte .

Balun was new to the idea of the Force being simply—the Force. He had only heard it described as two halves that required balance and moderation. Perhaps then, his association with Cordelia Dimitte, or a former relationship with her, hadn't been as sinful as he had thought. Nouqai was another example—the former Jedi Padawan turned Darkside, whom Balun had stuck alongside regardless of her association with the Sith. They were best friends; her alignment with the Force wouldn't change that.

"I've wondered about Jedi who associate with Sith and Darksiders. Or rather, it's just me who's been doing it. I had a girlfriend once who used to be an Acolyte of the Sith Order, and my best friend has been struggling between the choice of remaining with the Sith or returning to the Jedi." Balun spoke and began to unload somewhat unintentionally, somehow finding the ease of words without thought to keep himself as guarded as he usually might.

"In my defence, I managed to convince Cordelia to turn back to the light, but then she focused on killing everyone that practised the Darkside. I couldn't agree with that, and so I guess we went our ways," he explained, trying to describe the full story in a bit more detail that Thurion might understand. It had ended their relationship, and it had been Balun's first ever romantic experience; he had spent more time aboard the Liberty's Edge after that. Isolated as he travelled between worlds, his focus shifted away from Clan Terentatek to the Tingel Arm Coalition.

"I ask you: does a Jedi who resorts to lethal force powers to protect others make him a Sith, all of a sudden?"

"No, I suppose not. I mean, I can't say I've used a lethal Force Power myself, but I guess it's similar to when a Jedi is forced to kill someone. Obviously, we try to avoid hurting others wherever possible, but sometimes we're forced into situations that we can't get out of" he shrugged a little, giving his best answer without truly dedicating himself to a definitive yes or no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom